91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Carve Her Name with Pride Reviews

Lanning :

May 27, 2011
WOW! I ran across this gem quite by accident. While I think it could have used a bit more active editing for tightening up, this is one emotional roller-coaster of a viewing ride. Beautiful. And based on a true story. If you are a fan of unique war movies, this is the one for you. An amazing story of true bravery and patriotism. I am instantly a Virginia McKenna fan.
jjnxn
jjnxn

February 4, 2011
Solid filming of the story of a very brave ordinary woman and the chances she took for a cause she believed in. Excellent performances.
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
Another great film I have loved since childhood! I was very lucky a few years ago to meet the granddaughter of Violette Szabo and I had a fantastic conversation with her about this story. Should be compulsory viewing!!!

June 27, 2011
Wanting to do the right thing and bring a French soldier home for a dinner hosted by her French mother(Denise Grey), Violette(Virginia McKenna) meets Etienne(Alain Saury) in the park and invites him along. Romance soon blossoms between Violette and Etienne and in the sole moment when her friend Winnie(Billie Whitelaw) is not present to chaperone them, Etienne proposes marriage. They have a baby, Tania, while he is fighting in World War II. Sadly, he dies in the Battle of El Alamein. Six months later, Violette is summoned to the pensions department to see Potter(Sydney Tafler) who asks her if she would like a pension of her own as a liaison to the French resistance...

...and that's where "Carve Her Name with Pride"(based on a true story) should have started. The movie tries to infer that Violette is motivated to volunteer by Etienne's heroism but I feel she would have done so anyway because World War II was a time when ordinary people were called on to do extraordinary things for their country. Rather, I think the movie is structured this way to establish without a doubt the baby was not born out of wedlock(Quelle horreur!) and to set up the emotional payoff, allowing the movie to unfortunately slide into being a cliched soap opera at times. From what I can see here, Violette was extraordinary but the movie, left in a conflicted position of not knowing what to do with a female action hero, was made at a time not long after women were told to return to the safety of their homes to be just mothers.
August 10, 2013
Just watched Carve Her name With Pride. Truly one of the great British 'War films'. Gripping and very moving. I could totally sob right now

June 27, 2011