• R, 2 hr.

40% Intruders: Season 1
90% Outlander: Season 1

Chrystal Reviews

February 12, 2014
Ray McKinnon's Chrystal is a real undiscovered gem. Starring McKinnon's now-deceased wife Lisa Blount and Billy Bob Thornton, Chrystal is a startlingly real story of pain and redemption set in the "wild" backwoods of Arkansas. With its powerful themes and emotional scars, fans of Sling Blade should appreciate this film equally. It is no caricature.

I loved the setting, characters, and issues, but the pace was uneven, At times I thought this was a brilliant film, and at others I thought it ponderous. The film is also "wild" in many senses; it features picturesque scenery and savage yet eerily accurate characters. Lisa Blount is wonderful; I'd like to see more of her roles. McKinnon is gifted also; I have seen him play a wide variety of characters. Chrystal's bluegrass musical background is a great addition and even steals a few scenes. This is a traumatic journey, not for the prudish or squeamish. It represents outstanding independent filmmaking.
Sarah P

March 22, 2009
A really great movie. It starts out a little weird, like you don't know what you're getting yourself into, but it is definately worth it. You become really invested in the characters (especially the dog!)
Erin C

July 12, 2007
This movie was so boring! It never picked up. Do not waste your time.
GabrielKnight
July 8, 2012
Excellent acting and directing in this indie drama. Unfortunately it's let down by a rather weak and somewhat drawn out story.
May 13, 2012
I liked this movie even with all the uncomfortable moments. Great actors in this authentic Southern film.
muveeKween
June 11, 2011
This movie was horrible. No real story. This is definitly not Billy Bob's strongest film-it doesn't even come close to Sling Blade if you get my drift. Don't bother on this one. A stupid movie about some whore named Chrystal who lost her kid in a crash. Very slow movie and the characters are flat.

February 12, 2014

jennifer's picks & pa
February 12, 2006
[b]Chrystal [/b]is a southern melodrama directed by Ray McKinnon that fails to live up to it's potential despite an interesting premise. Twenty years earlier Billy Bob Thornton is fleeing from the cops with his wife Crystal (Lisa Blount) and son in tow when he tragically wrecks his car, severly injuring Cyrstal while his son's body is mysteriously never found. Joe (Thornton) returns twenty years later, wanting to make ammends with Chrystal while some of his old buddies try to lure him back into a life of crime. Chrystal still has sever pain from the accident, as well as psychological issues dealing with the loss of a child and the return of her husband. Unfortunately her character is so shallow that it's hard to have any feelings for her. The film also doesn't delve much into Chrystal and Joe's relationship together, spending more time focusing on the individual problems they have. An absurd side plot involving a blind university professor (Harry Lennix) researching folk music of the south adds nothing to the film. Somewhere there was a good story here, but McKinnon failed to deliver.

[b]Rock School [/b]is a documentary about Paul Green's School of Rock. The real life Paul Green is not a particularly fascinating character. A failed musician who opened a school to live out his dreams through his students. Not so much different from the overly obsessive father who runs a little league baseball team. And Mr. Green's method of motivation is swearing and put-downs. Not necessarily a good thing for fragile teens and pre-teen students. It's still all about him, which why this film doesn't quite hit the mark. It's far more interesting when the focus is on the students.

[b]The Assassination of Richard Nixon[/b] is based on a true story of a man who plotted to assassinate Richard Nixon. Sam Bicke (Sean Penn) is a salesman who's life is in shambles. His wife (Naomi Watts) has left him, he feels his boss (Jack Thompson) is out to get him, and he becomes even more frustrated when a small business loan he applies for is turned down. He feels oppressed by the system and vows to do one thing that will make people remember who he is. Obviously he never quite made it that far. Sean Penn does an adequate job playing a surprisingly dull would-be assassin, and Jack Thompson is a scene stealer as his boss, but the relationship with his ex-wife isn't developed very well, nor is his friendship with Bonny (Don Cheadle). Not a horrible movie, but one, like Sam Bicke, that can easily be forgotton.
jazza923
August 26, 2005
WHAT A SLOW MOVING AND BORING MOVIE. JEEZ, IT SEEMED LIKE IT WAS THREE HOURS LONG. RATHER BIZARRE STORY, TOTALLY UNCONVINCING. I UNDERSTAND AN ACCIDENT AND THE DEATH OF A CHILD CAN BE TRAUMATIC, BUT THIS IS WAY TOO EXTREME. THE PERFORMANCES ARE OKAY. O DOUBT THE STATE OF ARKANSAS IS AMUSED AT IT'S PORTRAYAL OF THEIR CITIZENS.
OPHELIA
April 2, 2004
[font=Arial]has anyone heard or seen this movie?[/font]