Chasing Mavericks Reviews

June 18, 2013
A fun movie about a real-life teenager who overcame everything in his path to achieve his dream of being a surfer. Very inspiring movie about finding your path in life, and sticking to your goals. The script is somewhat your typical average sports movie that is won over by good acting, and breathtaking views of the California beaches, and unbelievably beautiful waves...
July 2, 2013
Depressing, boring, and far too small for what it is, "Chasing Mavericks" does not try hard enough casting or in it's dialogue. The lead star does not seem to have the characteristics for the characters he is portraying and his acting does not blend well alongside Gerard Butler, who delivers a fine performance as always. Besides a few motivational speeches by Gerard Butler, the film focusses on all the saddest moments of this true story making for a very overlong and shallow movie with no real conclusion to the film. If the biggest event is shown in the credits through text, why not just add that to the film, because seeing as depressing as the film was, it probably would have been a better ending. I have to say that I do not like this movie, because it just tries way to hard in all the wrong ways. "Chasing Mavericks" is a fine film for a specific type of audience and that is about it.
MANUGINO
½ March 6, 2013
Legends Start Somewhere.

Great Film! If you want to watch a movie with a fresh point of view on the world and enjoy every minute of it, I highly recommend watching Chasing Mavericks. Chasing Mavericks is the type of movie that will make you feel alive.This movie was great. The filming of of the huge waves, surfers, and conditions was fantastic. I found it a beautiful story of people, the challenge of relationships, mixed with the thrill of surfing, and the athletic abilities required for the champions. The movie approaches the theme of love, family and freedom in a very natural way; something that we rarely see in any other movies of this decade. It's very inspirational and motivating, yet it's very real and natural, so you get inspired without being lectured. I highly recommend this movie to everyone who wants to reconnect with their emotions and thoughts.

The inspirational true story of real life surfing phenomenon Jay Moriarity. When 15 year old Jay discovers that the mythic Mavericks surf break, one of the biggest waves on Earth, is not only real, but exists just miles from his Santa Cruz home, he enlists the help of local legend Frosty Hesson to train him to survive it. As Jay and Frosty embark on their quest to accomplish the impossible, they form a unique friendship that transforms both their lives, and their quest to tame Mavericks becomes about far more than surfing.
March 2, 2013
"Chasing Mavericks" is the true story of surfing prodigy Jay Moriarity(Jonny Weston). It focuses on his relationship with Frosty(Gerard Burler) who takes him under his wing to train him to survive "Mavericks". "Mavericks" are basically giant waves that are talked about but rarely seen. I don't know why but I usually really like surfing movies. I've never surfed, am too out of shape to ever do it, but the movies always seem to work for me. "Chasing Mavericks" is no different. It's a little on the melodramatic side sometimes, but overall it's executed very well, and the performances are all pretty good. This is Weston's first role, and he is a little wooden, but overall he does enough to make the role his and believable. Good for a watch if your in the mood for a sports like drama.
TheDudeLebowski65
February 26, 2013
Chasing Mavericks is one of those films that had the potential of being a truly unique and memorable viewing experience. However right off the bat you can tell that the script lacks something truly compelling, and that's a shame because the true story is truly one of a kind. The script tries too hard at being inspirational and we've seen so many films like this that it just ends up being a mediocre curiosity at best. The directing is sloppy and it just falls short and it could have been much better than this. Some may enjoy this, but I felt it really lacked in its inspirational element and the story of the real guy is truly better to read than this movie. This film had mediocre acting and wooden performances that just didn't stand out. Even the surf scenes lacked, and I still feel that the surf scenes in Point Break are much more impressive. This film should have been something much more, but the script just ends up falling flat, and like I said, the directing is lazy and the filmmakers don't give the real story the respect it deserves. If the script would have been rewritten and a few other actors could have been recasted in a few parts, this film might have been better. Chasing Mavericks for me was a disappointing picture, one that simply squanders its potential on a poor script that just leaves you wanting more out of the film. The film had its highs and lows, unfortunately there are too many parts that just doesn't cut it and it just falls short. With the right attention to the material, Chasing Mavericks could have been a great film; instead it's a forgettable film, and one that leaves a lot of room for improvement.
SC007
October 6, 2013
Gerard Butler's performance makes this film worth watching. He shines here. He does a great job playing the mentor/teacher figure in the movie. The movie was so so. The tone of the film was off. It needed a rewrite. The pacing was off too. The film reminded me of movies like Vision Quest, the Karate Kid, Lords of Dogtown, Soul Surfer, and Point Break.

Jonny Weston was ok as Jay, but I think another actor in that role could have done a much better job. I think Josh Hutcherson would have been better as Jay. Abigail Spencer was really good here. So was Leven Rambin. I was disappointed with Elisabeth Shue here. She is so much better in other films. Here it seemed like she didn't fit the role well.
February 17, 2013
A great inspirational story that is both cool and interesting, from it's newcomer actor to its veteran star, there is much to enjoy about a film of this caliber.
June 1, 2013
This is like those times that you watch a movie that you aren't really expecting a lot out of and are left pleasantly surprised. Sure, there are plenty of flaws, the writing could be better definitely, but I liked it. When I saw the trailer I found myself comparing it to 'Soul Surfer', which I didn't like, but they're completely different except for the whole surfing deal. Both are outstanding true stories but Soul Surfer came off as pushy, trying way too hard to push the inspiration on me, where Chasing Mavericks came easy, naturally. Plus, the wave footage is pretty badass.
April 19, 2013
It probably isn't fair, but after being sorely disappointed in Soul Surfer, I really wasn't looking forward to this movie. But this one delves much deeper than Soul Surfer could have dreamed, and the acting is phenomenal. This is one of the best roles I've seen Gerard Butler in to date. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good this film was.
April 8, 2013
This was a good family movie! Good story even though the story ends weird. It was fun and Jonny Weston actually did a great job. There are some random parts that don't really tie into the story or necessarily go anywhere, but overall I enjoyed it.
April 8, 2013
Wanting to be motivational and heartfelt, Chasing Mavericks ends up being neither as the two central characters aren't developed well-enough onscreen for either of them to come across as realistic or overly like-able (something necessary when the story is based on a set of real life people). Jay Moriarty is a 15 year old surfer who has just recently learned of some "epic" waves that come ashore near his own home in Santa Cruz, California. In able to surf them, he enlists the help of a surf master played by Gerard Butler. The characters come across as rather shallow which is unfortunate as the central character, Jay, was actually well-liked and motivational. The film fails to enspire and it actually makes surfing out to be a rather selfish sport -- do any of these people work or do they simply get to "play" all day? The film is disappointing, disappointing, disappointing. A film with potential becomes little more than a movie that is barely watchable.
½ March 11, 2013
This was a great story and the action shots were wonderful. This was quite a heartbreaking and beautiful movie.
½ March 2, 2013
I thought this was a good movie and I like it even more that I know it is based on a true story. While yes, its about a guy teaching a fatherless kid how to surf the ginormous "maverick", its more of a story about the bond between these two and how their relationship helped and healed them both.
½ October 27, 2012
Alright it looks like alot of Nationwide Critics are not Enjoying this Film but I have to Disagree,I Thought that Film was Pretty Good,Insperational in a Non-Religion Way & Entertaining plus The Acting from Gerard Butler was Very Good & The Co-Direction from Curtis Hanson known for 1992's The Hand that Rock's The Cradle & 1997's LA Confidintal plus The Film is Based on a True Story plus The Pacing of The Story was not Dull or Boring & It's such a Shame that The Studio Market the film as a Family Film not a Film for All Ages since alot of Viewers dont want to something kinda like 2011's Soul Surfer since that was a little Preachy on The Christian Beliefs but Maverick's was also released in Fall not in The Summer were It could of found an Audience of All Ages if alot of People gave It a Good Word of Mouth but Now alot of Films that are Going for The Oscar Gold,Family Films that have a Halloween Feel plus Horror Films dominate The Box Office but since 2007's 300 it been Hard for Butler to find a Box Office Hit since Really none of his Fans supported Nim's Island,The Ugly Truth & The Bounty Hunter,He's Only had Fans with Machine Gun Gun Preacher & Rocknrolla that did Horrible at The Box Office but found Success on The Home Video Market.Overall this is a Really Good Film & it does deserves to be seen on The Big Screen with Beutiful Ocean View & Beachside Cinematography,The Acting is Good but not Oscar Worthy but Don't Think if your Going to See this on The Big Screen that your Going to See a Bunch of Kids in The Theatre because I went to See this on Opening Day & there was Really Nobody in The Theatre & It Sucks not alot of Films about Surfing or Skating ever finds an Audience on The Big Screen & even at One Time almost 21 Years Ago-Point Break was considered a Flop but It also Opened against Terminator 2 & Boyz N Tha Hood back in 1991.Overall this is a Good Film for Everyone & It's a Full Price on The Big Screen or a Good Blu-ray Rental.
October 26, 2012
True story. Good wholesome storyline where this daredevil surfer pushes the limits. Google his story after you see the movie. In theatres today.
½ October 25, 2012
I wanted to like this more. For fans of surfing and the ocean, it's worth seeing just for the amazing shots of these guys surfing the "mavericks", or killer waves. The adjoining "based on a true story" plays more like something you'd see on an after-school special. I found it tough to buy in and really care about the characters and believe this is how they really acted and reacted in this "true story".
½ March 7, 2015
A good film. I don't care much for what the critics say. This is a great but sad true story that needed to be told, and it was told well.
April 5, 2013
Hard to review, but the film's really good and was well made providing good sights of the ocean and the waves. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
August 2, 2014
Somewhat dull, despite the beautiful views of the sea and surf, hunky Gerard Butler, and an attempt at a biopic of a guy who dies tragically while very young.