Captains of the Clouds Reviews

½ July 4, 2007
While suffering the burden of being a propaganda film, Captains of the Clouds actually has some substance when it's not showing the inspiring nature of "technical scenes."
February 26, 2014
It was a coincidence, this being Remembrance Day, that I threw on this selection from the James Cagney Signature Collection DVD boxed set, and it's weird that this Hollywood film came out as a tribute to the Royal Canadian Air Force. Really unique as a war film, and I loved Billy Bishop's cameo, in his full title, giving out 'wings' to those fortunate pilots who successfully passed RCAF training. Especially recommended for fans either of James Cagney or war films in general.
June 17, 2013
I yield to no one in my admiration of James Cagney as actor. But quite frankly, he's too urban, too much from the sidewalks of New York to be a convincing Canadian bush pilot. But Brian McLean is a typical cocky Cagney character. So if you can get past Cagney's speech pattern, you'll enjoy the film.
½ August 7, 2005
ALWAYS INTERESTING WORLD WAR II ACTIONER, GREAT CAST HEADED BY THE ALWAYS GREAT JAMES CAGNEY. SOME GOOD FLYING SEQUENCES, GOOD PLOT AND WELL WRITTEN.