—— The Identical Sep 05

June 12, 2008
Glossy junk.
Michael G

August 28, 2007
It would be so fucking awesome if TCM and my cable company could synchronize their watches so I won't miss the end of any movies my DVR records. Because of this I invested 2 1/2 hours of my life only to miss the last 2 minutes of The Carpetbaggers. This isn't to say I completely wasted my time because I really dug what I saw. Picture Russ Meyer making a cleaned-up, yet trashy mixture of Citizen Kane, Written on the Wind and The Aviator. George Peppard plays a megalomaniacal asshole, Carroll Baker plays the opportunistic slut trying to do right and Alan Ladd plays the leathery, alcoholic father figure. The score is good and you know you're in for some fun from as early as the sensationalist title sequence--because really, what can you expect from shots of clouds at 10,00 feet with oversaturated red lettering flying at you?
June 14, 2011
Ruthless & Cruel Jonas Cord (George Peppard), is a Career Maker & Breaker but someone you don't dare care about because he feeds on your weakness & will eventually use it against you if you dare to care.They say that this is based on Howard Hughes, if that is the case, no wonder he became a recluse.
jazza923
February 20, 2007
It looks like a lot of money went into this film, the sets, costumes etc are all first rate. It remains interesting throughout in spite of it's staggering length. Overly melodramatic with little regard for the time period it is set in. A high class soap opera, and oddly entertaining because of that. The whole movie is overdone and loosely based on Howard Hughes.