• R, 1 hr. 33 min.

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Calvin Marshall Reviews

Cynthia S

March 27, 2012
I put this movie off for a long time, because it was supposed to suck. Well, it didn't. Not at all. This was a rather enjoyable, rather well done little movie. Alex Frost (Calvin) reminded me ALOT of a young John Cusack. Nice movie...
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 21, 2011
"Ambition Charm Delusion"

Calvin Marshall is the name of the movie and of the lead character. Calvin has high hopes of being a baseball superstar, but he can't even play for a little Junior College team. The coach let's him hang around though because he doesn't have the heart to tell Calvin that he just doesn't have any talent.

This is by no means a great movie. It's an average one at best, but it has a lot of likable qualities. First, all of the characters are likable. Calvin is a hard working and nice kid who loves baseball. The girl he likes Tori is a beautiful, charming, and nice star volleyball player, who is going through a tough time. Coach Little, played really well by Steve Zahn, is a hard ass on the field with his players and a drunk off the field. But we see what he's really like when he talks to Calvin. He may not admit it, but he likes having Calvin around.

Overall I enjoyed watching Calvin Marshall. It's not a movie that you feel the need to see more than once. It doesn't have a star-studded cast. It's not a big budget comedy with tons of laughs. It's just a charming little Indie Drama/Comedy that has a heart and is easy to like. If you need to kill an hour and a half, it's not too bad. If you never see it, well, that wouldn't be to big a deal.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 24, 2011
A hit comedy about losing

Great movie, I really enjoyed it. It was a smart but funny movie with a nice message. The film Calvin Marshall transcended your typical sports film to convey the choices we all face in life when it comes to following our dreams, our talents, and what is important in our life. It's not a fairytale story, or the story of the kid from the wrong side of the tracks overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, or the story of the washed up veteran making an improbable comeback, this is the story of everyman. Steve Zahn absolutely nailed his character and put up one of his best performances, if not the best performance, of his career. I love sport movies!

Calvin Marshall's childhood dream of playing Major League Baseball is in serious jeopardy as he can't seem to make the Bayford Bisons Junior College team. A poignant comedy about Calvin's deferred dream and the people in his life who want him to succeed.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 8, 2010
Cast: Alex Frost, Steve Zahn, Jeremy Sumpter, Michelle Lombardo, Jane Adams, Diedrich Bader, Andrew Wilson, Cynthia Watros, Abraham Benrubi, Catherine E. Coulson, Douglas Rowe

Director: Gary Lundgren

Summary: Though he has no athletic ability whatsoever, college student Calvin Marshall (Alex Frost) is so blindly single-minded about making the school baseball team that Coach Little (Steve Zahn) -- a former minor league player -- relents and lets him on the squad. But when he's sidelined by an injury, Calvin has an opportunity to discover his true talent in life.

My Thoughts: "It's not a bad film, but it's not great either. It's just a bland movie. Not to much going on to keep you interested throughout. The characters are OK, but you don't really connect with any of them nor do you care to. They are just very bland. The only character that showed any real life was Steve Zahn's character as Coach Little. His character was funny and most of the time, the most enjoyable to watch. Definitely a forgettable movie."
kinadeon
February 20, 2012
This one really surprised me. Within the first few minutes, I came pretty close to stopping it and picking a different one from Netflix.

Calvin was a great character to root for, as he stubbornly keeps trying to make the college baseball team. Having no real athletic skills, he quickly becomes the laughing stock of his peers.

The story really develops the three main characters: Calvin, Calvin's coach Doug, and Tori, who plays Calvin's volley-ball-playing romantic interest. The coach really reminded me a lot of my freshman baseball coach, Coach Alvarado. And the chemistry between Calvin and Tori seemed very raw and authentic. I don't think she was smoking hot, but that's exactly how the girls seemed in high school or college.

A great movie, which smoothly juggles the baseball, coming-of-age, and romance elements all in one.
shawndeeds
November 22, 2010
Heart. One word that means so much, not only in this movie, but in every aspect of life. Anybody can be a great athlete, musician, politician, or teacher, but the really, really great ones stand out because of their heart. From Bill Russell to Jack White to Abraham Lincoln to my 10th grade Biology teacher Mr. Miller, they all had heart and were separated from their peers because of it. And if you have heart, sometimes you don't have to have all the talent in the world, as is the case with Calvin Marshall. Calvin is played by 23 year old Alex Frost, whom you may (or may not) remember from Gus Van Zandt's Elephant, or the main bad kid from Drillbit Taylor. Here he plays a, lets face it, a pretty terrible baseball player, but with hopes and admirations of being a professional baseball player. The other problem is, he's been cut the past three years by his junior college baseball team. But this year is different, and he manages to pull at his Coach's heartstrings and talks him into sort of being on the team. Coach Little sees a bit more in him than his assistant coach, but knows that he'll never quite make it. Steve Zahn is down right amazing in his portrayal of a former Minor League player, settling for a coaching job because even he wasn't good enough for the Majors. If anybody knows what it takes to get there, its Coach Little, as he attempts to prepare Calvin for options in case he can't get there either. But Little wasn't quite prepared for the "heart" that Calvin proves he has and Calvin wasn't quite prepared to fall in love with the new star volleyball player, Tori Jensen. Tori is played by Michelle Lombardo, a very tall, beautiful brunette who got her start in the Adam Sandler film Click. Tori has turned down several 4-year offers from major universities to stay home with her parents as her Mother is sick and dying. This for me, was one of the more sad things I remember seeing lately. I couldn't help but tear up as she sat by her Mother's side getting her drinks and being there for her. Eventually Calvin and Tori start to see each other and finally hook up, but Calvin has fallen in love with her. Sadly for Calvin, Tori doesn't feel the same. Everything in his life seems to have taken a turn for the worse. But when the worst is presented in front of us, those with heart have the ability to power on and see things through. And like I've said, Calvin definitely has heart! The ensamble cast also features Jeremy Sumpter (Sasquatch Gang), Andrew Wilson, Diedrich Bader (!) and the always lovable Abraham Benrubi in great supporting roles and Gary Lundgren writes and directs his first feature film. With all those parts all working in unison, its no wonder this film works on so many levels. Ross has done it again!
August 21, 2011
I JUST LOVED IT! No other words to describe this light, heart-felt and mesmerizing movie of friendship, love and baseball!
August 18, 2011
The Trailer is rather than confusing, because by it one can assume it is a comedy about a dreamy baseball fan who loses his way to make him a good player of the sport he truly loves. Instead, it is a drama when the lead character confuses even more with his rarites. but, somehow i found it interesting. Alex Frost is a good Actor, as well as Michelle Lombardo. But i couldnt stand Zahn same acting shouting and loser style.
April 26, 2011
I agree with a previous poster... Frost looks so much like John Cusack it's hard to even pay attention to the rest of the movie.

Steve Zahn was pretty great, but something seems kinda skimpy about the movie over all. I can't quite describe it other than to say that it felt sorta under-developed. But I'd watch it to get a sense of Frost now to see where he started to compare to where he goes as an actor (like an early Ryan Gosling); I think he has loads of potential.
April 11, 2011
Interesting mix of heart, humor and love.
March 18, 2011
Steve Zahn saves the day. Alex Frost as a John Cusack wanna-be does his best to portray a romantic baseball idealist. The script falls apart in the second half and could have used some serious editing to keep the dream alive.
March 7, 2011
It's like Rudy but for baseball. And Steve Zahn hasn't been this good since That Thing You Do.
March 1, 2011
Yet again another baseball movie. What else would you expect? In short it's "Say Anything" thrown in with some baseball. Not a bad story but the execution fell short. Since the Indie boom took place the term Indie has been more of a style then actual being independently financed. But in the case of this film the lack of a major studio's budget is evident. Of course it will make it's way into my baseball movie collection.
October 29, 2010
An interesting indie movie that features a likable lead player, that is enthusiastic and persevering but also delusional when it comes about baseball.
Zeppo1
September 24, 2010
*** (out of four)

The material itself isn't overly original, nor is it admirably profound, but it does hold certain truths and certain assumptions that make the film worthwhile.

Calvin Marshall (Alex Frost) attend s a small college in Oregon. His passion is playing baseball, but he isn't the best player out there and is reluctantly cut from the team by the cranky coach (Steve Zahn). The team is made up of some talented ball players, but none of them have the passion that Calvin does for the game. Calvin concentrates on chasing after the star volleyball player on the girl's team.

I like the way the film explores how being good at something is far different than being having passion for something. Calvin may not be good for baseball, but baseball is good for him.
Esme G.
August 9, 2010
really enjoyably, Frost is perfect for the main role
Freddy V.
April 30, 2010
TV movie feel. The script, the performances. Took itself seriously but without depth. Like it that it's independent though. Sorry its not good.
Barbara T.
March 25, 2010
Great independent film with a lot of funny moments...and a lot of heart. No huge stars here--and that's part of what I like about it. Steve Zahn is excellent as a has-been minor league baseball player-turned college coach, and relative newcomer Alex Frost is superb...reminds me of a young John Cusack! Go see this movie!!! :)