The Children's Hour Reviews

August 8, 2010
Thrillers like this, with this amount of tension and political incorrectness, don't get made anymore. Maybe it's because the subject matter is so intense, polarizing, and prejudicial, but sadly, this film still has impact and social significance even fifty years later. Even though it's dealing with homosexuality in a negative light, it is the closest thing to an iconic gay film up to that point. The story deals with a school, run by former college friends, who are working towards the goal of taking on more girls and having a flourishing business. They are very close, and Martha (MacLaine) becomes jealous when Karen (Hepburn) finally sets a date for her wedding to Joe (Garner). A comment, a look, and a shadow lead to a lie, perpetrated by an arrogant child, and leads to both the women being singled out as gay. They lose a libel trial and every one of their students. It's not a story about two women overcoming the lies of a small child, but the destruction that gossip and lies have on the lives of the innocent. Though there are hints that Martha actually is gay, the story deals far more with their descent into bankruptcy, ruin, and depression. It's definitely an actor's film. Hepburn is cool and collected throughout the ordeal, which you can believe because she is the first lady of austere resoluteness. MacLaine acts her younger age, by being emotionally uninhibited at all times. Martha doesn't think through her words before speaking them, and nearly has temper tantrums when the news breaks that she and Karen have been accused of being lesbians. Garner gives his regular stone stiff performance, which works for the film. The real joy to watch in this film is child actor Karen Balkin as Mary, the one who tells the lie. The cunning maneuvers she pulls in blackmailing another little girl to keep perpetuating the lie, can be linked to Salieri bringing down Mozart in the third act of "Amadeus". Though lesbianism isn't given any positive light in this film, it's still a terse thriller that holds up even now.
flixsterman
January 13, 2009
Director William Wyler is known for getting the best from his actors and The Children's Hour is certainly no exception. James Garner, Audrey Hepburn and (especially) Shirley MacLaine are at the top of their game.

I don't know why this film doesn't get more press. Maybe the taboo nature of the material got it swept under the proverbial rug? It was certainly ahead of its time in terms of social statement and point-of-view. Or maybe it's just that schmucks like me don't shout its praises loudly enough. Whatever the reason, this is a film that should not be missed.
blkbomb
½ November 19, 2011
Martha: But why this lie? She found the lie with the ounce of truth. Don't you see?

"What Made These Women Different?"

The Children's Hour was a risky film to make when it was released. The subject matter was extremely controversial for that time period. Today, the only people who care about a person's sexual orientation is ironically the same people that meet every week to preach how God loves everyone. So watching this movie 50 years later, it is hard to see how this could ever be seen as controversial. It does, however, hold up as a well made film on intolerance and a pretty powerful one at that.

William Wyler made a risky choice to direct this movie and he did a really good job with making a movie with a theme of lesbianism under the strict guidelines of the time. The movie is about two teachers running an all girl school. There is a girl named Mary who is constantly in trouble and decides to tell he grandma a lie about the two teachers, in an attempt to not have to go back. When her grandma believes her, the rumor flies and soon all the girls are taken out of the school and the two women lives are totally destroyed.

Never have I watched a movie and have hated and been more annoyed by a character as I was with this little Mary bitch. The child actress was perfect who played her too. She had an annoying little voice and was ugly as all he'll and when you add those things to an obnoxious and downright despicable little girl, you get a character that is really easy to hate. There's many wise casting decisions in this one though. The three leads are amazing. Audrey Hepburn and Shirley McClain as the two teachers and James Garner as one of the teachers fiancé. All three excel with the subject matter and are really good at getting the emotions of the characters across.

The movie overall was really powerful, but the ending just cemented how powerful it was. For the time period, with how subtle they had to be with this subject; the movie was astonishingly well made.
deano
½ February 12, 2007
Originally this was a moderately well-received play by Lillian Hellman, which director William Wyler filmed in 1937 (as These Three). Not satisfied with his first attempt, Wyler directed this remake about When two teachers of girl's school, Martha Dobie (Shirley MacLaine) and Karen Wright (Audrey Hepburn), are accused of lesbianism, they're entire world comes crashing down. Karen loses the man she loves and so happens to have been engaged to for two long years, Joe (James Garner). Martha loses her life, basically, and everything that she's ever had. And this is all because of a vicious little brat that anyone with common sense wants to slap when they watch this movie, Mary Tilford (played by Karen Balkin). To say in the least, the end in completely unexpected. It makes you think that the world is over, and it takes time to adjust to the fact that this is "just a movie". Heart breaking and wonderfully filmed, the The Children's Hour is a terrific movie with outstanding actresses. Hepburn and MacLaine light up the screen!
½ September 12, 2007
This film really made an impression on me. Not just because it dealt with a lesbian relationship during a time when that sort of thing just wasn't talked about in Hollywood, but because of the lesbian character's (don't want to give anything away) revulsion to her own orientation. It must have been so difficult back than for someone to come out of the closet and not take a beating, both emotionally and sometimes physically as well, over it. And what's worse is that things haven't really changed all that much since 1961.
rubystevens
February 19, 2009
a brave film for all involved, especially miss hepburn. always nice to see miriam hopkins, who also appeared in the hetero film version of hellman's play with merle oberon, these three. and shirley maclaine owns...
jjnxn
April 4, 2007
dated in its attitudes but with that taken into account a good film.
December 12, 2006
A great film in all aspects. Wonderful story.
½ November 25, 2009
This is most definitely a "wow" film. The writing, direction and performances are outstanding. The film is based on a play by Lillian Hellman who wrote it upon hearing of 2 Scottish teachers were accused of lesbianism by a student and the subsequent destruction of their lives.
Beautifully shot in black and white, I appreciated the naturalistic style of shooting. I found myself enjoying many of the choices made, from the longer continuous shots, to the close-ups. The final two scenes are especially artistically done, not what I would expect from a film based on a play.
For those of you who love Audrey Hepburn (as I know many do) this film does her talent, beauty and dignity justice. Shirley MacLaine got to display her burgeoning talent, her off-beat beauty and charm, They made quite a pairing.
Brave and heartfelt, quite daring for its time, the film stays away from making a broad statement on discrimination and smartly focuses on a specific, devastating story.
½ November 28, 2009
There was a time when even the allusion of homosexuality would drive a whole society to punish and marginalize people until they were irrevocably stripped of their self-respect. This film presents a painful reminder of these times of cruelty.

William Wyler's stellar direction forces Hepburn and MacLaine to give us some of their best dramatic performances. Karen Balkin (who never pursued a career in film) is perfect in the role of the child villain. The movie received 5 Oscar performances in its time and won two Laurel Awards for McLaine and Fay Bainter, an already acclaimed actress, who had a long and important career in early film and won an Oscar for her supporting performance in Jezebel (1938).
September 13, 2007
Really good dramatic performances all around.
littlecharmer1959
February 6, 2008
Really good film showing the destruction lies can cause. Shirley MacLaine's performance is particulary impressive.
December 14, 2011
This is an amazingly well-acted film, though it was absolutely maddening due to the subject matter. Two young women open a school together, only to have a shitty little spoiled brat begin to spread rumors about them being lesbians, which eventually ruins their lives.

This is well worth a look, and recommended for fans of a nice downbeat drama.
½ June 25, 2010
Much better than I was expecting, and a really stunning performance from Shirley MacLaine. A bit disturbing in parts, but moving. Should be required viewing for homophobes.
May 13, 2010
I'm amazed at how many turns this movie had and the sadness of it. Not many American films are like this. Crazy stories like this happen once in a while in today's news, but I've never seen a movie about it. That's why it surprises me even more that this movie, based on a play in 1934, based on real events in Scotland back in 1810, could have such a story and plot. Audrey Hepburn takes on a more serious role as she doesn't play her typical charming and witty character.
½ March 25, 2010
One of the most fearless films I've ever seen. Going into this I assumed that the lesbian themes would be watered down, but they just go at it head-on without any hesitation. I can't imagine how this must have shocked people back in the day. The acting is phenomenal and I loved seeing my beloved Audrey in an honest-to-goodness dramatic role. No ribbons, bows, or Tiffany's here, this is gritty and human and genuine.Shirley MacLaine, another one of my favorites, is remarkable as a silently tortured woman. You can see the pain in her eyes during the most downplayed moments. I recommend this film to anyone looking for a solid, timeless drama. I really feel it hasn't aged a bit.
½ July 24, 2009
What is so impressive on page or stage can come across very different in movie form. Here, Shirley MacLaine and Audrey Hepburn turn in performances that would be much more impressive in a theater than they are on screen. With the cameras inches away from their faces, it's hard to take their contorted facial expressions quite as seriously, and every aspect of the films walks a very, very thin line between serious storytelling and campy melodrama. The script remains impressive, and Hepburn and MacLaine are talented actresses... This was just too awkward a medium in which to tell this story. Disappointing.
February 4, 2009
really good...i hate that little girl in that movie...she caused so much trouble and is such a little brat
½ June 7, 2009
Superb acting; very Alfred Hitchcock type directing. Movie outwits your assumption (it did outwit my assumption of where the story line was headed).
March 22, 2007
Deep subject matter for it's time. This movie was a remake of an earlier version which came out in the 30's or 40's. I think the title was the same. A little girls' lie leads to the eventual suicide of a lesbian school teacher.