Captains of the Clouds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captains of the Clouds Reviews

½ July 4, 2007
While suffering the burden of being a propaganda film, Captains of the Clouds actually has some substance when it's not showing the inspiring nature of "technical scenes."
½ August 7, 2005
ALWAYS INTERESTING WORLD WAR II ACTIONER, GREAT CAST HEADED BY THE ALWAYS GREAT JAMES CAGNEY. SOME GOOD FLYING SEQUENCES, GOOD PLOT AND WELL WRITTEN.
March 24, 2016
It was a coincidence, this being Remembrance Day, that I threw on this selection from the James Cagney Signature Collection DVD boxed set, and it's weird that this Hollywood film came out as a tribute to the Royal Canadian Air Force. Really unique as a war film, and I loved Billy Bishop's cameo, in his full title, giving out 'wings' to those fortunate pilots who successfully passed RCAF training. Especially recommended for fans either of James Cagney or war films in general.
January 15, 2016
Cagney's character was actually quite irritating with his arrogance and stupidity. To believe that the Canadian air defenses would allow two unidentified planes to buzz an awards ceremony at one of their air bases strains credulity.
February 26, 2014
June 17, 2013
I yield to no one in my admiration of James Cagney as actor. But quite frankly, he's too urban, too much from the sidewalks of New York to be a convincing Canadian bush pilot. But Brian McLean is a typical cocky Cagney character. So if you can get past Cagney's speech pattern, you'll enjoy the film.
March 24, 2013
What is special about this movie is that the real Billy Bishop appears near the end, and Jimmy Cagney is timeless. A Canadian connection makes it personally fun.
½ February 2, 2012
Typical WWII-era Hollywood gloss, but the characterizations are decently-drawn, and the aerial photography is dynamic (by the standards of the time period, at least). Cagney's playing the kind of guy he could play in his sleep, but he still manages to find some little quirks that make him quite compelling to watch. Plus, it's always nice seeing character actors like Hale, Tobias, and Gardiner show up.
February 2, 2012
a WB technicolor WWII pic
October 24, 2011
A nice tribute to the Royal Canadian Air Force is the only highlight to this clunker. The most interesting character (Brenda Marshall, who bares a striking resemblance to current actress Viva Bianca) is dumped midway so that the feuding bush pilots can enlist. The fate of Cagney's character is so humorously anti-climactic that it could go for a replay or two. For aviation enthusiasts only.
½ July 7, 2007
This is fantastic! Canadian bush pilots signing up to fight in WW II. Very memorable. Terrific ending.
½ June 7, 2009
I really enjoyed the first half of this movie. The second half is also good, just inferior to the first. James Cagney gives another excellent, entertaining performance. I also enjoyed the supporting cast in this film.
½ October 6, 2008
Beautiful technicolor aviation photography, and a very interesting character in Cagney's Brian McClane, but overall not the subtle propaganda that films like The Sea Hawk or Casablanca provide. Much of the film's running time is spent rallying the audience for the RCAF, but it admittedly works. Curtiz is having fun here, and Alan Hale is good as usual, as is Cagney. Brenda Marshall is suitably unlikable, although her presence is not necessarily a plus.

B
½ March 23, 2008
Good enough for what you'd expect.
March 9, 2008
I laughed so hard at the plot . . . so corny.
February 19, 2008
Cagney in Technicolor. Cagney in the cockpit. Cagney in ...Canada? An enjoyable movie, but it's actually too long, with much of the running time spent establishing Cagney and the rest of the bush pilots as bush pilots. Brenda Marshall's story is thrown away as fast as Cagney's $4000. This is another of those movies where Cagney has problems with authority and his own ego, which inevitably get other people maimed and killed. We all know he'll learn his lesson and come around, but will he get out of it alive? I make it sound like a bland formula movie, and while it IS a formula movie, it's starring Cagney and thus can never be bland. I liked the flying sequences, even though there may have been too many of them and some of the model shots were rather obvious (not something that you should focus on in a movie of this age). For fans of Jimmy and flight enthusiasts, this is, at the very least a fine film to have playing in the background while fixing a meal as it does not demand your total attention.
November 13, 2007
I love that the entire basis of this movie is Canadian bush pilots, a certain romanticized profession I personally find fascinating, not to mention my slight bias in a great interest in flying, planes, and of course, pilots. Cagney is great as the rogue flyer, the man who steals the business, the man who steals the girl, for good, but almost wholely misunderstood reasons, and the man who tries to fight for his country, but, ultimately being the maverick that he is, is unable to do so. I loved this movie, right up until it's intense, and unexpectedly emotional, conclusion.
September 24, 2007
One of my favourite movies. This is no small part due to the fact that one of my grandfathers actually met James Cagney. The flying sequences impressed me greatly. The story while not necessarily better than other war movies of the period was certainly no worse. James Cagney of course deserves to be remembered as one of our greatest actors. All in all a good movie.