Kevin of the North (Chilly Dogs) Reviews

December 9, 2009
July 26, 2008
Ulrich stars as Kevin Manley, a small-town travel agent who has just inherited a whole lot of money from his grandfather. But there's a catch, Kevin must complete a task. We're not talking an easy one like spending millions of dollars in a couple of days la Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions. We're talking dog race, the dog race, the Iditarod. Of course, there has to be a no-good-nick to wreak havoc on Kevin's quest, and since it's in Alaska, which is close to the northern reaches of Canada, who else could you cast but Leslie Neilson, He plays Clive Thornton, a grizzled old man who thinks Kevin's grandfather might have been hiding something. Kevin of the North initially looks like it might have some potential with the Snow Dogs set; youngsters and warm-hearted folk who like a good, wholesome animal movie. Well, the constant fart jokes, sexual content and racial stereotypes sure wreck that one. And there are no talking dogs here just mutts and mangy mongrels straight from the pound. Slapstick ensues and the race is on, with the city type trying to make it with the big boys.
½ June 4, 2007
omg, that was so hilarious!!! I was laughing my head off left and right!!! Poor Kevin just can't seem to have a good day!!! His team of dogs is so funny!!!
June 18, 2007
what a great movie! kinda reminded me of "Snow Dogs" with Cuba Gooding Jr. ... it's got the same principle behind it, a man inherits Alaskan land from a relative he never knew about, and then when he gets up there, has to run the Iditarod... but my guess is this was the one which didn't sell very well, so they did a remake of it with Cuba & released it with a different name.
½ July 25, 2012
I truly don't find this movie worthy of any percentage above ten. For the well-being of others, and to provide shelter from the absolute rock-bottom of cinematography, I need to give this movie a completely accurate review. First and foremost, the slapstick was absolutely atrocious throughout. In fact, I can hardly say that they succeeded in conveying slapstick humor at all, which is troublesome, considering it is indeed the simplest method of obtaining laughs. A great indicator of an awful movie is when not even the most primitive form of comedy is achieved. Along with this strange hybrid of bad humor, the plot was also a prominent issue. It meandered along without the slightest direction, and finally ended sloppily in a cheesy and completely predictable way. Leslie Nielsen has certainly fallen from the graces, considering that he appeared in this awfully directed flick. His attempts at snide and clever commentary prove to be quite ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Also, Skeet Ulrich delivers a strange yet awful acting performance, and traces of failed Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick mimicking attempts can be detected throughout. This film resembles a badly done high school video project, and I'd be surprised if an amateur member of the third period drama club couldn't deliver a more solid performance. If you're looking for awful slapstick, ghastly character developement, and an extremely flimsy plot, then Chilly Dogs is the movie for you. If you are searching for a decent use of two hours, then move right along. I am ashamed to have contributed at all to this movie's success, and hopefully others can now be hindered from making the same mistake.
April 16, 2011
Even when i was aware of how holed it was i was enjoying it anyway because i laughed out loud all the way trough. Cute and enjoyable.
March 23, 2011
Cute Skeet Ulrich vehicle. Enjoyable fluff, though I wish the dogs had more screen time!
January 16, 2007
4.5/10. Predictable and only mildly amusing at times and it relies on a lot of physical humor to pull it through, which sometimes works, but more often doesn't. The cast is likeable but not exceptional. Nothing special.