• PG-13, 1 hr. 25 min.

April 7, 2014
Monday, April 7, 2014

(2012) Cellmates
COMEDY DRAMA

I would've given this film a bomb, but because it has put me to sleep every time I put it on, I'm going to give it at least one star for doing just that. The set up is a silly one, and it consists users to alter their brains to this kind of level. Stars Tom Sizemore as KKK supporter, Leroy Lowe who's just been sentenced to 3 years in prison while his best friend, Bubba (Kevin P. Farley) and 'cellmate' only get a year, for a multiple of offenses nothing to do with race. Leory also happens to be the movie's narrator, as he rants about his time being locked up in a prison with a warden named Merville (Stacy Keach) who takes great pride into managing his potato field, since he's won awards. When Bubba becomes a vegetable as a result of choking on a potato, Leroy then have to share his cell with a another cellmate who happens to be a refugee from Mexico called Emileo (Héctor Jiménez) who's being locked up because of his right to have better pay working with short hours. And at the same time, Leroy ends up corresponding with a warden's maid, Madalena (Olga Segura) by way of letters behind the warden's back, and without him looking. The only problem is that, all the letters are written in Spanish whereas it's only language Madalena is capable to understand. And that Leory needs the assistance of Emileo to help him translate what the letters are saying, as well as writing letters back to her.

One of the problems making a low budget movie is that that it eliminates specific questions that needed to be asked, while answering others, such as how did it come about that Madalena selected to correspond with the racist Leroy as opposed to the others, who also have to listen to the warden babble about potatoes? And since when did warden's respect letters from coming in and out, without trying to intercept any that may convict him? If Leroy assaulted Emileo, why wasn't it used against him? It is those questions and more which is why I can't recommend this movie, even though it has potential.

1 star out of 4
FilmGrinder S.
May 24, 2013
74%

Sizemore back in the game.
November 11, 2012
I really enjoyed this movie, very touchy subject material and I figure if you have a stick up your ass you might get a tad bent out of shape, but very funny flick. Take it as seriously as you did the Cohen's "Raising Arizona" and you will love it.
September 8, 2012
Just saw it. With a rewrite, and a more believable leading man, it would have been better. We did laugh, my lovely north Texas Mexican / American wife and I (white, conservative not racist type :) But there ain't no mountains in "east Texas." Nor is it anywhere CLOSE to the Rio Grand. The writer should have researched this. I couldn't get it out of my mind.
Still had it's funny, charming moments.
June 8, 2012
"Cellmates" successfully captures the essence of an offbeat comedy with a message.
June 6, 2012
Funny as hell.... Want a good laugh?? u have got to see this one..
Tomas H.
February 12, 2012
Browsing through Amazon's new VOD section I found this little hidden gem. What first caught my eye was a goofy-looking Tom Sizemore on the cover. When did he get out of jail/rehab? Anyway, I also recognized the guy that played opposite of Jack Black in Nacho Libre, Hector Jimenez.

Not expecting much but an hour or two of distraction from this likely mediocre movie I was delighted to have found a well-made and very funny film!

Cellmates stars Tom Sizemore who plays Leroy Lowe, a KKK leader sent to prison for tax evasion. He is first put into a cell with a fellow KKK member played by Kevin Farley, who is hilarious as the simpleton, Bubba. They get along "like two peas in a pod," but a sudden change of events pairs Leroy in a cell with immigrant farm laborer Emilio (a lovable and funny Hector Jimenez) who instantly riles Leroy's racial prejudices.

Leroy complains to the Warden (an impeccable Stacey Keach) but the Warden won't listen to Leroy's complaints. All he cares about are his prize-winning potatoes that are cultivated by his inmates.

After much (hilarious) conflict and fighting, Leroy and Emilio learn to get along and eventually become friends as Emilio helps Leroy win the love of the Warden's maid and Leroy helps Emilio write to the U.S. Justice Department for his wrongful imprisonment.

Everything from the acting to the directing and writing to the cinematography were excellent and were beyond what I was expecting from just seeing the cover. This is a genuinely funny and heartwarming movie that has intelligence, and bravely takes the taboo issues of race and immigration in the U.S. and makes them okay to acknowledge and even laugh at!
February 11, 2012
Saw it on Amazon VOD. Was actually really funny! Tom Sizemore is hilarious as a Ku Klux Klansmen (I know that sounds odd). The film boldly takes on racism but in a very tasteful way. The Mexican actor who plays opposite Sizemore is also very funny. Stacy Keach played the prison warden and is also fantastic.
Francis C.
February 11, 2012
Glad to see Tom Sizemore is back! Was a delightful indie film, that was surprisingly heartfelt.

Hope to see more from this director!
Takeshi K.
February 11, 2012
Really liked this film! An excellent film that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. I hope more people see it!
February 9, 2012
Great film! Very funny with fantastic performances from all the cast.