City Rats Reviews

March 14, 2010
Danny Dyer, Susan Lynch and Tamer Hassan do their best to convince but City Rats is never more than a compendium of clichés hoping to amuse and move us. In the end it does neither.
lesleyanorton
January 28, 2010
A pensive day in the life of eight Londoners, searching for sex or death, or maybe both. The story jumps around between each character so it takes a little while to catch up on who's who, especially since there's only a degree or two of separation between them all. Some of the acting is wooden enough to float but all that jumping around does keep you interested. Besides, who isn't interested in sex or death, or maybe both.
½ February 18, 2012
One of the worst films I have ever seen. A film about a several stories all running alongside one another. The only interesting one is that of Danny Dyers character and he is the one with the least screen time. A complete mess.
½ May 31, 2010
Biggest pile of twaddle i have ever put on my dvd player.

Pretentious, arthouse crap with loose ends from the start which you think will be tied up by the end. By the end your left with more loose ends than you started with and all the ones you had are fraying. Tamer Hassan parts usually rely on action rather than his acting abilities so sticking him in this along with Danny Dyer was never going to work.

The sleeve describes it as 'pulp fiction style'. Purely on to sell DVD's.
May 19, 2010
A very odd and confusing film about 8 people who are all finding it hard to make a decent living in London. The film at first sight sounds amazing it has the stars of 'The Buissness' and claims to be a pulp fiction style text. This however is not the case infact i have never said this about a film before but it literally sucks, Its pathetic attempt to try and copy pulp fiction fails epically and as for the action packed stars of the buisness if they werent in this film it would literally be deemed unreadable. Theres two much talking and the film constantly makes you feel depressed all trhe way through i shall give this film a 2 as it does keep you hooked enough to watch untill the end to discover what happens (which by the way is crap)and the performance of Danny Dier as a ex-con i quiet liked apart from that dont see it, buy it or go near it EVER!

2/10
½ April 14, 2010
strange film very slow moving but has a few good bits
½ March 19, 2010
This was the worst, most pretentious load of absolute inane rubbish I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

Luckily, however I managed to get my £3's worth (that's what it cost in Tescos) by watching 'the making of City Rats' in the extras part of the DVD. This was hysterical. The horrible, misogynistic and clearly sexually perverted director is on the biggest ego trip of his life and has managed to drag everyone else on this production along with it like some pied piper of doom.

There are some great lines like

'I did some research - I'll miss playing Chris' (James Lance, the bloke with the bit part in Alan Partridge on his thoroughly embarrassing portrayal of an autistic homosexual - Hoffman you are most certainly not).

'I read a lot of shit scripts - but they are made into a success by big Hollywood actors' - Hussan. True... but this script is the most shit one ever and it's only got you in it so that's even worse.

Danny Dyer said some really funny things too (in that sort of I'm trying to be a serious method actor kind of a way) and the guy out of that dull mid 90's asian family on Eastenders definitely got the top w*nker award but I've forgotten what both of them said right now and I can't face watching it again so you'll have to check it out for yourself..

My favourite quote however is from the 1st AD (I think it was) who said... 'This is the part of the DVD you watch when you've watched the film so many times and you think there must be something else on here to watch.' I suggest he reads the first review of this film I ever read which says... 'I would rather f*st my own dead grandmother than watch this film again.'

What started as a thoroughly depressing waste of an hour and a half of my life turned into a hysterically funny evening (albeit helped by a half a bottle of Jack Daniels). Buy this DVD (but try and get it for less than the £3 I paid) and have a laugh at the expense of everyone's inflated and misplaced egotistical ramblings on the 'making of'. It just shows you what happens when a bunch of failed trustafarian film students in Notting Hill actually achieve what they have been threatening to do for the last 10 years once armed with daddy's cheque book.
March 5, 2010
All over the shop with crap dialogue
February 8, 2010
Just a truly awful film i have nothing positive or enjoyable to say about this film