Camp Nowhere Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 6, 2014
Mediocre Comedy that relies on a predictable, over done formula and boasts a lame cast, a poorly written script, and offers no effective comedy. The film is a poor attempt at making an entertaining feature, and there is no redeeming factor in the story. I found Camp Nowhere to be tiresome and a waste of time. This is a bland affair that doesn't offer anything of note. Christopher Lloyd has made far better films. Camp Nowhere might have worked with a better script, but it just fails. Camp Nowhere is mediocre, and the film started off quite amusing, but it just ended flat. By the time the credits roll, you feel like you wanted more out of the film, and it's a movie that could have been done much better. The comedic material is just stale, and overall it's a flawed comedy that doesn't deliver any laughs. If you're going into this film expecting something good, you'll sadly be disappointed. This film offers nothing of note. Camp Nowhere is just a collection of dull ideas, poor performances, and poor direction. The material is mediocre, but the execution feels rushed and poor. There seems not to have been any effort in making a coherent, funny and entertaining comedy. Camp Nowhere feels rushed, and it is a clichéd film that just leaves you wanting more out of the film. Like I said, Christopher Lloyd has made better films, and here he's just wasted on an underdeveloped film that is laugh free and has a boring cast of actors. Don't watch this film if you want an entertaining and funny comedy; Camp Nowhere is a mediocre outing that leaves a lot to be desired.
cosmo313
September 10, 2012
For anyone who ever had to attend some sort of summer camp as a youth, you might find something to enjoy with this light heart comedic fantasy.

Nerdy Morris "Mud" Himmel is not enthused about the prospect of having to spend the summer at a boring, generic computer camp. His friends are equally as unenthusiastic about being sent to their special summer camps as well, which include a theater camp, military camp, and fat camp.

Things take a turn for the awesome though when Mud gets the idea to create their own, secret camp. To pull this off, they enlist the help of crazy high school drama teacher Dennis Van Welker who acts as mentor and camp counselor when they create the camp of their dreams at a former hippie commune.

It's the ultimate summer fantasy come to life. There are basically no rules (save for not getting caught), and, best of all, no adults are in charge, save for maybe Dennis, but even he only marginally counts as an adult authority figure type.

Things start off great like you might expect, with the kids going totally wild. Of course, reality does set in, and the kids must come to terms with life, and, whether they like it or not, their coming of age might be fun, but it won't be without tough times and valuable life lessons.

This is a fun movie, and I really loved it as a kid. Back then though, I wasn't viewing movies through the lens of both enjoyment and artistic merit. As such, this movie isn't as great as I remember, and is indeed, really formulaic and predictable. But it's still a lot of fun though, and can be enjoyed even more when looked at through the lens of 90s kitsch, of which this film is overflowing.

The acting is pretty typical of kid's movie (by and large), but it's not the worst thing in the world either. Plus, they managed to get a really notable cast of adult actors, including Christopher Lloyd as Van Welker, Thomas F. Wilson as a lawman, M. Emmett Walsh as a different lawman, Wendy Makkena (the shy nun from the Sister Act movies), Star Trek alums Kate Mulgrew and Jonathan Frakes as parents of some of the kids, and, in a brief cameo, Burgess Meredith as an old hippie who instills his ideas of freedom into Mud.

The cast is there, the concept is there, so had the script and the acting also been a little better, then yeah, this could conceivably been a fondly remembered cult classic instead of a slightly above average youth romp.

Look, I like this movie, but will admit that it's really not all that special. It's a lot of fun, and certainly not boring, but there are far better kid oriented films of the 90s that stick to the ribs better than this one. It's still a noble effort, though.
March 11, 2008
This is what youth is all about, some people like Goonies but I like this one better. Its just very cool and clean
August 18, 2007
A cheaply made harmless summer camp comedy for kids. It has a few laughs.
August 25, 2006
Okay film.
½ June 6, 2011
a comedy that is serously going nowhere! and only christopher lloyd can save this comedy, and with no help and all it came is a sortiof funny annoyance, sorry chris, you tried your best. D+
September 29, 2007
A past childhood favorite and a guilty pleasure of today and also its a camping movie which I have a soft spot for!
June 1, 2008
It has its moments. Most of them come from Lloyd. His talent is vast underrated. Probably because he picks crappy movies.
½ March 2, 2008
I saw it when i was little and thought it was awesome. Now that im 19 i dont think its as great as it was 10 years ago
July 4, 2007
Funnie movie. Kids love it cause they would love to ditch their parents and do things their way all summer.
June 5, 2007
Love this movie when I was a bit younger. I think Christopher Lloyd is an acting genius in his own right and he turns in another very good performance in this very funny comedy.
March 12, 2007
I loved Andrew Keegan...He looked so hot it the movie...lol...I always wished that could happen in real life..but my mother is just way to smart...lol
April 18, 2006
killer movie. Who doesnt love kids tearing up a place exploring kidish dreams and freedom and learning a lesson at the end of it all?
December 15, 2006
I saw this movie when I was younger and staying at my dad's. I think it's one of the funnier ones out there. It's what made me fall in love with Christopher Lloyd!
October 24, 2006
Kids will buy into the stupidest movie concepts. Back in fifth grade, all my friends and I thought this was the coolest movie ever.
½ November 14, 2013
A harmless family Movie about summercamp. Clever plot, good pace, and with a good mix of plenty of fun and a bit of drama its simply well made. An enjoyable way to waste ones time and worth watching just to enjoy the great performance by Christopher Lloyd.
½ October 7, 2013
One of my favourites :) Though it's as old as I am, I've loved it since the first time I watched it and try to never miss it when it's on tv. Though the idea of the film is obviously not likely (and in this day could never ever happen) it's still good. I can't explain the element that makes me like it. It's funny.. but not too funny that I could say it's my reason for liking it. I really don't know, it's just one of those movies I enjoy for no particular reason i guess. Anyway, if you see it on tv, watch it and see what you think.
April 1, 2013
Maybe is not the best camp movie based ever, but it could bring us some childhood memories and nowdays kids would enjoy this as well.
January 19, 2013
As a kid I LOVED this movie! It's every kids dream to go to a camp with no rules and no strict schedules. I think the actors were great, though looking back I might question some of the situations that they encounter as slightly questionable considering the intended audience.
October 29, 2012
Camp Nowhere is a very funny film that will keep you wondering what is going to happen next.
Morris âMudâ? Himmel (Jonathan Jackson) has the same problem as his friends. He is getting sent to a boring summer camp. They hate going, and would do anything not to go. Together with his friends, he creates a plan to trick all the parents into sending them to a camp that he designs which would be a parent free world. Blackmailing former drama teacher, Dennis Van Welker (Christopher Lloyd) into persuading their parents into believing that the camp is the real deal and they are not allowed to visit.
I love the film Camp Nowhere because you are always wondering if they get caught. I also like how the phrase âno parents, no counselors, and no rulesâ? basically describes the whole film. The background music fits perfectly with the scenes. I love the acting and think it is very believable. It feels so real. My favorite part in this film is when Dennis acts like all the different camp counselors. It is so funny when he has different hair styles and different clothes. When Dennis is acting like the camp counselors, itâ(TM)s funny to see that the parents actually believe him.
Jonathan Prince is doing a great job in directing this fun and exciting film. The writers for this film are Andrew Kurtzman and Eliot Wald. It also stars the actors and actresses of Andrew Keegan playing the role of Zack Dell, Marnette Patterson playing Trish Prescott, and Melody Kay playing Gaby Nowicki.
One really good message that I found in the film Camp Nowhere is that when you have a problem do something to get rid of the problem. Morris has a problem and he is doing everything he can to fix it.
I recommend this film for ages 10 to 15. I also think that this is a good film for the adults to see as well.
Overall, I give the film Camp Nowhere 5 out of 5 stars because it is very funny to watch and will have you laughing a lot. In my opinion it has good acting, itâ(TM)s great for kids and teenagers, and you are always wondering if they get caught.
Reviewed by Brianna Hope Beaton, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic