Chasing Ice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Ice Reviews

June 12, 2013
One of the most visually stunning documentaries I have ever seen, Chasing Ice is a testament to the power of film to serve as clear-cut evidence of a changing world, as well as proof of why that world is worth preserving.
½ January 17, 2013
A terrifying film that offers both a stunning collection of images and an indisputable evidence of global climate change. It is a pity though that it loses some of its focus wanting to praise Balog's efforts and doesn't propose any real scientific solution for the problem.
June 13, 2013
Photographer James Balog sets up cameras to document the disappearance of glaciers.
Most documentaries about global warming and other such social problems take an alarmist stance and quickly become so over-bearing in their message that I find myself saying, "Yes, yes, we're all going to die. I understand. Ho hum." But the film's focus on the process of setting up the cameras and Balog's courageousness makes it more about the process than pounding depressing evidence into my head.
Balog's photographs are striking. They're beautifully tragic, just as they are intended to be.
Overall, this is a good documentary about an important social problem, and its strength is that it doesn't try to beat the shit out of any happiness you might still be able to muster.
August 13, 2012
We are all concerned about the earth's poles in this day and era. "Chasing Ice" Documents James Balog an acclaimed Natianal Geographic photographer's journey to find some physical evidence about Climate Change. Setiing up mutiple cameras in a single area in Iceland, Greenland, Montanna and Alaska. The results are pretty shocking, after three years of observing the photos we find a big difference in the stucture of some of the biggest glaciers in the world. I've never seen so many massive calvings of ice that it almost looks like a whole city area is going up in an earthquake. Viewers really do feel the emotion and determination for Balog who has a knee problem, but that dosen't stop him from explroring the dangerous impact the ice world has suffered to climate change. Conventionally shot in a very informative manner, "Chasing Ice" is essential for all enviromentalists and common viewers.
February 2, 2013
"Chasing Ice" is as visually stunning as it is socially enlightening. James Balog, an acclaimed photography, brings the best of both worlds into a documentary that highlights the indisputable facts about global warming, through the photographic proof of several glaciers, which have been around for thousands and thousands of years, that are melting and breaking off into the oceans at an alarming rate. The documentary not only takes you on an adventure as Balog attempts to plant over a dozen different cameras out in the Arctic elements to capture the photos, but it inspires social change with the immense cataclysmic change that our earth is undergoing at a rapid pace. Overwhelmed from most of the imagery, I had a strong connection with this film and could have looked at Balog's photography for much longer. One of the best documentaries of the year and of recent memory, also gaining an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Song which surprising was performed by actress Scarlett Johansson.
December 1, 2013
Necessary, fascinating, and moving. I couldn't believe my eyes.
½ August 23, 2013
Chasing Ice is a beautifully photographed and visually stunning documentary from director Jeff Orlowski. Orlowski has decided to follow National Geographic photographer James Balog -- a one-time climate change skeptic -- around the globe to different "hot spots" in the climate change debate in order to capture video footage of actual, certifiable change in ice, snow, water, land formation etc. and provide examples of a changing planet. Balog had begun an Extreme Ice Survey study in several parts of the world before this documentary was filmed which basically consisted of setting up several recording stations that are set up to capture months and years of time-lapse photography. When Balog returned to his first few stations to retrieve his routine footage, he was shocked to discover the rapid changes in climate and depleted layers of snow and ice. His studies took him into glacier valleys in North America, Europe and Asia and he found retreating ice and snow everywhere his crew traveled. The film is startling and sad and some of the images seem like make believe or magic as things have been disappearing before our very eyes. I no longer know what is more shocking -- the rate at which our icecaps are vanishing or that people STILL believe one political party is making this all up. There is no sound logic in that sorry assertion ... as NO team "wins" here and we are actually all losing. Since when did eyes lie? The deniers are showing a dangerous break with reality and I do not know what to make of them anymore. Anybody who believes this is fake needs to book a trip to Alaska and check out Mendenhall Glacier (which my entire family did about a decade ago). The Glacier is retreating and shrinking because the climate is changing and my pics from a decade ago look like a completely different place. Why does the world refuse to wake up? Perhaps the ice is still around in their dreams.
½ August 22, 2013
A stunning, visual achievement with ominous undertones that delivers a powerful, foreboding warning.
January 23, 2013
"Chasing Ice" is a documentary that is both visually beautiful and frightening. Sure to persuade skeptics, this film is an absorbing and interesting warning message. Global warming is real, and is happening rapidly each year. Something needs to be done, and can be done.
February 21, 2013
A really amazing, beautiful and devastating documentary. Everyone should see this, if not for the message about climate change, then just for the beauty of the ice shots. Also, it was really cool to see a couple people I know and lots of Boulderites on the big screen!
November 28, 2012
An absolutely important film. The still-photography that Balog produced is an excellent weapon to kill the naysayers who are (somehow) convinced that global warming isn't a thing that exists. Also, the footage is incredibly beautiful, breathtaking on the big screen. The one thing that is a little odd is the Balog subplot, showing the fragility of his knees and portraying him as a family man. However, one of his quotes is telling. I'll paraphrase because I'm terrible at remembering quotes exactly: "In 20 or 30 years, when my grandchildren ask me what I did about global warming, I will be able to tell them that I did the only thing I knew how to do." This is truly a film that puts into visuals the very frightening geological change that's happening on this planet right now. What the hell am I going to do about it? I don't know. But maybe you do so you should see it.
½ August 3, 2015
Entertaining and no, not so realistic.
June 4, 2015
Two words... Breathtaking and Heartfelt.. Breathtaking views of moving glaciers that you will witness in a matter of seconds. Heartfelt that these glaciers are slowly melting due to the cause of our global warming. A very good example documentary to show on all schools for film viewing purposes especially the time is fast approaching. Well deserved 5 out of 5.
May 4, 2015
I love it when local films knock it out of the park.
April 26, 2015
The subject of the movie ends it with an observation that he doesn't want his kids asking him in 20 or 30 years what he did to stop climate change. Exact same reason I would never vote for a Republican. What will you tell your kids in 30 years, when they ask why you continued to put complete morons ignorant of facts around the destruction of our environment into office. I won't be guilty of that.
March 29, 2015
Its cold (though not cold enough), we're all gonna die.
½ February 23, 2015
The climate change 'debate' has become akin to professional wrestling, with blowhards espousing their sound and fury whilst challenging the science. In this film that blather is effectively countered by the serenity of the victim itself: nature. Here, Jame Balog enters his expedition with some skepticism about the extremity of climate change. Like any good scientist he waits until he sees dramatic evidence. The patience and passion with which he works is inspiring and by the end of this short doc, it is hard not to be convinced that something very scary is happening in the north pole. This is not a political issue and to make it one does a disservice to the hard-efforts & objectivity of their studies.
While you may not be wholly convinced after watching this doc, it's hard not to be in awe at the sight of a glacier the size of Manhattan crumbling into the ocean.
½ February 18, 2015
I watched this film drawn to by the trailer. It was spectacular. The idea was so simple and the project so extreme, it will take everyone by surprise. The one thing that Balog could have done is inform the audience of the methods to cut back those emissions and green house gases that cause global warming and this destruction of beautiful ice!! Marvelous act and a great film to watch on big screen!!
December 4, 2012
Well worth a watch - global warming is real and you can see it here.