20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cast Away Reviews

Graham J

December 11, 2011
Hanks is Zemeckis' Jimmy Stewart.
Lucas M

January 28, 2012
The best island story I had saw since the french tv movies Robinson Crusoe with Pierre Richard
c0up
c0up

November 18, 2010
'Cast Away'. Tragedy and euphoria on the smallest and biggest of scales. It's all relative when you're alone for an age on an island! Tom Hanks turns in an amazing performance. The writing and direction is spot on too.
Scott G

March 24, 2012
Probably one of the best disaster emotional films ever. A classic game of survival that is played absolutely perfectly.
Joshua W

March 17, 2012
WILSON!!!! WILSON!!!!!!!
Albert K

September 29, 2010
Slow, quiet, but effective survival movie. I also praise this movie by how the movie turns away from the typical Hollywood ending with a theme that truly drives this movie to be a one-of-a-kind.
Tyler K

September 4, 2011
The movie was good, but a bit long. By all means, length doesn't matter to me when it comes to movies. The Longer the Better, in a sort of way. I could probably watch a 5 hour long movie if there was one (that was good, I knew there are some). Of course, I would have to watch 2 hours a night, though. Anyway, (sorry, got a bit carried away there), I wasn't exactly referring to the island part of the movie, but I was referring to the ending. It felt like the ending was literally an hour long, and I mean it. I was just like "He's off of the island, he's back home, the movie should be over!". It may not seem like a big deal in this review, but if it we'rent for that, I would have given this movie 4 Stars, rather than the 3.5 Stars assigned. I actually almost feel sorry for giving this movie this rating, but the ending was just way to slow and long for my taste and comfort. For a similarity, take the movie "Saw" for example. That movie is about 1 Hour and 30 Minutes in length. But, what if there was an extra hour after the actual ending of the original cut, and that hour was Dr. Gorden's wife and kid trying to find him, and the police force locking down the apartment complex as well as wondering how Tapp died (if he did die; sorry for the spoilers, too) when they found his body. Not really interesting, is it... well, at least to me, considering that I loved the ending (as well as almost everyone who saw it).
Eric A

August 9, 2011
Just saw this a year ago (yes, 10 years late) & and had to do a report on it for one of my college classes. Let's just say, it was the most fun i've had writing a paper. Remarkable acting by Tom Hanks as he kills this amazing script.
Shawn E

July 10, 2011
..And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 10, 2011
Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks collaborate once again here to make another great drama film. Cast Away is a fairly simple story, a guy working for Fed Ex gets involved in a plane crash, survives then gets caught on an island. Cast Away is a simple drama film that succeeds on many levels. Tom Hanks is able to make the seeming boring plot into something entertaining. Cast Away is a well acted film with a strong cast, a good story and good directing. Zemeckis crafts a film that leaves the viewer questioning what will happen next. The film is never dull because it always leaves the question of what will happen to its main character lingering. Theres a good dose of drama here as we see Tom Hanks character trying to keep his mental state intact. Cast Away is a well done film and what I love the most about the film is the fact that used one actor for pretty much the whole movie, and they made it entertaining. I thought the toned down cast was terrific. There really isn't that many actors in this film, and the fact that Tom Hanks has 2 hours of screen to himself amd makes it work is terrific. Cast Away is a superb film thats very well acted by Hanks and is fairly entertaining as well. Cast Away is not a film for everyone, but if you enjoy Tom Hanks, then you should give this one a look. A very well done film thats very good, despite its simplistic plot.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
Cast Away is either a movie that people hate or love. As an update to Robinson Crusoe, this is about as good as you're going to get. In fact, it's the best movie based on the character. It's also somehow really original in its own right. Sure, the basic idea is the same, but the execution and character development is so different and in many ways superior. Basically giving Tom Hanks free reign to do what he wanted was a risk, but one that was rewarded with a tour-de-force. He completely carries the movie and gives one of the most honest performances of his career. It's very rare that you can spend almost two hours with only one character appearing on screen. However, Cast Away does that and more. This is suc a captivating experience that I don't think will be matched any time soon.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
Heartbreaking story of survival. Tom Hanks is great but it would drag on sometimes. It doesn't a very high entertainment value for people not very interested in movies mote than the common man. Good movie.
Kristijonas F

March 21, 2011
Although it is a bloated, exhausting movie, Cast Away continues Tom Hanks' unbelievable trend of film successes with his inspired performance and the movie's uncompromising story.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 16, 2011
A work of genius, Hanks is tremendous, story is great, but I just wish I felt more at peace with the ending.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 16, 2010
One word - WILSON!
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is the type of movie where the whole thing is make or break if the lead can't successfully carry things. These types of movies are tough, but I applaud anyone willing to try to make a movie where most of the running time focuses on a dude who's by himself and there's lots of patches with no dialogue. Hanks does a fine job here, and the cinematography is just gorgeous.

It amazes me that this was made in an era where people don't typically think about trying to make a movie like this, much less actually do it. For that I am both happily surprised, and relieved to see that there's still some balls and creativity present in the world of major studio filmmaking.

It does run kinda long, and could have been greatly tightened up in some places, but this is still a moving and engaging survival story that works best as an allegorical psychological yarn, and not something more concrete.

A little flawed, but good stuff nonetheless.
Richard C

June 26, 2010
A-
Nani V

August 9, 2007
Cast Away has to be one of my new favorite movies. I've only seen it three or four times, but each time I can't ever seem to control my emotions when it gets towards the end.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
ive always loved this movie, its amazing, Tom Hanks shows total dedication to the role!!
Its not an exciting , most dialog movie in the world but it stills manages to keep you interested and watch it till the end!!
Really one movie to watch!!
KJ P

January 14, 2010
The perfect adventure film!