• R, 1 hr. 53 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Chasing Amy Reviews

John M

March 20, 2007
This is simply the best Kevin Smith movie imo. While many may disagree its the from the heart feel of this movie that makes it something special and has made Kevin Smith an amazing icon to me.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 4, 2013
Chasing Amy is very good comedy film from Kevin Smith and is the third film featuring Jay & Silent Bob. Smith uses all the usual tricks that have made his films unique. The cast here are great, and the plot is funny and quirky and totally original. Kevin Smith's films tend to explore ideas which would normally be passed up by a different director. Each film he has made has been funny and memorable. Chasing Amy is one of three romantic comedies that Smith would direct and he makes his rom coms very differently than the traditional rom coms, which are predictable and full of clichés. The film is funny and the cast have good on-screen chemistry, especially Jason Lee and Ben Affleck. I don't normally enjoy rom coms, but Chasing Amy is quite different. Smith layers the script with his traditional humor, which adds so much to the film. The film has much more drama than Smith's previous works, and it shows his maturity as a filmmaker while retaining the same things that we expect from a Kevin Smith film. The film has just the right amount of seriousness and humor to make this worth seeing and if you love Kevin Smith films, then check this one out. Chasing has its imperfections, but it has heart and is entertaining from start to finish. This is an underrated film and Chasing Amy of one of the best films from Smith and is an overlooked gem in his filmography. The film has a well written script that delivers the laughs and charm. Kevin Smith is a good filmmaker, and he has a knack to create original films that are very different than most comedies. Chasing Amy is a great film, and is a different type of Kevin Smith film.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 27, 2009
"I don't know what has taken me so long to watch this. But I finally got to it. Christmas shopping is stressful, and I just wanted a good comedy to watch so I could relax a bit. This movie satisfied that. I loved Jason Lee in this. He's very funny and outspoken with no filter. I like that in people. Dwight Ewell was a lot of fun in this as well. I liked the story. I found it to be fresh and a lot of fun. The build up of Holden and Alyssa's relationship was refreshing. There was no cheesy crap. Well unless you count the part where their in Holden's car and he's expressing his mushy feeling's for her. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. It's not that it wasn't honest and sweet. But I am one of those chicks that if I heard a guy start talking to me like that I would run the other way quick. I'm odd. Anyways, I loved the movie. Kevin Smith did a great job with this."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 13, 2012
"She was the girl, I know that now. But I pushed her away. So, I've spent every day since then chasing Amy... so to speak."

Holden and Banky are comic book artists. Everything's going good for them until they meet Alyssa, also a comic book artist. Holden falls for her, but his hopes are crushed when he finds out she's a lesbian.

REVIEW
Writer-director Kevin Smith made a name for himself in the independent film world with his adult (NC-17 level) dialogue-heavy movie "Clerks" in 1994. His follow-up walked within those same general footprints, albeit with more funding, and became the mess that only fans could stomach. His third movie, "Chasing Amy", was a surprisingly mature departure, as he merged the profanity-laced humor of his first two efforts with an unexpected emotional storyline. "Chasing Amy" tells the story of a comic book writer, his best friend (the "tracer"), and the lesbian who threatens to come between them. In a matter of speaking it's a high concept romantic comedy with a lesbian tossed in for good measure. It's a hetero-male fantasy that plays out a scenario of a straight male getting a lesbian to fall for him. The improbability of the situation is broached again and again to comedic and emotional satisfaction. In a way, the film is more about relationships in general and the manners in which those in them try to change or "fix" the other. It's a great film written by an intelligent guy who thankfully doesn't only kow tow to the base needs of his core audience.
Anthony L

June 12, 2012
Chasing Amy is a heartfelt, original and interesting story, Joey Lauren Adams is very good in the lead role and Kevin Smith really did make a huge impact into the world of independent film making that deserves recognition. However, apart from Joey Lauren Adams and a comedic turn from Dwight Ewell, the acting is pretty average, the writing is patchy and it's not filmed particularly well. I think Kevin Smith progressed with this film by learning from the many mistakes he made here, his follow up film Dogma being the proof. I do like its 90s feel though, makes me feel very nostalgic of the era that I loved but the fact I didn't see it back then and waited until now probably effects my judgement also. Not bad but really not the intellectual masterpiece its hype would have you believe, more like a European film for middle-American teenagers who don't watch European films.
Matthew S

January 28, 2012
Chasing Amy delivers brave, genuine, comically-rich and insightful dialogue and a great performance by Joey Lauren Adams. The character she plays is Godly (yes, with a capital G), so acutely aware and unashamed of herself and receptive to life around her. This is Kevin Smith's most mature work that I've seen, maybe out to prove himself to his financial backers early in his career after going relatively bonkers with Mallrats. Whatever the reason, he proved he can deliver smart, intense drama along with the laughs.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 12, 2007
Setting the independent film world a blaze with with his slacker classic Clerks and failing miserably in the studio system with Mallrats, Kevin Smith decided to get back to basics for the third film in what became his 'New Jersey Legacy.' If Clerks was his most honest work then Chasing Amy is his most personal and most reflective. Shot with very little money, it's not the best-looking film Smith has ever made, but the performances carry it like clockwork. It has a particular sting and rings true on an emotional level that few films like it have ever done, with enough pathos for four more movies. I've always felt like that it was, and still is, a new age Woody Allen film. Human relationships askewed, but still incredibly relatable, is something that Kevin has always been good at, and he has never been better than with Chasing Amy... and in my estimation, hasn't topped it.
Graham J

November 20, 2011
The deepest and most meaningful trip into Kevin Smith's world.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
My least favourite movie from Smith. It's much too dramatic for the romantic comedy it's trying to be. Plus, I can't stand Adams for more than thirty minutes, she's so annoying. If you wished there were more drama in Kevin Smith's movies, you'll enjoy this.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 9, 2011
I absolutely loved "Chasing Amy." Looking back at "Clerks," it's hard to believe such a transcendent and observant film like this came from the same writer and director. Kevin Smith crafted a true zeitgeist film that is an unparalleled examination of sexual mores and modern relationships. Candid and frank in both it's emotion and humor. Ben Affleck's performance may be the only weak spot in the film since his character is essentially just a stand-in for the audience. He is simply a reactionary, simple minded character. Joey Lauren Adams however is the films main star, next to Smith's sparkling, revolutionary screenplay. Adams hits all the right notes as a sexually confused yet strong young woman. Her emotional scenes are uncomfortable for all the right reasons- awkward anger, a bitter confidence about past mistakes."Chasing Amy" is an outstanding film with an unexpected and completely honest deconstruction of men and women.
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 11, 2011
Banky: Since you like chicks, right, do you just look at yourself naked in the mirror all the time?

Chasing Amy is something most comedies can't be. It's vulgar, funny, and yet insightful. It centers around love, be it gay or straight, and friendship. It's a really funny movie with Kevin Smiths typical sense of humor and dialogue that you either love or hate.

Ben Affleck is pretty good in this movie and it's probably his best performance as he has a reputation of not being the best actor around. Joey Lauren Adams is decent, but her voice is pretty annoying and her emotional outbursts in the movie aren't very believable. The rest of the cast is superb. Jason Lee and Dwight Ewell are both hilarious . Then there's the rest of Smiths normal cast. Silent Bob has some great dialogue about "Chasing Amy."

All in all this is probably one of Smith's better movies, although I will never be able to like one more the Clerks. Chasing Amy is a great comedy/drama. Fans of Kevin Smith definitely can't be disappointed in this.

Alyssa: I love you, I always will. Know that. But I'm not your fucking whore.
Wildaly M

May 15, 2007
This was kinda good. I liked it.
Spencer S

July 29, 2010
Whenever lesbianism is featured in a love story, you can bet that there are going to be mistakes and inadequacies. Instead of handling the subject matter indelicately like the film The Kids Are All Right, Chasing Amy was very honest and multi-layered. Not just a poignant piece of drama, Kevin Smith directed with his usual comedy flair, including much of his usual cast and Gen X wit from films like Mallrats and Clerks. The beginning holds the most interesting comedic aspects, introducing us to the characters and their connections to one another. When Holden's (Affleck) and Alyssa's (Adams) relationship burgeons into one of serious romantic intent, the entire film shifts. One minute we're watching another tongue in cheek "film" of Smith's, the next it's a serious relationship drama that calls sexuality of all people into question, and how we're evolving to accommodate the people we love. Sexual orientation plays a big role in all of this, but never burdens the film with being a societal standard that other such works have to live up. Still, they do, as even the Criterion Collection has added this to its collection. A commentary, but also a comedy, this is by far Smith's greatest accomplishment.
Drake T

June 1, 2011
A truly successful and rewarding Romedy, Chasing Amy not only delivers as an emotionally sophisticated charged romance but as a sexually open and gender provoking discussion.

In many ways it feels like Smith's finest hour, too often critics are turned off by his "tasteless" use of raw dialogue and uncivilized humor but here it's completely evident that he always has a plan written between the lines for those of us willing to look for it.

The only problems lie in the chemistry between Affleck and Jones, you're never really convinced with the romance between their characters other than their word.
garyX
garyX

November 15, 2006
Two comic book obsessed twenty somethings find their friendship threatened when one of them falls for a lesbian. The first hour of Chasing Amy is a typical example of Kevin Smith's take on relationships, pop culture and dick jokes, but it's done in a rather more mature and better observed way that his previous films (particularly the appalling Mallrats). Affleck and Lee's friendship seems believable enough to be genuine and there are are fair few genuinely funny moments, usually provided by Dwight Ewell's amusing gay black activist. Unfortunately, once the romance begins in earnest, Smith starts trying to be "profound" and it turns into a contrived photo love story with lots of whining, shouting and tedious soul searching. It's a fair attempt at making a chick flick that nerdy guys can relate to, but by the end it starts to feel like one of those boring relationship heavy episodes of Friends.
Dan S

October 24, 2007
An original, offbeat romantic-comedy featuring a comic book writer (Ben Affleck) who falls head over heals in love with a carefree spirit (Joey Lauren Adams), even if she might be a lesbian. This movie was so disappointing, since it features a passionate, terrific turn from Adams, strong supporting performances from Affleck and Jason Lee, and a story that is not afraid to go and explore places and relationships not often seen in film. However, it falls flat on its face during its last 1/3, where Jay and Silent Bob somehow appear out of nowhere and Affleck proposes a ridiculous scenario to two people he loves which in turn exposes Smith's offensive take on homophobia. This could have been a special, incredible film, and it is for the first 2/3, but it really loses a lot of steam in its last section, despite the conclusion of the movie being completely fitting and somewhat moving. Stick to "Clerks", which is Smith's best stuff, would be my advice, although this film certainly has his moments, no argument there.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

September 27, 2007
So, a part of the nerd community hates this movie because they hate Kevin Smith, and the other part of the nerd community loves this because they love Kevin Smith. Between that there's a sometimes fun but unfocused movie that constructs a solid premise for a relation between two people, then throws it away in favor of dumb plot mechanics involving 3somes and other dumb crap that makes no sense.

Dwight Ewell and Jason Lee pretty much steal the whole thing, Ben Affleck is just flat, as usual, and a very weak lead character. He takes away a lot from the film. Joey Lauren Adams is hot and charming, the fact that she didn't become a big star is beyond me.
Conner R

January 3, 2010
A movie that was ahead of its time that criticized the very meaning of love and sexuality. It isn't just a comedy, but a very well done dramatic piece that isn't afraid to ask big questions. It's got some great performances and dialogue that show Kevin Smith's well-rounded talent.
Lady D

August 3, 2006
Clerks aside, I?m not a huge fan of Kevin Smiths?s work, Chasing Amy, however became better the longer the film went on. It is perhaps a little too loaded with the male fantasy idea of a story, yet ultimately relating to relationships in general.

Sort of quirky.