Charlie Chan in London - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan in London Reviews

½ March 27, 2014
The Charlie Chan character is still deductive and astute, but the movies are long and rather dull. I regret to say that they definitely have not aged well.
½ March 11, 2014
Charlie Chan in London (1934)

This is one of the first surviving Charlie Chan movies with Swedish actor Warner Oland playing Inspector Charlie Chan. The other movies, Charlie Chan Carrie On (1931), Charlie Chan's Chance (1932), Charlie Chan's Greatest Case (1933) and Charlie Chan's Courage (1934) are forever lost to us.

Charlie Chan has been a racist stereotype, but the author, Earl Derr Biggers took the Charlie Chan character based on an actual Hawaiian police detective, and although Oland is playing in "Yellow Face" he is considered the better Charlie Chans in the franchise.

Hugh Gray (Douglas Walton) is nervously staying in Death Row while his Sister Pamela (Drue Leyton) is anxiously trying to get a stay of execution with her fiancee, Neil Howard (Ray Milland) and Geoffrey Richmond (Alan Mowbray), who are talking to anyone who will listen to them, without success.

Then Inspector Chan shows up in town, and is asked to see what he can come up with. Chan goes to Geoffrey Richmond's mansion during fox hunting season to get all of the suspects together to re-inact the crime, while time is running out.
½ July 14, 2005
One of the earliest and also one of the best in the Charlie Chan series. Warner Oland plays Detective Chan in this one, set in London. The accused sister believes the man charged with the murder to be innocent and Charlie is brought in to investigate.
½ March 27, 2014
½ March 11, 2014
Charlie Chan in London (1934)

October 9, 2013
Charlie Chan has three days to save a man from the gallows by finding the real killer at an English country estate. This time he has no sons in tow and there is therefore a little less comic relief. This is a relatively early Warner Oland entry and the Chan character doesn't seem to have jelled (or maybe I've watched too many Sidney Toler entries in the interim) -- he seems a bit slower in his way of speaking and more likely to play up the cultural miscommunicatiion angle in his interactions with the suspects (kind of like a Chinese Colombo perhaps). More alarming is the other characters' continued alarm at seeing a heavy-set Chinese man -- these over-reactions themselves seem almost racist and force one to remember that Oland is in fact Swedish (Ohlund) not Chinese. But these little concerns aside, this is another solid entry and the setting and cast of characters are better defined and the mystery yields some true suspense (even if the conclusion is again impossible to solve on one's own). Ray Milland makes an early appearance.
½ February 8, 2013
Charlie Chan After The Fox--Wonderfully ancient!!
½ October 17, 2012
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
October 17, 2010
OK Charlie Chan mystery here, though it could be paint by numbers the way the characters are acting. There's only a limited time Chan has before a man is put to death for a crime he did not commit. It's up to Chan (but no No. 1 Son) to figure out whodunnit. Enjoyable enough. Fun to see a young Ray Milland in an early role.
½ August 24, 2010
This is the first Charlie Chan film that I have seen.
It was actually a very good movie that gets you into trying to figure out who the killer is.
It follows the basic formula movies from the time had but Charlie Chan is a very interesting character, more interesting is that he is played by white Warner Oland so perfectly, and it moves very fluidly and then when the killer is revealed I was actually surprised.
Good performances from the cast and the black and white made it look so beautiful.
Hope all Charlie Chan movies are this entertaining.
½ July 14, 2005