63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

March 30, 2007
Ultimate Altman?
Graham J

October 27, 2011
Altman's hilarious look at compulsive gambling is perhaps his most underrated film.
Pierluigi P

March 2, 2008
An amusing and completely uncategorizable film that captures the mood of its period, an atmosphere long gone by now where the low life and unstable compulsive gamblers round up looking for little green papers to pass through the week or more hopefully to heal their wounds. As some other works by its director, it feels over talky, anarchic, scattered, erratic, but he always gets the best out of his cast, giving them time to improvise and take it to the wildest, in the case of Elliot Gould. He and George Segal were perfect for the job, the chemistry is real, un rehearsed. Although the story doesn't take much chances, the reliance on its actors' charm is what makes it quite enjoyable.
rubystevens
rubystevens

March 21, 2008
a stellar tragicomic buddy film about compulsive gamblers. extremely natural, even by altman standards. elliott gould at his manic peak
Ken S

June 18, 2007
Near perfect Altman, Segal and Gould are on fire in this small time gambler character comedy.
Michael S

April 2, 2007
Altman's most underrated film!
Adam M

June 1, 2007
Altman hit his goal of replacing plot as much as possible with character observation; Segal and Gould are great
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

April 21, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]Directed by Robert Altman, "California Split" is a rambling, episodic tale of two small-time compulsive gamblers in Los Angeles. Though they share an obsession that rules their lives, they could not be any more different. Charlie Waters(Elliott Gould) enjoys gambling, lives by his wits and bets on anything and everything. However, Bill Denny(George Segal) is miserable and gambling does little for him. He still has one foot in the mundane world by working as a writer for a magazine but he is also divorced, gambling possibly having ruined his marriage.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]By eschewing a traditional narrative structure, Robert Altman is able to avoid the cliches that occur in most addiction movies(such cliches explaining why I have not been favoring any of the drug movies I have seen recently). The movie does not pass judgment, just observing and trying to get inside the gamblers' heads. And thanks to two excellent lead performances, it succeeds.[/font]

April 13, 2010
I think this is one of Robert Altman's best's and it's very funny too. It's one of those all good things must come to an end pictures with two great stars. I love the way how Altman introduces me to the game of poker and gambling and the characters who overlap and talk whenever they please.
Sarah P

July 25, 2007
Elliott Gould creates a hilarious character and makes for a great, funny, and somewhat tragic film
March 23, 2014
Just a good movie, hard to say why. Elliott Gould and the strong ending basically made it for me. A real solid character piece.
October 17, 2009
I loved this one. It shows you why gambling is so hard to stop. It also shows what gambling rooms are like in NY back in the 70s. It was fun.
August 28, 2012
Excellent, loose-limbed gambling film, with Segal and Gould as betting buddies who take an odyssey through everything from racing tracks to back-room poker and everything in between. Lots of great character action and interaction. Altman keeps the pace brisk and light, even when things get more contemplative. Interesting especially in coming out the same year, 1974, as "The Gambler," which was definitely darker. The music, such as it is, comes from a bawdy lady piano singer who provides entertaining counterpoint to the action.
jam233
September 27, 2009
A bit too scattered, and there are some downright boring stretches. Decent cast, but it just lacks focus. A little too talky at times as well. Still, some great scenes here and there.
August 3, 2014
"California Split" vence como filme sobretudo pela forma como nos envolve na camaradagem entre dois apostadores compulsivos, que não mereceriam a mesma empatia se estivessem isolados um do outro. O que Altman consegue, com a sua habitual encenação livre e narrativa ambígua, é deixar que cada um, se assim entender, opte pela amizade ou pela fortuna como o prémio a atribuir aos dois principais personagens. E nada disto é assim tão certo porque há sempre 6 ou 7 maneiras diferentes de ver o mesmo filme de Robert Altman. De resto há também que dizer que nunca haveria um "Sideways" sem primeiro haver este "California Split".
July 4, 2013
Exceptionally seedy tale of two guys who let gambling overtake their lives. That sounds depressing but the film is something of a comedy, especially because it stars Elliott Gould, in rare form as a free-spirited hustler, and George Segal, as a rather more straight-laced magazine editor down on his luck but open to possibilities. Altman uses 8-track sound (i.e. 8 microphones) to ratchet up the ambience -- lots of overheard and overlapping improvisation going on -- and there are a lot of "authentic" extras here, gambling their lives away. As I mentioned, the people are seedy, the gambling rooms (apart from Reno) and the track are seedy. There's fighting, part-time prostitution, beer and froot loops, and the dream and desperation of winning big. However, is that's really what these guys want? Not as great as McCabe and Mrs. Miller or The Long Goodbye -- with less of a plot and possibly more character development -- this is sticking with me the next day.
August 30, 2008
Like all of Altman, its about something else - and its a wild ride through addiction with this little-seen 1974 excursion. Two unforgettable guys, two prostitues with hearts of gold and a plethora of background stories make up the tapestry here but were left with a hollow feeling come the fianle as we come to realize we've witnessed a true 'rock bottom' moment for one of our characters. More powerful than most Intervention episodes I've seen...

April 13, 2010
December 6, 2007
Classic Altman. George Segal and Elliott Gould--god the '70s!!!!--are both terrific here as two guys who meet and bond over gambling. Loose and rambling but quite charming. Gould is especially outstanding. You really wanna hang out with these guys, and the two "ladies of the night" Gould lives with. A terrific surprise.
November 16, 2012
There are some pretty hilarious scenes in this film.