—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Cauchemares (Cathy's Curse) Reviews

jam233
May 28, 2010
Poor horror films that creates little atmosphere and is nor very eerie or frightening. It's too tame. The acting isn?t very good and the low budget effects the film?s impact. The score is too much and doesn?t enhance the film, it?s distracting. It fails in all departments to deliver a horror film with any punch.
April 8, 2014
Pretty bland, it gets creepy at points but doesn't stick with the same scare. The little girl is very annoying and hard to watch, and the dialog is pretty unbearable as well. Typical plot with an alright story, but the execution fails at making it enjoyable.
December 27, 2012
Yep it's an awful movie, but it's so awful that it's laughable, yes I was laughing my ass off when I was watching this. The effects are laughable, the editing was laughable, the acting was laughable, the dialogue was laughable, the story was laughable, the scares were laughable, and the camera quality was laughable, yep the whole film was laughable, so yeah if you want to see a horror that is so laughably bad, this is the film for you.
Luc L.
October 6, 2010
It's awful...
Fantastically awful.
jazza923
May 28, 2010
37/100. Poor horror films that creates little atmosphere and is not very eerie or frightening. It's too tame. The acting isn't very good and the low budget effects the film's impact. The score is too much and doesn't enhance the film, it's distracting. It fails in all departments to deliver a horror film with any punch.
SteveMiller
February 5, 2007
Cathy's Curse
Starring: Alan Scarfe, Beverley Murray, Randi Allen, and Roy Witham
Director: Eddy Matalon

Little Cathy (Allen) is possessed by the evil spirit of her aunt who died around Cathy's age. She proceeds to drive her mother (Murray) and torment and murder others for no apparent reason...other than the plot says so.

"Cathy's Curse" starts out showing potential as a good ghost movie, but it becomes repetative and loses its way about the halfway mark. It makes sense the ghost hates women, given the events leading up to her death, but why go after the handiman (Witham)? Why try to kill the instrument of her revenge? And what exactly is it she's trying to avenge? The fury should be directed at Cathy's mom, sure. But the oter events?

This moody ghost film is torpedoed by a lazy script. I wish more filmmakers would realize that the "second draft" is a concept that's worth persuing when it comes to scripts.
Chaozengine
May 11, 2006
Unca back to tackle another film. This it's back to dive into some more horror.

"Cathy's Curse" ...

You know one of the hazards I'm beginning to realize about writing reviews is that sometimes you find yourself just going in thinking, "This is gonna be a dog." It's really not the fault of the movie, but just a general vibe you get. In this case the title just sounds crappy. Well, let's see if I can still be fair.

Well the first thing we get is a screen card stating: "DECEMBER 1947 - George Gimble, age 5, was taken from his home by his mother, who abandoned his father and sister Laura."

...well, so much for being fair...

Of course, next we see is Dad and Sis going after wayward Mom in a car. During the opening credits, Sis grabs the steering wheel to avoid a rabbit (how thoughtful) and ends up causing an accident that kills both Dad & Sis.

...damn rabbits...

Then [b]another [/b]screen card that states that George would ultimately return years later to the house with his wife and daughter Cathy. What's a matter, too cheap to hire a narrator, eh?

Then [b]even another[/b] card stating it's November 1979 (hence, the future since this was filmed in '77 - big deal).

Inevitably, while the couple settles in, Cathy is attracted to the room once occupied by her deceased aunt (George's sis).

Okay, to me this summarizes the movie, George/Dad II (Allan Scarfe) says: "Did you see the way she acted when she came in? I mean, Cathy. How comfortable she seemed to be in her room - and the whole house for that matter. And in a place she's never seen before."

Thank you, CNN.:rolleyes:

To make things worse, Mom II (Beverly Murray) apparently had "a nervous breakdown" and is on edge (nothing a Valium and some acting lessons couldn't fix). Cathy (Randi Allen) meanwhile begins rummaging thru the attic, finds a creepy doll and become mesmerized by a picture of her late aunt.

Then the neighbors come over and - how convenient - one of the is a medium! Mediumlady then say's that inanimate objects can talk from their experience.

::: Oh God, what did I get myself into? Did Ed Wood have a kid who made movies?? :::

Cathy then starts playing with the neighborhood kids "Accident", one child plays the daughter, one plays the daddy and drives real fast. At one point, Cathy tells the boy to say, "All women are bitches." and then tries to poke out a girl's eye with a nail.

You're sh*tting me, right?? -- oh, and were only on minute 17.

Well, the remainder of the movie is about as odd (and silly). I lost track of how many "WTF moments" there were in this flick. Don't get me wrong - this movie [i]tries[/i] to be a scary thriller [i]ala[/i] The Omen. It's just that it looks like that someone saw THAT flick and decided, "Oh, I can do that." The result is this mess.

Well, for what it's worth, there's some killing but they lack any sort of context (Why kill these people? How big of a c*nt was this daughter?).

The version I got, the film quality stinks (there's a constant line right down the middle of the screen) and the picture is blurry. Obviously, this is not a film someone wanted to preserve (gee, I wonder why). The editing is so subpar, well it actually defies description. All the acting is particularly bad, most in particular Beverly Murray who really delivers one of the worst performances of all time. Randi Allen plays the insufferable possessed brat and is absolutely annoying (though sometimes disturbing) to watch. In another surprise, this was apparently her only film.

[b][i][u]Fun rating:[/u][/i][/b] 2 - Honestly, Murray's atrocious performance and the unintentional(?) stupidity of this film saves this from the uncoveted '0'. That said, I would [i][u]highly[/u][/i] recommend chemical enhancement prior [b]and [/b]during this film. Otherwise, I am not responsible for property damage you cause from watching this film. You have been warned.

[b][i][u]Interest rating:[/u][/i][/b] 1 - only if you're a masochist or want to take a bet. The only people who might be interested in this flick are "So Good It's Bad" group - and even they might want to gouge their eyes after seeing this.

[b][i][u]TOTAL RATING:[/u][/i][/b] 2