Movies Like The Steam Experiment (The Chaos Experiment)

97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Steam Experiment (The Chaos Experiment) Reviews

Phil H

December 4, 2010
Along the same sort of lines as 'Saw' with its 'people trapped inside a room' for the entire film, it does have some eerie and tense performances which do make you feel trapped and nervous whilst watching the film but the plot is so disjointed and senseless that it ruins a possible winner.
The cast is a reasonable ensemble with Kilmer, Assante, Eric Roberts and Pat Muldoon, with the idea of trapping people in a sauna to fry slowly to death is quite good, like I said it worked for 'Saw', but the director clearly strings the film out to fill time.
Some sequences are quite good and make you feel the heat but others are overdrawn and tend to jump from normality to not making sense very quickly. The ending really frustrates as you don't really know what has happened, was it in real time? the past? did it ever happen? was it just a dream or weird fantasy by Kilmer's character?? you could say that making you think is a good ending but this just annoys you because you wanna know damn it!
Roy G

September 17, 2010
Very disappointing, got me steaming mad!!
Carlos M

January 23, 2010
A demented professor wants to prove the effects of global warming by locking six people inside a Turkish steam room... What!, are you kidding me?! Who would ever come up with such a ridiculous idea? The only thing worse than this stupid premise is certainly its awful development...
Curt C

January 16, 2011
What a movie to return on. Sorry for the extended absence.

Val Kilmer threatens to kill hostages locked in a steam room unless a newspaper prints his theory on global warming. Armand Assante is the main detective, who may be the worst detective in the history of detectives. Not to go unmatched, Val Kilmer plays the worst evil genius I've ever seen.

As best I can tell, this was made as an excuse to show partial nudity and Kilmer making crazy faces at the end. I could care less about any of the hostages. There is a twist of sorts at the end that makes no sense. Absolutely terrible.
May 13, 2012
It starts well then it ends with not enough depth. Its a typical gruesome film that mainly relies on the blood for viewing impact.
jam233
July 2, 2009
This is not a good film. I dislike it when the low budget for a film is turned into a substitute for style. The crude camerawork looks just that. The acting is not impressive, the story is stupid. Poorly directed.
March 19, 2012
This is an ineptly made "film" with a nonsensical plot and thinly sketched characters. Val Kilmer plays a deranged scientist who seems to think that the effects of global warming are imminent, and so locks six people in a steam room to prove his point while he also uses them as a bargaining chip to get his "story" published. If that all sounds wacko, it's because it is. Nothing about this makes sense. Val Kilmer is basically portraying a stereotypical conspiracy nut job, but he doesn't even do it that well. And that filmmakers decided to drag global warming into this is even more stupid because it denigrates a serious scientific effort by putting it in the same category with people who believe(d) the world would end in 2012 (and schizophrenic madmen). Aside from him, none of the characters are really given any back story, or any reason to care about them. Armand Assante (as an off-duty cop) does a serviceable job with the material given him and kind of acts as the surrogate for the audience, in a way. He calls out Val Kilmer's character for what he is, and says what everybody in the audience must be thinking about him. Still, it looked like he was sleepwalking through the entire thing. Eric Roberts was the only other actor in this piece of trash that I recognized, but he's given even less to do as one of the six people trapped in a steam room (or are they?). Here is where the writing really lacked. There was no character development to give the audience any reason to care about them, aside from a couple sentences from each stating who they were, where they were from and what they liked/disliked. That's it. After that, it was just them hanging around and slowly going crazy after they find out they can't get out. I just have to say that the film-making here was rather shoddy. The editing was really weird, especially in the steam room scenes. You would have one character speaking, but then it would fade to another while that character was still talking, and replay bits of dialogue. Also, the steam room scenes occur in between scenes of Val Kilmer and Armand Assante and are shown in such a way that it appears that Val Kilmer is either telepathic/omnipotent or he's describing something that already happened, which would directly contradict what he said in the beginning of the movie. Considering that his character is crazy, I guess I could just let it slide but honestly, it's just poor writing, through and through. Val Kilmer's character is basically a Jigsaw wannabe, but only in his head. Even with the mental state of the lead character in question, the appearance of two people (coincidentally, the last two survivors from the steam room) still makes no sense in the context of the story and raises more questions than it answers. Overall, this is a frustratingly bad movie with poor filmic qualities, horrible acting and a story that's too thin and makes no sense. I look forward to never seeing this again.
April 15, 2012
I refuse to believe that such a terrible script managed to make it past the garbage can.
Dave J
September 14, 2011
Wednesday, September 14, 2011

(2009) The Chaos Experiment
HORROR

At the beginning of the film showcses a particular person at the North Pole getting infected after something came from the sky consumed by a single polar bear infecting one person, spreading the virus to others working alongside with him which includes scientists etc..The area becomes quarintined with notices to discontinue others from visiting them to this site and no one listens- this includes curious teenagers! Dumb, idiotic and low budget, lacking alot of incosistencies, influenced by movies like "The Thing", "Aliens" and other films similar like it! Starring Val Kilmer whose been starring alot of straight-to-rentals lately- this one should stay on the shelf!

1 out of 4
January 23, 2011
Val Kilmer, Eric Roberts and Armand Assante...I had high hopes for this film as I was slightly intoxicated and it was late. But alas, no. Doesn't really help get out the word about the dangers of global warming much either.
TickleMyElmo442
March 9, 2010
What the hell? Val what are youdoing..
shane g.
October 17, 2009
You see the boobies, but it's not worth it. They're nice, but this movie is awful. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
ReenaRose c.
October 17, 2009
Yikes!!! Dumb,dumb, and stupid. A bunch of fools, blood and murder. Was there a story?? I only blinked once. WTF?????
Scott Larson
August 18, 2009
Conceptually, there was a lot of potential with the Chaos experiment, it was the rest of the movie that made this as terrible as it turned out. The ending is just awful!!
kris a.
August 7, 2009
We have watched some bad movies but this is really the worst one.
Robyn G.
August 6, 2009
I couldn't make myself sit through the whole thing. UGH. It made me miss the sexy Val from The Saint=(
Wyn S.
August 4, 2009
bad movies stay away
Eric P.
July 30, 2009
Blunt violence does not a good movie make.
Paul Chambers
July 30, 2009
Six people are steam-broiled in a locked-down sauna. Who could ask for better entertainment...not! Paul Chambers, CNN.
Randall B.
July 21, 2009
Just plain awful. I wish I could get the 2 hours of my life back. Complete waste of time