Children of Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Men Reviews

June 18, 2007
Nope, I didn't like it. And yes, the elaborate single takes annoyed and distracted me to no end. I thought the film was a murky mess.

Pull my finger. Exactly
April 25, 2007
As soon as I read the synopsis of this movie I knew I had to see it and I was not disappointed. The story is great though you wish we'd get more information into this story and the end leaves you wanting for more. However, this does not stop it from being one of the best sci-fi films out there. Original and innovative.
January 14, 2014
Alfonso Cuarón's Children of Men is a stunning picture that boasts great performances from its cast, and tells a riveting and well thought out story. This is an impressive feet of cinema, one that delivers on a stunning concept. Anyone looking for a film that plays on originality will surely want to check out Children of Men. I was very much impressed by the film, and I thought it was a highly entertaining film going experience that is unforgettable. To me, there was a great performance from actor Clive Owen, who delivers the best performance of his career. The blend of action and drama complement each other, and you are just sucked into its multi layered story. Cuarón is a great director, and crafts something memorable here. Children of Men, is a standout picture boasts great direction, a talented cast of actors and a highly memorable plot. This is a film not to miss. The idea behind the film is great, and I really loved the concept. I really love the Dystopian/futuristic genre, and Children of Men is one of the finest examples of the genre, and it is a flawless work of cinema that works very well on so many levels. If you enjoy films like this, don't hesitate to give Children of Men a shot. This is filmmaking at its very best, and a film that you need to watch. Packed with action and memorable performances, this is a film that will just suck you into its story and won't let go till the final credits roll. Alfonso Cuarón would later helm the visually epic Gravity, but to me, I think that this is his strongest effort. Children of Men is a work of cinematic originality that every film enthusiast should seek out.
May 23, 2013
Strong performances by Clive Owen and Julianne Moore. An unsettling dystopian world which is fascinating to behold. A bit far-fetched, however, and the screenplay can be a bit preachy at times.
½ February 6, 2007
Children Of Men presents a vision of the near future in which the human race has been sterile for 18 years and chaos rules the streets. Terrorist factions war with a fascist state which hunts down immigrants and herds them like cattle into pens and detention slums for deportation. And it's all 100% convincing. The direction and cinematography of this film is breathtaking; you really feel that you are there, suffering with the characters in a world that's degenerated into Hell. Clive Owen's performance is superb as the camera rarely leaves him, his character being the sole focus of the story as he finally finds something to believe in again. On first viewing, I must admit that I found the ending unsatisfactory which marred my enjoyment of the film, but on a rewatch I concentrated on the journey and it is more than worthwhile. The scene involving the siege on the tower block alone is remarkable and I actually thought it would have made a fitting ending right there. Even better on repeated viewings.
October 31, 2012
Lots to love here. Direction was awesome (I really felt like I lived in the all-too-real distopia), acting was awesome (I could watch Julianne Moore and Michael Caine in anything), and the story ably amplified the haunting premise. Pretty sweet movie.
May 8, 2012
It's powerful, meditative along the likes of Tarkovsky, and gripping, and with a lot of depth too. It's an entertaining dystopian, science-fiction work and at times it is beautiful, thanks to the talented hand of Alfonso Cuaron, who seems to have an adept hand at filming with melodrama and poetic vigor.
June 25, 2007
A gripping, intense, phenomenally made and shot apocalyptic thriller concerning a dystopian society set in future 2027 London and how humanity has lost its ability to procreate, until a journalist (Clive Owen) stumbles upon a woman (Claire-Hope Ashitey) who might hold hope for the future of mankind. Director Alfonso Cuaron captures the look and feel of a society with no hope and limited reasons to live for, and offers a compelling story that is irrefutably arresting and thought-provoking from the very start. Owen is very convincing as a man who looks lost, but rediscovers himself once he stumbles upon the woman who could save humanity. There is some great character interaction, as well as one dynamite action sequence near the end where the camera keeps on running through all the chaos and debris flying everywhere. One of the better films of the 00's, and a movie that should absolutely be viewed multiple times.
½ July 29, 2010
An almost futuristic dsytopian society, yet realistic and seemingly true, Children of Men is an engaging and fraught with tension thriller that pushes the boundaries of acceptable worlds. Though many films misuse the term futuristic to include out of this world inventions, cataclysmic empires that reach vast lengths, ruled by some evildoer, and an inconceivable universe Children of Men takes place only a bit down the line, knows when to keep cool under pressure, and advances its plot based on the characters and not a contentious ideal of what the future will be like in twenty years. Some amazing acting from a cast that reaches down deep, including an activist Julianne Moore, scientist Michael Caine, and our lead Clive Owen, a man who has given up hope though in his youth he was just the same wild idealist as his former partner. The film moves at a fast pace, and explains itself as it goes. The main idea seems to be that human life, however eroded by greed and corruption, is worth preserving, and even in a world that seems to have ordered chaos, there is always a hand climbing out of the darkness to capture you. I thought the performances were the best part, especially that of Michael Caine who plays a role so unlike him, and yet works well with his own talents. Owen is usually the brash action star or the quiet man behind the scenes, but here he downplays his entire involvement, conceding that the mother of the first child in the world is obviously the hero of the story, and leads her to Earth's victory, however bittersweet. I loved the cinematography, the one shot action scenes of explosions and subterfuge, and the story itself, which stands as one unobstructed by petty villains, insidious government actions, and high brow heroes with inferiority complexes. Though cultural and political differences are shown in an almost heavyhanded approach, I liked it still, because it was somewhat honest and looked to the future with a broad understanding of socio-economic ties, as well as the intentions of the media and the roles of poor individuals and their motives and ensuing actions. Really a stark realization of what lies ahead.
½ September 29, 2010
"Children of Men" has breathtaking cinematography; the camerawork is reminiscent to "Saving Private Ryan" and the attention to detail reveals how colorful - though it is a world coming to its end - the world is. This is an incredible tense-filled thriller. This movie may not answer many of the questions it brings up but the direction the movie goes is not for the sake of concept. This is an incredible movie.
½ September 24, 2011
This is honestly nothing less than a masterpiece, and I rarely use that word to describe films. Don't want to spoil that much, but the themes and ideas used in this film are genius. It really gets you thinking and asking yourself what the world would be like if something like "this" happened. Aside from the themes, the most astonishing aspect of this film is its cinematography. It REALLY puts you in the film! Probably one of the best chase/climax scenes that I have ever seen in a movie. Truly one of a kind and definitely a must see!
December 29, 2006
Based on an acclaimed novel by P.D. James, this is a film adaptation about a near future dystopia that posits a scenario that is actually (and this is what's scary) rather plausible.

It is 2027 and the world is plagued by infertility. It's been 18 years since the last child was born, and, as a result, the world has crumbled into a chaotic mess. England has managed to be the last remaining society that hasn't totally collapsed, but even it is ravaged by a fascist government and the activites of violent protestors and resistance groups. On top of that, the government is severely cracking down on immigration, only further adding to the mayhem and collapse of society. All of this madness really gets otu of hand when a former protestor turned civil servant, is tasked by his ex (the leader of the resistance) to escort a young woman to safety out of the country. The kicker: not only is she an immigrant, but miraculously enough, she's pregnant.

Plot-wise, that's pretty much it. This is some very high concept stuff, but the film is deceptively simple with it all. Not a whole lot really happens, yet we really feel like we know this world, thanks to the brilliant mise-en-scene. Most of the plot is given in spnippets, and not always through dialogue. I thought this was an excellent way to get the audience involved in the film, and indeed, this is a very engaging and absorbing piece of work. This film is one of the greatest directed and shot films I've seen in quite a while. This is a powerful film, but it's even more effective because the world of the film is grounded in reality, influenced by contemporary events and society, and unlike similar films, doesn't get too futuristic or too low tech (a la Mad Max).

The casting is great, and I think that I'm officially a Clive Owen fan. I've liked the guy for a few years now, but I think he's really become a guy whose films I'm gonna start following more closely now. Probably the most fun part in this film is the one played by Michael Caine- an aging hippie and former political cartoonist. It's a new sort of role for him, and he does a great job. Julianne Moore is one of my favorites, and she too also does a really good job. Hell, basically there's not really a bad performance to be found.

The real star of things, besides the world building, is the cinematogrpahy. There are a few really superb long takes throughout (particularly, but not exclusively) during action scenes, and they actually benefit the film by serving the story and not sticking out as being flashy just for the sake of it. I'm in awe of how they got these scenes choreographed and executed. Also, there's some killer needle drops as well, and those too feel like they have a purpose. This is a really intense film at times, and it fills me with dread, but this is a film I'm in awe of, and really think is worth thinking about and discussing.

This is an action movie, yes, to a degree, but not in a real conventional sense. It's done with care, intelligence, style, and a great sense of skill. I can't belive it too me this long to finally see it, but I'm so glad I finally did. This is some truly excellent stuff, and there's some wonderful stuff going on. I can definitely see this one becoming something quite important and hailed as one of the greats.
October 1, 2011
Alfonso Cuaron is a great director and with Children of Men which takes place in the year 2027, where society is without hope since humankind can no longer procreate, he brings the desolate world to stark reality. It blew me away from the very beginning. It's beautiful cinematography juxtaposes all the violence in the world, and the script brings it closer to home, but I had to watch it twice to fully understand the reasons for the major events in the story, and there were some story lines that met dead-ends that I would have liked to have seen completed. It's definitely a powerful, beautifully shot film.
April 24, 2007
Children of Men blew me completely away when I first saw it, and it still does everytime I see it. Nothing compares to seeing it on the big screen with the amazing sound. It's quite an experience. Alfonso Cuaron is one of modern cinema's true greats. His body of work is sparse but the output rate isn't as important as the quality of the work that he does. This was my favorite film of 2006 and it's still one of my favorite films today. Absolutely powerful filmmaking.
½ June 11, 2007
A very good bleak look at the future. A well made film, with a good cast. I found it a little slow to get going, but the modern look of London was interesting and technology. The best scene was a battle scene in a run down part of town as the activists clashed with the military. All the while Clive Owen is dodging bullets and trying to protect the only child on earth. It really draws you into the thick of a battle, caught in the middle trying to stay alive. After all the build up I felt the film finished a bit short, not the conclusion I was hoping for.
½ June 23, 2011
Great film! Full of suspense and action! Great story! A must see!
½ June 16, 2011
What a tremendous and original film. I had only recorded this film on TV, and as I watched I loved it more and more. Clive Owen is a great actor, he is truly rising as one of the best. The plot keeps giving us more and more to watch and never stops being cool, its not a futuristic action like Minority Report, it a futuristic drama with a lot to say. They really go all out with production and truly do a great job on making it feel in the future, and they realize that technology wont be as advanced as we hip in 20 years. The cast is great, original plot, a few slow parts, great music and camerawork making it one of the most inventive films ever.
August 22, 2010
A great film! Very unique and interesting. I loved the action scenes, they were realistic and intense.
½ July 5, 2007
Engaging future take (society gone mad, the world gone mad and all that jazz) about the miracle of childbirth ... made entirely accessible by warm human portrayals.