The Claim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Claim Reviews

puffchunk
May 16, 2008
What's more fun that a wagon of nitro blowing up a horse? If you like gold, snow and whores...you'll love the claim.
December 5, 2006
Dillon: I don't drink anymore. I want you to know that.

Between this movie and another overlooked film, Ravenous, I seem to enjoy movies set in the Sierra Nevadas during the 1860s.

This movie takes place in said setting, and involves a town built on the finding of gold in the area, known as Kingdom Come. A town named Kingdom Come is very cool to me, I just feel I need to point that out.

This town is run by Mr. Dillon, a man who has some bad history involving those he arrived in the area with.

At the beginning of the film, a man (Wes Bentley) from the Railroad company arrives, looking at the town as a prospect for where the Railroad may come through. This will make or break the town. If it comes through, good for them. If it is set up somewhere nearby, a new town will be built and this one will decline.

Also entering the town is a woman sick with Tuberculosis, and her daughter (Sarah Polley) with histories of their own involving this area. These secrets are not secret for long in the film, but its better to describe it this way.

Also in town is a brothel, run by Mr. Dillon's mistress Lucia, played pretty well by Milla Jovovich, proving she doesn't always need to be in bad sci-fi action films.

These five main characters all interact in various way, forming a number of love triangles, and other obstacles they must face.

As interesting as the story is, this film is also very good visually and combined with a very good score, it makes this a very good film.

Lucia: No guns, there are no guns allowed in my town.
November 13, 2007
Though well acted, the emotional possibilities pretty well freeze to death in the snowbound landscapes.
January 9, 2013
As versatile as ever, Winterbottom's western is one of his most underappreciated films. Milla Jovovich singing the fado? Yes, please.
April 14, 2012
A lot of the lines seemed a bit forced and the characters were quite shallow. Still a very watchable movie with a decent story line.
½ May 4, 2009
Wes Bentley sleeps with every female character and Sarah Polley is nearly as out of place as Dana Delaney in "Tombstone." ::yawn::
October 21, 2008
This movie, about a man who sells his wife and daughter for titular claim and creates a town which his wife and daughter track him down at years later, while the prospect of a railroad occurs at the same time, went under my radar somehow, but I am glad I caught it on IFC. This is a great, quiet, character study of a western that works on wuite a few levels. First off, the performances are great, Jovavich especially surprised me, since this is one of the few realistic characters she's ever played. The music is strangely epic and it works well with the locations of the film and give it a real exploration and conquering feeling for the railroad surveying scenes. And the characters are all developed very well, which is the most important aspect. By the synopsis, you would think that Mullan's character would be heartles and evil, but he is very understated and you can't help but feel sympathy for him. This goes for nearly all of the principle characters. They sometimes do awful things, but you can't help but forgive them because it is all so anticlimactic. This may sound negative, but I thought it worked out in a great, original way.
July 22, 2008
As many other reviewers have noted, yes, it does move slowly. However if you watch European films on a regular basis and/or have learned to be entertained without constant action like a five-year-old, then you might get something out of this film. I thought it was very well-acted and I get emotional every time I watch it. This is probably my favorite movie about love.
½ April 14, 2008
This was slow and boring. I guess I wasn't interested in paying attention to the movie. So it sucked.
½ December 3, 2007
It didn't grab my attention and was slow-moving, as I didn't care about what happened to any of the characters. The script seemed flawed, as I don't think people in 1869 said fuck (I could be wrong). Also, if you are looking for your father, you don't shout his last name, you say Father! and know that he will recognize your voice.
August 25, 2007
Powerful story with three powerful female leads: Nastassja kinski, Milla Jovovich, and Sarah Polley. I don't even remember the men!
½ August 18, 2007
This is a pretty good movie. The only thing I wish there would have been more of, is some physical contact between Peter and Sarah's charaters. Through the whole movie you knew they were falling in love with each other, but they never kissed or anything.
½ August 2, 2007
Slow start, calm middle, peaceful ending. Good western, settler movie. Milla sings and does a really good job!
½ July 18, 2007
Solid acting, decent plot, and well written. It is a bit drag-ass here and there, and somethings just don't seem to fit in the time period. It's a decent flick though.
September 10, 2005
Just once I would like to see a good adaptation of The Mayor of Casterbridge. I love the story but the 2 movies I have seen have been such bores. This one looked intresting. It is the same story but set during the gold rush in America instead of England.
In a drunken moment Daniel Dillon sells his wife and daughter for the claim to a gold mine. Twenty years later he is the rich owner of the prosperous town of Kingdom Come with a beautiful mistress, Lucia. But then his wife and daughter, Hope, will come back into his life.
There is not much to say about this movie other than it is soooo boring. The story was never fully developed...maybe that was b/c they spent the first half of the movie showing all the men having sex with the prostitutes which had nothing to do with the plot. The casting was also bad in the case of Hope (Sarah Polley). She was annoying, homely, scraggily and those teeth! It was very unbelieveable that Dalglish (Wes Bentley) would choose her over the beautiful and exotic Lucia (Milla Jovovich).
The ending was also very disappointing. I was exspecting some big climatic ending seeing as nothingelse in the movie was the least bit climatic but no.
April 11, 2016
I saw it but do not recall it well.
February 7, 2016
pulls you in - no over the top bad men, just sound story with sound, struggling characters - what was settling the west truly like?