Camp

Camp Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 23, 2009
Cast: Don Dixon, Anna Kendrick, Daniel Letterle, Joanna Chilcoat, Robin de Jesus, Steven Cutts, Vince Rimoldi, Kahiry Bess, Chris Spain, Sasha Allen, Alana Allen, Egle Petraityte, Dequina Moore, Stephen DiMenna, Tiffany Taylor, Stephen Sondheim

Director: Todd Graff

Summary: Camp Ovation is a performing arts summer camp where talented kids come to spread their wings. Among them are Vlad (Daniel Letterle), a "bona fide straight boy"; Ellen (Joanna Chilcoat), a megastar with huge insecurities; and Michael (Robin de Jesus), who's struggling with his sexual identity. Their director, Bert Hanlon (Don Dixon), is a washed-up has-been -- but the kids have at least as much to teach him as he has to teach them.

My Thoughts: "I was a bit surprised on how bad some of the acting was considering what the film is about. Although it got a bit boring and definitely had quite a few cheesy moments, I did find some of the movie funny. Anna Kendrick doesn't have much screen time, but you can tell that she out shined them all in the acting and it's no surprise she's doing so well now. Although the film isn't great it does tread on some serious issues for teens and their relationships with their parents. I felt awful for Michael and the one who had her mouth wired shut (forgot her name). I won't deny that there is talent in the movie, it's just the star doesn't shine as bright for some then it does for the others. The film in the end is forgetful."
Daniel J D

January 12, 2011
It lives up to its name. What more is there to say? Well, other than that, yes, all the singers sing rather well and Anna Kendrick clearly shows talent here that we get to see more of in her later films.
Leigh R

July 12, 2010
I was rather bored watching it, but some of the cast has got some awesome talent. Letterle, Chilcoat, and Kendrick have amazing voices. But the movie was totally worth getting through to the end to see, I believe it was, Taylor sing at the end. That girl was SPECTACULAR!
Nicki M

April 18, 2009
This looked great on the previews. I was surprised I didn't actually enjoy it all that much. Acting okay, but not that interesting.
Daniel P

June 2, 2007
"You know, I think I've met your sister, Cinderella." Five stars? Hell yes. For me, star ratings are kind of dependant on what a film sets out to achieve, so whilst this many not be an all-out masterpiece a la Hitchcock, Polanski, 'insert your favorite auteur here' etc etc., Camp accomplishes exactly what aspires to, delivers in spades, and is in my view very successful indeed. A mixed group of talented kids go to drama camp for the holidays to act, sing and dance - for some, Camp Ovation is the only place where they feel they fit in - it's a place where they can escape, or follow ambitions, or reset their personalities, and subvert their own and others expectations of them. The characters, chief among them 'plain Jane' Ellen (Joanna Chilcoat), handsome, somewhat confused and attention seeking Vlad (Daniel Letterle), gay outsider Michael (Robin DeJesus) and talented Dee (Sasha Allen), are surprisingly well crafted for a modern 'musical', and the actors who portray them are a talented bunch of people (Robin DeJesus is particularly impressive, and Daniel Letterle gets to show he's more than a pretty face as the movie progresses). Some may accuse the story of being predictable, but it has conviction and follows through with plot points that in lesser films would be forced to the background or kept as subtext. Director/Writer Todd Graff, drawing on his own experiences at a musical camp, displays a knack for one-liners and adolescent emotions (sexuality is especially well realised), and the musical numbers are very well staged. Funny, perceptive, emotionally engaging and way better than I had expected it to be. Crank up your volume for the musical numbers. "I tell you something. They're a bunch of little freaks... and the more normal we try and make them, the more lonely and isolated they're gonna feel."
Sarah P

January 11, 2011
It was kind of ironic that a movie about learning how to act featured mostly bad acting (although I don't think that's what they intended).
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
A campy musical about kids at music camp.
nikkiamenee
April 3, 2010
This is something you really need to watch when you're expecting really corny bad stuff. But if you're in that mood, it can be slightly entertaining.
May 21, 2007
Awww. I had such high hopes for this movie, especially in the first twenty minutes or so. I immediately recognized the framed picture Michael had on his dresser, exclaimed, "That's Stephen Sondheim!" and settled in for what I assumed would be a marvelous remaining 90 minutes.

Unfortunately, things started to unravel. Characters were revealed to all be nasty and unpleasant, or have nasty and unpleasant things done to them for no reason at all. It tried to wrap it up in the end with a "we're not all perfect" theme... but what am I to do when everyone I felt sympathy for had been crushed and then returned to be crushed again by those I *didn't* have sympathy for? If this was meant to be some sort of social drama, or satirical comedy about friendship, it could have worked, but the entire movie suggested teen comedy involving musical theater. And then it went the completely wrong direction for that genre. The only really good thing about this movie was the snippets of songs from truly great musicals that found their way in.
missbook008
July 18, 2008
It's so amazing! The music gets me every time! The story is great and it's an all around good movie!
July 28, 2007
It was ok. The singers and songs were good, but the plot of the movie was pretty mediocore. It was still a good movie. I recommend it to anyone whos into musical theatre, they would love this movie.
yodigee08
December 30, 2007
I can say this movie is a great movie. Plus it showed us at the end when the girl song the song for the first time. Her father was surprised at her that she was able to do that. He always would complain to her how fat she was. But I guess he knew then once she sung that song. Even tho! she tried to change but he needed to except who is was and that is who i am. That is wat she meant about the whole song!
November 7, 2007
HAD I gone to sleep-away camp for theatre, it probably would have looked a lot like this. The film is awkward at moments, yet that is exactly how summer-camp crushes are! Oh and there are greatly talented young people doing great music in this film.
Jennahern
March 21, 2007
thought this movie was actually about something but then i watched it and realized that it was not!!!
January 23, 2007
When I first saw this independant movie I was totally taken aback with this film . I loved it and love all of the songs in it. This movie has a wonderful message behind it which is to just be yourself and do what u want to do regardless of what others think or tell u to do in your life. I'd have to say my favorite scene in this movie would have to be when the girl is singing a song out to the crowd and to her parents about "Here's where I stand and here who I am". But all of these actors our great and you will def want to watch it again and again...
gms1yygy
March 30, 2007
"Here's Who I AM" - good song and good idea. A movie with weaknesses and strengths. Probably not the best you've ever seen, but worth seeing anyway.
geekishx3beautyqueen
June 14, 2007
i absolutely love this movie. its refreshing to see something original when there are so many remakes and sequels being made right now. the talent is AHMAZING... just wow. i could never sing or do anything like that even if i tried
LeifSkywalker
March 12, 2007
I would have never sat through this movie if not for it being required in my theater class. After watching it I must say it is a lot better than most movies claiming to be teen comedies.
SickWithTheMusicSyndrome
July 1, 2007
The dude looks exactly like my brother.
The movie is weird but it's good. I totally know what that gurl feels like.
thatspoetic
June 24, 2007
A feel good musical movie about teens a musical theater summer camp. It's a very cute coming of age story that is easily related to. The music is catchy and the cast is very likable.