Cherry Tree Lane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cherry Tree Lane Reviews

gor41
October 20, 2010
Williams tackles a growing media preoccupation in the UK, namely knife wielding yoofs, but pushes it into the face of the cosy middle classes with a worthy follow up to 'London to Brighton' (lets just ignore 'The Cottage'). What the film does well is to capture how quickly a calm suburban evening can be destroyed by the wrong knock at the door. Williams cleverly contrasts the attackers and their prey and it has a much more authentic feel than say Haneke's 'Funny Games'. Most of the violence is heard off-screen or through the results which disturbingly makes your mind fill in the blanks. The central lull in proceedings actually becomes tense as you and the characters wait for the promised grisly end.
½ November 10, 2011
An hour and 17 minutes of my life wasted.
December 4, 2010
Superbly directed and acted home-invasion thriller that's over in a brisk 75 minutes. It's like Funny Games without the breaking of the 4th wall or the "aren't I clever, and aren't you sick" audience winking. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end, and that's about it, and the lack of point means it only really works as a technical exercise.
John2223
October 4, 2010
"Cherry Tree Lane" has many similarities to "Eden Lake" but it is clear that the director was very influenced by "Funny Games" and the way it was shot by Haneke. All of the action is restricted to the interior of the house at the fateful address, generating considerable claustrophobic. There is not on screen violence but it is still intense at times and sometimes difficult to watch, and it truly offers no respite by the end. The acting is very believable and the movie seems like a real event that anyone can go through in a routine and ordinary day.
½ May 31, 2013
Funny Games without the tension or social critique....lame! While it is well-made, Cherry Tree Lane is a British home-invasion horror film that lacks any real teeth...
February 9, 2013
C+

I can see why people would like this movie, and why people may not like this movie. Cherry Tree Lane is a home invasion type movie that's not overly graphic or scary, I think the writers and director wanted to make it more realistic. We're never told why the kids break into the home other than that the "invaders" wanted the couples son who happens to not be home at the moment. I guess I can recommend this movie to people who are curious about it or to the people who like home invasion movies, if you dont then I would just skip.
Matt S.
January 30, 2013
Cherry Tree Lane is this year's Eden Lake, with an ending just as shocking and abrupt. The film is confronting and the most raw home invasion film I've seen in years. The film starts out pretty simplistically with a slow boil pace, with an older couple that is settling down in their home for the evening to eat dinner. In a moments time they hear their door bell ring and what any person would do they answer it. Thugs burst through and demand their son who isn't there, they then duck tape them and wait helplessly bounded. The film is such a nail biter because the viewer for most of the time doesn't know what's going to happen next and when it does it's off screen, but you hear the horror and that is even more disturbing. The film boils over into one harrowing conclusion; it makes you think how far would you go to protect your family?

Just like such films as Eden Lake and Funny Games the performances are subtle yet powerful. The actors that play the troubled youths are a real standouts and you get to know a little about them and their flaws, than them just being figures of fear. All of the actors are pretty much unknown, which is a plus because you don't as high of expectations regarding their acting. Everything flowed in a tense, natural, gripping matter that made the viewing experience a mostly effective one.

Director and writer, Paul Andrew Williams has already established a pretty promising career so far in this genre, with films like London to Brighton, which I really want to see now, and his other works such as the pretty decent but not great The Cottage and the very solid and chilling, killer kids flick The Children, which he wrote the story for. I'm pretty excited about what he is going to come up with next because every new film seems to be very different and slightly better than the last. He knows how to create suspense, confronting drama and how to meticulously build suspense and terror. He then mixes it together with a dab of dark humor to effecting results. Keep an eye on him!

Overall, the film treads on a tired formula and doesn't have as much action, chaos or scares as some other more superior home invasion movies. The ending, though it kept me on the edge of my seat clutching the arms of my chair in anticipation of what's to come, left the viewer out cold of what the next move of the film will be. The conclusion bothered me because you don't really officially know the outcome. That being said Cherry Tree Lane is one of the most provocative British crime/thrillers I've seen in a while even though it's not that original.

6.9 out of 10
December 13, 2015
Like the vast majority of films that I watch, this one is well shot and acted, but has no point, no story, and no ending. I don't know what has happened to the art of filmmaking, but it's clear that most filmmakers have no interest in telling a story, or maybe no one has the ability to write a story. All they seem to want to do is make us sqirm for awhile, give us enough character development to make us want to know what happens, and then make us squirm more by having no ending. This movie is a waste of time. The one star is for technical prowess, but this does not a film make.
½ May 3, 2015
When your film is a mere 80 minutes long, don't spend the first 5 focussing on a boiling pot with no dialogue whatsoever. Jesus...
January 14, 2015
Although it is not subtle in its themes, the violence and abuse subjected to the home owners is depicted with a subtlety that does not lessen the impact. For a low-budget film this is a fine achievement.
½ July 3, 2011
It was an okay movie, everything was pretty expected and predictable. Meh.
½ November 10, 2011
An hour and 17 minutes of my life wasted.
½ August 21, 2013
Creepy little thriller,..
August 18, 2013
This movie I had to use toothpicks to hold my eyelids up. Slow moving and friggen boring. Just a complete waste of time. My husband and I actually DID fall asleep 1/2 way through. BORING! BORING! BORING! Watch Hatchet III instead.
½ August 16, 2013
A complete waste of time. Not scary, not intense, not even bloody interesting.
½ May 31, 2013
June 3, 2013
An incredibly dull British misfire.
½ June 1, 2013
Absolute load of crap. Violence with no actual story or resolution. Pointless.
February 9, 2013