Camille - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Camille Reviews

jjnxn
½ November 4, 2014
Great sets but everything else is why silents are often derided. Nazimova could not possibly be more affected or more of a screen hog relegating everyone else to the sidelines. Her hair is a rat's nest of staggering proportions. Valentino's part is small and while he's not great he's better than almost everyone else. An artifact.
February 26, 2014
Rudolph Valentino is outstanding in this unique silent telling of the Alexandre Dumas classic. Alla Nazimova is definitely moving in her interpretation of the ill-fated femme, though not in Garbo's class--nor is Smallwood George Cukor's equal in the director's chair. Very pleased it was included as a bonus with the more famous 1936 version, nevertheless.
jjnxn
½ November 4, 2014
July 7, 2014
A heartwrenching tale with a sad ending. It has a fine cast and storyline. I like the Greta Garbo version but this version is intriguing since Nazimova plays her character so believably well that you get drawn to her character. Rudolph Valentino was adorable as her lover!
March 27, 2014
Rudolph Valentino stars along side Alla Nazimova in this great movie, you go through some-what of a mood swing watching the movie, you go from sad, to happy to excited. you really feel how Armand feels. Great powerful ending, all around a good adaptation of Alexandre Dumas's La Dame Aux Cameilias.
May 19, 2013
as in you must be joking too old for me!
January 14, 2013
Camille is a courtesan in Paris who falls for a young man. But after his father begs her not to ruin his chances of a career and a position in society, as well as his sister's marriage, she agrees to leave him; a decision which leaves her poor and unhappy. A young charismatic Rudolph Valentino lifts the standards of this perhaps overtly dramatic film, that cannot shift away from the vehicle format, in this case dedicated to lead actress Nazimova.
½ September 18, 2012
skip this see garbo's version
½ June 6, 2011
Although a silent movie, the emotion really gets through and grips the audience. I find silent movies so fascinating because they have so much more to give and so much more to portray without the use of sound. Thought it was superb
½ January 4, 2010
"If chance could be bought with gold-like a woman- you might be the winner, my dear Count!"
A very beautiful, classic, romance film. The set is astonishingly modern and is apparent in many scenes. The acting is well, dramatic and compliments the film and plot excellently. I really enjoyed this film.
December 7, 2009
I LOVE this version, Alla is just fantastic. Art deco scenes and costumes are just excellent. Major interesting details: The snow coming from the windows during the party, the shadowy curtain and Camille round bed !!!
June 16, 2009
Interesting over-the-top art deco sets that generated comment even at the time. This film version is too short to really do justice to the story though, and the pace doesn't allow much for an emotional connection.
November 28, 2008
This story has been remade so many times, that the early version feels too familiar. And I found Nazimova's hair way too distracting... The sets were beautiful, though.
½ September 16, 2008
A version of the "Lady of the Camellias" very modernized. I was impressed by the art and costume design that are very inventive. Alla Nazimova, with her wierdness, didn't fit with the character and Rudolph Valentino, although his role was reduced by Nazimova (because she thought he would steal the show :))) , manages to give a credible and impassioned perfomance and make his presence felt. I never saw the version from 1936 with Greta Garbo, from what I heard Garbo did a better job than Nazimova.
April 27, 2008
This is another oldie
½ August 22, 2008
Superb art deco sets. I for one really liked Alla Nazimova's hectic, haunted Marguerite. Valentino was ok, but I just can't bring myself to really like him.
July 6, 2008
Alla Nazimova portrait the character of Marguerite perfectly! This is best version of 'Camille' ever made.
July 9, 2008
This version didn't really interest me either.
June 4, 2008
This was a very well made and affecting silent version starring Azimova and Rudolph Valentino. I loved the Art Nouveau look of this version which I guess was set in 1921. The acting was good - now I want to see more Azimova movies. I found her version of Salome on Netflix so i will check that out.
May 11, 2008
Good art-deco version, but Garbo still makes the best Camille thus far. Rudolph Valentino would have been a good match for Garbo.