Charley's Aunt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charley's Aunt Reviews

March 26, 2015
good comedy & vehicle 4 jack benny
½ July 19, 2012
Much of the slapstick business was taken from the 1925 film version with Syd Chaplin, brother of the world-famous Charlie Chaplin. The film later inspired Mrs. Dountfire & Tootsie.

American Comedian, perfected Violionist and orginal Radio DJ Jack Benny makes his first ever film debut as bumbling and niave Babs, but soon gets tricked into dressing up as school mates "Charley's Aunt" in order to intice 2 ladies into marriage. Benny is stubborn and a thickheaded manly woman who's posing as a spainard widow. Unknowningly, Benny falls head over heals for the Real "Charley's Aunt". The film soon gets complicated, funnier and well balance with plenty of twists and turns. Some you predict while others a welcomed suprise. I was quite impressed and quickly swooned over Benny's ruggid charm and fallen grace.
May 17, 2012
benny does drag-simply irresitable!
December 30, 2011
I had the pleasure of seeing this play performed at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis and it was hilarious. I enjoyed this film version, but it was not nearly as enjoyable as the play.
½ September 30, 2009
An absolute treasure for fans of Jack Benny, and a frightfully overlooked entry into the 1940s theater-to-film slapstick genre. The thing just flies by in all of its comic glory, and there's never a dull moment whatsoever. This is due to two things- a wonderfully adapted screenplay by George Seaton and a pitch-perfect performance by Benny- with and without the garters. Jack wasn't given enough screen opportunities, primarily because in their time the ones he did get were unexplainable box office bombs. With good humor, Jack would ridicule his own films on his radio show, and these always made for good laughs. Looking back, Jack's films have aged better than most of the comedies of the period. Though they weren't appreciated in their time, we can now view them in all their comic glory; Jack's incredible talent never ceases to amaze me.
½ July 14, 2009
This version of Charley's Aunt is cute and occasionally chuckle-worthy, but, overall, it's poorly acted and is merely a vehicle for Jack Benny, who is unable to carry the film due to his wonky comedic timing in the film and, also, because his fake accent is torturous. All of that said, there are three or four hefty hardy har hars to be had.