Churchill: The Hollywood Years Reviews

½ February 21, 2012
I may have not reviewed them all the ones I've watched but I'm on a slow journey to own and watch every single film with Christian Slater in, not only does this require busting out the old VCR but it also runs the risk of watching some potentially awful films, one of which I thought would be 'Churchill: The Hollywood years', suffice to say I was pleasantly pleased.Okay, son the narrative is a bit jolted, the film had about four endings and the whole set up featured in modern times wasn't the greatest idea, but this is a comedy and it's certainly not meant to be taken seriously, especially since Slater plays Churchill if he was an American G.I that marries queen Elizabeth, rediculous. But fun.This was one of the Slater films I was most worried about and I'm happy it turned out reasonably well. Even if it is pasted with annoying moments it still gets some good laughs and is an enjoyable 80 minutes.
garyX
November 28, 2006
A nice idea, but it was done much better in the Comic Strip Presents...Strike!. Some funny moments and decent talent involved, but it's spread far too thin over 90 minutes.
½ March 24, 2007
Bizarre re-writing of World War II history in the style of a British Naked Gun film, that unfortunately has more misses than hits. It's only 80 minutes long, but this would probably have worked better as a running skit in a TV sketch show (it's from the writer of "The Comic Strip presents...") than a feature film.

There are some laughs to be had: Christian Slater doing a rap about The Third Reich and Neve Campbell's pretty accurate impersonation of Princess Elizabeth are good value, but there's only so much mileage you can get out of hearing Leslie Phillips tell people to 'f*ck off' before it starts to grate, and the "Everything But The Kitchen Sink" approach makes for a cluttered film.

Worth a look if you're a fan of Christian Slater or Neve Campbell, or get a kick out of politically incorrect British humour.
DrLappos
½ September 2, 2009
This is absolute bunkum but great fun with it. Its silly, its over the top and I loved it.....Slater plays a great part even if it is a little traitorous......lol.
July 11, 2008
The jokes in this film are like waiting for a train. You hear them coming, know that they are coming and them watch them shuffle into the station, ashamed.
January 18, 2013
This film implies Churchill was an action hero star who tried to prevent Hitler's rise to power. Overwhelmingly and almost insultingly stupid, as well as a magnificent mess. The fact that the mess is intentional and is supposed to be part of the fun does not necessarily make it any better.
½ February 21, 2012
½ February 10, 2012
What if Winston Churchill was an American G.I., Eisenhower was black, and Adolf Hitler had only got one ball. Well that is what you will get in this action comedy starring Christian Slater, Neve Campbell and a star studded list of A-list comedians. I laughed out loud when my dad told me about that song he used to sing, but the rap version of the song they performed really was not up to par.

All in all a righteous laugh, and I'd recommend it to anyone who has a funny bone. Although if you are looking good war story with good acting and historical accuracies, then you better leave.
May 22, 2011
An absolutely awful comedy that ruins one of the greatest leaders of all time's name in almost every way.
½ March 16, 2011
I didnt laugh, then i fell asleep.
December 7, 2005
It's a very good premise that isn't really furfilled fully. The humour isn't that great, but it is entertaining, what really saves the film however is some great performances from countless British comics.
½ September 13, 2005
Mijn god! Deze film is wel zo enorm slecht... terwijl het idee wel grappig is (Winston Churchill is een stroman, de echte Churchill is een amerikaanse G.I.) maar de grappen zijn flauw en het verhaal gaat werkelijk nergens over. Hitler in Engeland.... zonde van de tijd. Zowel die van jezelf als die van de acteurs. het britse accent van Neve is dan nog wel grappig, maar verder..... lekker laten lopen!