• R, 1 hr. 35 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Canadian Bacon Reviews

Apeneck F

April 9, 2013
Michael Moore's comedy may not be for everyone as evidenced by the disparity of reviews here ... but I laughed throughout. The jokes may not be huge, certainly not as big as the egos of the countries it lampoons, but there was a undercurrent of truth in the gags that'll keep 'em in yer head long after you see it.
Phil H

August 13, 2011
Very clever and very amusing comedy staring yet not centred around John Candy, this is more of a vehicle for many good character actors including Alan Alda, Rip Torn, Dan Aykroyd, Kevin Pollak and G.D. Spradlin.

The US President is losing in the approval ratings so on advice from his yes men he invents a war between the US and Canada, that is the plot and its brilliant. Michael Moore writes, directs and cameos in his film which is far better than you would think despite it vanishing into obscurity after release.

A minor political satire mixed with black comedy and outright stupidity added with some great performances which really send up the US government, Alda and Torn in the war room together are brilliant, there is also quite abit of influence here from other classic films. One such scene where Dan Aykroyd as a Canadian policeman pulls Candy over in his truck pointing out that the graffiti on the side of his truck must be in French as well as English for all French speaking Canadians which bares a very close similarity to the classic scene in 'Monty Python's Life of Brian' where the Roman centurion orders Brian to spell check his graffiti he had scrawled all over the Roman walls.

Great little gem :)
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 31, 2011
Canadian Bacon is a very underrated comedy. Directed by documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, Canadian Bacon tells the story of an unpopular U.S President trying to gain popularity in the polls by trying to start a new cold war with Canada! As a Canadian I found this to be a very funny film filled with the usual stereotypes. Michael Moore's script is witty and original. The cast headed by John Candy (in his last role) are all terrific. Each bring something to the screen which makes Canadian Bacon an above average comedy. This is a very clever comedy with political overtones and it works. John Candy is terrific in last performance. I though he brought on big laughs here as a dimwitted American Sheriff. The only thing that really sucks about this film is that it's Candy's last. Canadian Bacon is an original comedy with plenty of laughs that shouldn't be overlooked. Unfortunately it has, and it unfair because Canadian Bacon despite not being a flawless film is really a lot of fun to watch. If you're Canadian like me, you'll understand it's humour a lot more. Most people that this film a bad review seem to miss the point of this entirely. Oh well. Canadian Bacon is a well written, acted and surprisingly accomplished film by Michael Moore. The film may not appeal to everyone, but to those who enjoy such humour, you're in for a treat. This film is a definite comedy classic (for me at least).
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

May 4, 2007
I'm very fond of this. To me, it's a comfort food kind of movie. A very simple plot with lots of great comedic actors, a great script full of some fantastic one-liners and just an all around accessible story. It's not instantly relatable or anything, but the characters are a lot of fun. It's actually a movie that should've been made in the 80's but somehow got made in the 90's. It's got that kind of feel to it, especially with all of the cold war and nuclear missile talk being thrown around in it. I can't say for certain that Matt Stone and Trey Parker just flat out ripped this movie off because there are definitely some strong parallels between it and South Park and lots of visuals and lines that are very much the same in both productions, but I'll leave the speculation to those who love to speculate. I, meanwhile, will just enjoy a simple comedy with a mix of slapstick and sophisticated humor.
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
Very clever comedy, it?s funny cos it true! Moore (see what I did there) like this please! RIP Mr. Candy, you are missed!
Lafe F

August 3, 2007
A junk-box of a movie. It all feels cheap. The scenes in the CN-Tower were alright. The dull script didn't let John Candy be his usual funny self. SCTV is much better than this thing.
Jason S

January 31, 2007
Sucky way to end a career.
whosinthenews
whosinthenews

March 12, 2011
Preachy, goofy, hackneyed, hamfisted, socio-political morality play thinly veiled under the guise of a Chris Farley-style comedic romp.
Too boring and unfunny to be an effective satire, and too outlandish and simple minded to generate any real empathy for the average American. Basically a convoluted, unnecessary re-imagining of Dr. Strangelove.
Sarah P

November 16, 2008
A great satire on the American government's need for a boogeyman to keep the pulic in line and to pump billions of dollars to the defense industry. The cast was excellent and funny as well.
iLeo
iLeo

December 25, 2007
Hilarious!
Sean S

January 14, 2007
Once again the eternal struggle between Canadians and Americans is examined this time in comedy form.
July 31, 2010
The ridiculous exaggerated situations are funny& the lovable but dumb characters are well cast. This is a enjoyable and insightful comedy. Alan Alda, John Candy, Rip Torn, Rhea Perlman & a ton Canada stereotypes keep the laughs coming. Under all the laughs Michael Moore makes a few political points that are subtle and funny. He really should have continued making movies like these to make his points instead of his lazy excuse for documentaries.
May 18, 2010
Another brilliant comedy, often forgotten. All of the Canadians are playing Americans and the Americans are playing Canadians. This is definitely one to watch.
May 21, 2009
an enjoyable political satire from Michael Moore (wow, never thought I'd ever hear myself say those words). the writing is very sharp, and even subtle in places, but for all the humourous dialogue, the all-around film didn't seem committed enough--it was at an awkward crossroads of intellectual comedy and goofy sight gag slapstick. there also seems to be an overabundance of stereotyping, which can be hilarious to a point, but tiresome when overdone. a fun an entertaining movie with a great cast, but the overall quality is pretty mediocre.
walftone
May 3, 2009
I loved John Candy in every movie of his I have ever seen except one. Yes, this is that one. Very sad that it was also his final film before his untimely death.
wolfrattle
March 3, 2009
This is one of those movies that they used to run all the time on comedy central and I remember always catching it on sick days.
dlp1965
February 9, 2007
I just watched this movie again and it wasn't as great this time for some reason. It was still funny and I laughed and enjoyed the humor but I can't say that it is still one of my favorites.
June 25, 2007
Had a funny screenplay from writer/director Michael Moore and a good cast, but wasn't quite what I hoped for.
August 20, 2007
Some real funny parts, and the idea for the film is hilarious, but the film loses so much steam by the end that you just don't care about any of it.
fallingpigs
July 2, 2007
There was some funny moments in this show but not good enough for me to want to watch again or say it was worth while.