Cannibal! The Musical (Alferd Packer: The Musical) Reviews

½ August 4, 2010
From a very young collaboration between pre-famous Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Cannibal is the most amateur venture I have seen of them so far. This is the best indicator of their future success with the Broadway hit The Book of Mormon, and involved little to no South Park voices, which crop up in their later film, BASEketball. Still, though the graphics are student film project specific, and the sound is echoey in the best of circumstances, I thoroughly enjoyed the irregularity of the humor, and the open gross out makeup, including axes in the face, limbs being eaten, and frost bitten appendages. For a student film (Parker worked on this during his time at the University of Colorado) it's really professionally cast, the effects aren't altogether sloppy, and the plot, though sporadic near the end, actually has a resounding action, and is historically accurate though stretched to involve dark comedy. The songs themselves are for the most part really catchy. The title theme is a lampoon of Oklahoma's "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" and the score weaves throughout, though there is a hint of synth leftover from the eighties. My personal favorite was "Let's Build a Snowman" which you can watch on Youtube without ruining the rest of the movie for yourself, and is probably the singular most hilarious part. Very kooky, and not anything you could expect, sit back, build a snowman, and enjoy.
½ March 31, 2011
........ Genius.
arashxak
½ March 25, 2010
Occasionaly hilarious specially in its ending but nothing memorable really, A disappointment since my expectations were too high
April 27, 2009
Some funny moments that are over shadowed by aweful (not on purpose) acting. The low budget production is abismal as well.
puffchunk
December 2, 2007
This movie has everything. From Mormons that turn evil, to Japanese Indians, to songs about building snowmen when you're lost in the wilderness, to chopping off the heads of fur trappers who steal your woman. I mean horse. See it with the whole family.
June 10, 2007
Made by Trey Parker of South Park fame when he was in school, this is a funny and tragic tale of a group of goofy gold-rushing guys who get lost on a journey through the Colorado mountains, and end up eating each other. It's done with a bunch of funny songs, sung in stage-play fasion. I really like the "Let's Build A Snowman" and "Hang the Bastard". The production quality is surprisingly good for a school assignment. The jokes are hit-or-miss. I showed it to a few friends, who got bored and wanted it to be shut off. The pacing was a bit slow in spots, so could've been edited tighter. Overall, it's an enjoyable romp which I often re-watch.
nuheart
May 3, 2007
Funny, but a bit longer than it maybe needed to be. Try watching it back-to-back with RAVENOUS.
½ April 25, 2007
This movie is so awesome. I think my favorite joke is the anachronistic Indians (I don't want to ruin the surprise), but the whole movie is really funny. It's like a live-action episode of South Park. With horribly, insipidly catchy songs. See if you can stop singing Schpadoinkle Day. I dare you!
½ March 2, 2007
Absolutely hilarious, if you are in to the Parker/Stone sense of humor. Easily on par with Orgazmo or South Park, but with an added independent spirit. Plus, the DVD has one of the funniest commentaries that I have ever heard.
November 20, 2006
Silly comedy musical from the creators of the excellent South Park. In fact, one of the best songs in it is used as the riff at the end of the southpark credits. Crude, rude and totally brilliant!!!!
March 18, 2013
When "South Park"'s Trey Parker turns a true story about cannibalism into a musical, it's bound to be funny. Alfred Packer (Parker, unrecognizable beyond his wide, innocent eyes) incompetently leads an 1873 expedition through the Rocky Mountains, and desperate hunger leads to chomping on some fallen comrades. The inserted songs show Parker's legitimate musical talents (long obvious to "South Park" watchers), and there are odd random elements such as a disgusting cyclops, an undersized guy who's keen to get laid and a tribe of Japanese people presented as "Indians." The film has no budget (the synthetic musical arrangements are home-studio tacky, and much of the action seems like a band of actors wandering around the same patch of snowy terrain), but Parker's wit saves the day. Predictably, the gore is too cartoonish to be truly disturbing, so tender viewers need not be afraid.
½ January 29, 2013
Co-creator of South Park, did an absolute crap job at directing the comedy musical, Cannibal! The Musical. This movie was nowhere near as interesting as the title would imply. It dragged for almost the whole film, I'm not even saying cut it down, just don't make it. There were exactly two moments I got kick out of, other than that I was drenched out. With the fake mustaches and stupid ending, it felt like a middle school play.
½ November 5, 2012
Creators of 'South Park', Trey Parker and Matt Stone give us a hilarious low budget musical masterpiece. Sometimes it seems the only reason Trey and Matt make movies or television shows are for Trey to show off his dynamic musical and singing affinity. Full of songs that will stick in your head for weeks and keep a smile on your face, this is not a movie that can be easily described to a friend, rather it has to be seen to be believed. If you appreciate the humor of Trey Parker and Matt Stone in their other ventures, this is a sure fire winner for you.
June 19, 2007
The first film from Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Gore, low production values, and ridiculous songs. The drunken commentary track is funnier than the movie itself.
½ November 29, 2011
"Cannibal! The Musical" is a very funny, surprisingly enjoyable, low budget spoof from the creators of TV's "South Park" that never seems to overstay its welcome. Sure, there are times where the jokes miss and there are scenes that are incredibly dumb. The film definitely gets less funny as it progresses and the musical numbers often don't feel right, but it's never boring, and I laughed a HELL of a lot of times. Film don't usually get me to laugh as much as this one did.
February 7, 2010
The low budget makes this a little hard to watch but overall it's still got the brilliance that people will come to expect from Trey Parker and his buddy Matt Stone. I think I will go make a snowman.
½ November 6, 2008
Catchy songs. A mix of lame, clever and genuinely funny comedy. Worth a couple watches for sure.
Jossepi
½ March 18, 2009
Come on. It's from Trey Parker, creator of South Park. This is based on true event. Lots of South Park elements. Lots of fun musicals. Lots of stupid scenes because simply the entire event was simply stupid in the first place. So why not make it a musical? This film rocks!
June 13, 2008
When Trey Parker was just a wee lad he directed this awesome little musical as only Trey Parker could.
May 6, 2007
Funny, good songs. I liked it, but that's just me.