Chuck & Buck Reviews

½ January 18, 2009
Odd, unsettling comedy-drama about a man who continues to have an obsession over his childhood friend. Writer and star, Mike White, is unnerving as Buck, a childlike, lollipop-sucking, 27 year old stalker that you won't soon forget. At once, humorous, tender, scary and pathetic. The film masterfully juggles all of these tones and it's difficult to categorize. Unique and memorable
Ryan M
June 19, 2011

Mike White's "Buck" character will someday rank amongst one of the most unforgettable cinematic stalkers. White wrote the film, which was directed by Miguel Arteta, and it shows that White knows what makes movie stalkers so creepy, endearing, and ominous; innocence. White plays the stalker of the film, a man who is unable to grow up. He's able to bring out different emotions from the audience, taking us on a roller-coaster ride that doesn't care much for slowing down.

"Chuck & Buck" is the kind of film that most of us don't necessarily love, but it leaves us in a good mood regardless. It's such a deeply unsettling, sometimes even disturbing drama that will divide audiences for its creepiness and its characters, who are all likable, or at least by the end of the film, they are. I enjoyed the story here. I also admired Arteta's direction. He seems to be the kind of director who would understand the humanity, drama, and humor contained within Mike White's screenplay, although I do believe that White deserves most of the credit for the mostly positive outcome of the film.

Buck (White) is a lonely, timid, and innocent man in his late 20's, coping with the recent loss of his dear mother. His father had left his life long ago, and Buck doesn't have anyone to turn to. He invites an old friend who he calls Chuck (Chris Weitz) to the funeral party, and to his surprise, Chuck attends. Unlike Buck, Chuck has grown up, he is successful, and he has met the love of his life. Buck is not accepting. Buck doesn't want the party to be their last time to see each-other again. So this is why he's overjoyed when Chuck offers him to visit him and his girlfriend sometime in Los Angeles. He takes them up on this offer.

Buck has a lot of money to spend, but he settles for a motel. Buck is like a child, unable to let go of childhood toys and objects, so he sets them down in the room and feels at home. He waits a while, and then goes to meet his buddy Chuck. Since Chuck is a busy man, Buck entertains himself by writing a play, which he intends on premiering at a local theater, managed by Beverly (Lupe Ontiveros), who takes an unexpected liking to him. The play is inspired by the events that lead to "Chuck" and Buck's relationship as friends, which began with a onetime summer camp. What happened at camp is heavily implied when the film is nearing its end, but I won't let the secret get out that easily.

Mike White is a very gifted writer. I sympathized for his creepy, sentimental Buck; who is an obsessive stalker of the Chuck character. The man wrote the story so that we could identify and care about Buck and only Buck. Thus, White's performance, as an actor, playing the character, is also quite wonderful. Weitz is somewhat unlikable when we're first introduced to his annoyance and nigh hatred for Buck, although this is the point. Lupe Ontiveros is also wonderful as the theater manager, who insists on being Buck's only friend. I appreciated the relationships between each character because among other things, they felt real.

"Chuck & Buck" is not a great film, but it is an undeniably good one. There are those who will love it and form a sort of cultish circle around its existence, and I can't really say that the film deserves any more or any less. There was a lot that I really liked about the movie, to the point where flaws are out of the question. I do not know why this well-written, well-directed effort is NOT perfect, because it resonates fairly well, and I was touched in the end. Perhaps it has something to do with my admiration for unforgettable shots, usage of a great soundtrack, and the like. "Chuck & Buck" is not an art film, and it does not necessarily try to be great movie, so as a film that wins as a piece of entertainment and as a piece of human insight, it's satisfying and definitely worth seeing.
July 9, 2011
It works largely because the central conflict is so fascinating. One man refuses to let go of the past and the other refuses to confront it. It makes for a unique and oddly moving film, especially when the two title characters are forced to find a way to reconcile their opposing perceptions.
February 1, 2008
For a very gloom subject, the movie knows how to be funny when it needs to. Mike White's performance really makes this a stand-out as he expertly portrays his unsettling man-child character and really makes us wonder about how we sometimes cling too much to our past and how past actions can affect or disturb us, yet it also has a touch of hope and it ends up being a rather positive movie about growing up and changing. I was really only bothered by how it seemed there was no end in sight at first, but I was glad how they finished the story.
½ July 10, 2007
Sweet and deranged, but really nice at times.
½ August 25, 2006
Weird, funny and a nice twist. Not for the homophobic.
½ February 3, 2012
So freaking weird and creepy. But you can't help but feel for Buck, as ridiculous as the stuff is that he does. It's an unusual premise for a stalker film, and the ultimate realization is unsettling. There's a lot at play here, and it's a daring piece of cinema that somehow ends up making you happy at the end -- happy without Hollywood sugar-coating anything, because the resolution is really, really nice. This is weird piece of filmmaking that is simple but incredibly effective and memorable.
June 13, 2007
So on the surface Buck might seem like a stalker but when you get deeper into it you realize he's just trying to make sense of the world he's in.
½ July 25, 2008
I didn't actually like this movie lol. I liked it for its strength and showcasing the pain of unrequited love. Its is one of the worse and most uncomfortable things to watch.
January 16, 2008
They don't get much weirder or more uncomfortable than this. This movie centers around two characters who were childhood friends. They engaged in a homosexual relationship in junior high. Then Chuck moves away. Chuck tries to forget it and writes it off as experimentation. Buck never forgets it. Chuck becomes the center of his adult fantasies. Buck is the ultimate greasy, gross, weirdo stalker. The movie takes one unexpected and nauseating turn.
July 1, 2007
This is probably one of the hardest movies to watch ever... you'll squirm in your seat for the entire run time. Follows an isolated/nerdy guy and his unhealthy obsession with his childhood friend. Watch this if you feel like exploring social norms amongst friends. A must see... if you can handle it.
½ June 18, 2007
This movie somewhat reflected my life as twisted as that may sound...

I think all my male friends should see this movie.

"Want to play a game....can she here us...let's play that game where you put your dick in my mouth and I put my dick in your mouth...Chuck and Buck, suck and fuck?"
½ October 1, 2006
hmm, what to say about this one? I totally misinterpreted the synopsis on the back of this dvd case...something about 2 childhood friends trying to revisit the past sounds sort of fascinating and heartwarming, right? Not quite. This was too odd and disturbing to qualify as funny or compelling. To top it all off, that darn oodly, oodly song was engrained in my mind for a few weeks after viewing the movie.
½ September 20, 2006
this was a big disappointmet and a waste.... i thouoght that it would be a little better then it was
½ May 22, 2015
A strange and often uncomfortable movie about sexuality and friendship.
½ August 31, 2014
Do yourself a favor and burn your eyes out. It's better than looking at Can I call it that? Not really. Pretty much it's just an exercise in how to drown out what could be called a decent comedic storyline with child-molester level creepiness and overly looong scenes. Just a train wreck. Two thumbs up this movie's a$$.
May 16, 2014
I don't see this as a stalker movie, it is about living in a state of constant desire, about wanting something that you can't have and living with that. A really great movie, my favorite film of 2000.
½ March 25, 2014
Odd, entertaining and memorable.
½ March 17, 2013
Being part of the early stages of digital film-making, the crappy presentation of Chuck & Buck almost adds to the creepiness of it. Every single thing about this movie is terrifying, though subtle. Mike White plays an extremely damaged character whose child-like emotions keep him from being social with many people. His performance is probably one of the creepiest I've ever seen. The film does a great job of practically tormenting you with obnoxious songs about fun, unsettling behavior from the lead, and a filming method that makes you feels as if you shouldn't be watching the film at all, like you're intruding.
January 13, 2014
A well-acted gentle little film about a man fixated on a childhood relationship in the confused emotions following his mother's death. He finally has to workout how to live in the adult world. Very well acted, especially by Mike White and Lupe Ontiveros. In the hands of Hollywood, this would have become a violent stalking murder film, but in this indie movie it becomes a disturbed man's adjustment to living in the real world. A refreshingly different picture.