Movies Like Casper - A Spirited Beginning

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Casper - A Spirited Beginning Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
I only watched this because it went along with the other two Casper movies, but it's a prequel, most prequels aren't good, and this is no exception. It has a bit of the charm from the first two, but overall it's just so-so.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 11, 2009
Casper is timeless
Jason O

September 10, 2009
"Casper - A Spirited Beginning" isn't anything like the first Casper movie and it isn't as good, but it's still a good movie in its own way. In this movie, Casper befriends a 10-year-old boy who believes in ghosts. The boy is the only person that's not scared of Casper, so they become best friends. The bad thing is that the boy's father is real busy and never seems to pay attention to his son, and the worst of all, the father has a plan to tear down an old haunted mansion so the town can have a new shopping center. However, nobody seems to like the idea of getting rid of the old mansion.
"Casper - A Spirited Beginning" is a good movie in most ways. Casper and the same 3 ghosts that were in the first Casper movie are back in this one along with a bunch of new ghosts including one that looks like a huge version of Slimer from The Ghostbusters. "Casper - A Spirited Beginning" has an interesting plot, parts of it are funny, and it has good animated effects such as an old graveyard and a train with a skull on the front of it. If you like Casper movies, I recommend getting "Casper - A Spirited Beginning." It's a new beginning to a new kind of Casper movies, and it's good. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000.
Yinalí R

August 6, 2007
Cool
M9z8759483
January 28, 2010
casper a fun sequel with rodney dangerfield it is a fun casper film it was funny and remember this as a young child
Hamee
February 2, 2009
I am pretty sure that at some point I watched this. I really loved all the Casper movies was I was a kid.
WDCsoftballgirl2
February 16, 2008
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
hamletmusketeersbond
January 2, 2008
excellent children's movie. haven't seen the original, but this one is great, especially with James Earl Jone as as another villain and Lori Laughlin as a motherly figure in a young boy's life.
July 20, 2007
Loved this movie when it first came out, I haven't really watched it lately. I liked Shannon Chandler because she was in Beetle Borgs and it was the first time I saw her in something that wasn't related.
November 23, 2009
Worse in every respect. Bad effects acting and plot just dumb
September 14, 2013
Le falta la profundidad y el aire frío que tanto caracterizaba a su ¿secuela? y que la hacían especial. Una lástima.
Dammy  G.
February 28, 2013
An abysmal prequel to a really bad movie.
The Critic
November 4, 2012
A predictable but cute prequel to 'Casper' (1995) that will satisfy its young audience.
October 10, 2012
Oh boy. Oh boy, is the child in me grounded for a month. Here's goes: I used to like this trash as a child.................................................yeah. Decided to take the memory lane trip. Realized how horrid it was.

The first movie had great CGI and it still looks amazing. The CG in this is poor. This film looks like a kid with aftereffects did it. What do you expect from a direct to video film.

The editing is sped up and lazy. Just watching the slapstick just makes my brain bleed. It's like it was made for kids with ADHD.

It has the typical kids becomes friends with inhuman creature plot, the typical school bully villain, and it just your lazy 90's kids film.

To let you know how bad this film is, here's the plot in a nutshell: We have a mansion that needs to be knocked down for no reason, other people are protesting, Steve Guttenberg's character hires a demolition expert to blow up the house, the bullies put Chris inside and lock him up, the father discovers this and tries to get the demolition expert to stop, but he wants to destroy the house with the boy inside anyway......... yep, the demolition expert wants to blow up the house even with a boy stuck inside. Either the writers have forgetting to make the demolition expert care or he's just a horrible person similar to Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs.

The whole battle between Steven Guttenberg's character between Chris's teacher is muddled up and confused. She's suppose to be a friend to Chris but slags off his father in front of him. What a nice lady!

It throws all logic of ghosts out the window as the finale involves Casper eating the dynamite and it explodes inside him. Yes, he ate it and it didn't go through him. Remember in first film where the ghosts were eating the cakes and they were going through them? Did the makers of this film forget to watch the first film. Oh, yeah. There's bit where Casper sits on a rusty spring and it hurts him...............................................................HOW CAN A SPRING HURT A GHOST? You might as well shoot the ghosts and they will feel pain.

This film is downright horrible. This film is best laid to rest.
August 26, 2012
If i'm right, I remember seeing this on Cartoonnetwork. It was ok.
August 12, 2011
I used to watch this movie when i was little! Now im not so sure about it! i need to watch it again! But without a doubt its good for kids!!!
christopher p.
August 11, 2011
This film has horrible effects and doesn't even come close to the 1995 version. And what really bothers me is that the kid doesn't even get scared when he sees casper, he actually gets happy. That kid has some issues. Yeah it's not very good.
knowlesey
November 24, 2010
While its no match for the 1995 version its a fairly good kids flick that went straight to video back in the late 90's. Its definitley aimed at a much younger audience so its not as enjoyable as the first, but theres still enough there to make it watchable. I didn't really like any parts that had Kibosh or Snivel included, two ghosts from the undead world. A lot of slapstick humour as well, most of which didn't work out too well. Overall young kids will get their kicks out of it and enjoy it.
Travis M.
December 28, 2009
Casper: A Spirited Beginning fails to impress its audience and doesn't know how to hold an audiences attention very long.
Eric Curto
December 2, 2009
Well this what happens when a great film is given a rushed prequel, with none of the original actors and a new continuity. This prequel or perhaps restart is an okay film. Its not horrible, but it was direct to video and you can tell from every little part of the film. It plays very much like one of those ABC Fsmily original movie in terms of the looks of the scenes.
I enjoyed this film, but regardless of what they say its in continuity with, its a film on its own. I mean where will you ever see Paulay Shore and James Earl Jones participate in a film together, even if it is just voice work.
3 out of 5 stars