64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Claire's Knee (Le genou de Claire) Reviews

stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

February 16, 2011
Eric Rohmer. I get it, I like his sensibilities, and I think he is an important filmmaker. But "Claire's Knee" is just grueling for me. I found nothing to latch onto. I though the way the characters spoke was the farthest thing from reality. I also don't mind slow films, but this was slow for almost no reason. I know people will jump to disagree with me, but the story, while simple, could have used just a tad bit of flare- at least from the actors. I don't know, nothing about the film struck me as engaging or emotional. I understood the message perfectly fine, but to make it meaningful I needed a touchstone of some sort and it was sorely missing.
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
A beautiful realisation of love and desire from several peoples view points, this is a very touching (excuse the pun) film, although it may seem like the tale of a dirty old man trying to grope a young girls leg it?s really not.
Megan S

February 9, 2007
It was okay. I fell asleep watching it once and had to finish it a different day. It was sorta like a French "Lolita" without the sex, and much less interesting.
zeiko18
January 2, 2007
About a hundred times better than My Night At Maud's. Thing about Claire's knee is that it's really, really bony.
February 17, 2014
um filme para as pessoas que peferem ler bons romances, e gostam de bons filmes de vez em quando.
September 22, 2013
Perhaps only the French would concoct a movie about a summer place (around a lake) where a 35-to-40 year old man about to get married discusses the possibilities and implications of an affair with a teenage girl. Perhaps only Eric Rohmer would make such a movie. The film itself is chaste but evocative. Jerome stumbles into the plot because he runs into his friend, Aurora, a writer, who is lodging with a single mother of two teen girls (from different fathers, although it matters not). She wants to experiment with an idea for a novel (about an older man and a teenage girl). The acting of the principals captures the right blend of awkwardness, especially for Jerome who is very out-of-place at times in the young person's world. Of course, in a somewhat Bunuellian (or Nabokovian) fashion, the film becomes focused on Claire's knee as an object of desire. What would be the various meanings or effects of a gentle touch of that knee? A film that unwinds through talk that seems natural enough, though literary in scope, and which pulls you in through the ordinary suspense created when we wonder what people will do when they have moral choices to make.
August 13, 2013
My first French film. Transformed my life and I have never looked back. If I recall correctly, I saw this at the suggestion of John Paul Thorpe.
November 18, 2012
Top-tier Rohmer. Although, pretty much all Rohmer is top-tier. Ebert put it best: "Claire's Knee is a movie for people who still read good novels, care about good films, and think occasionally."
Adrian B.
June 13, 2012
On Lake Annecy along the Swiss/French border, a boater (Jean Claude Brialy) meets a woman to whom he knew from previous years and they begin to have an affair. He then gets involved with her and her wealthy extended family, for which he also develops a strange, romantic relationship with the sister. In addition, a young niece of the family develops a crush on the intriguing boater. Strange, romantic entourage completely surrounding Claude-Brialy's flirtatious character is amusing and bizarre. Contains a heavy script with a lot of dialogue, but is inventively told with a screen card showing every day of the relationships between the boater and the family (all the days which are in July). Nicely photographed to help add to the film.
January 19, 2012
I saw this picture 40 years after its release and still loved it! Excellent character development through enjoyable dialogues. A great film but not to everyone's taste.
December 27, 2011
Throughout the film, you keep telling yourself, "It's just a knee!" and there's some dissonance there because you know it's not JUST a knee. It's amazing how Rohmer can weave a most profound, disturbing tale of obsession (to the point of perversion) with an act as mundane as touching someone's knee.
November 18, 2011
In a sense, Eric Rohmer is my "guilty pleasure" New Wave French filmmaker. At the heart of it, he is so unrelentingly cynical about his characters from the French Bourgeois, I often wonder how the French feel about his portrayal of them. But he still manages to take slight characters with their slight problems and turn them into something strangely epic. I've seen a lot of Rohmer films, and I'm pretty sure this is my favorite. The photography is so stunning, the acting is solid, especially by newcomer Béatrice Romand.
April 18, 2011
What crap. How does this get so many good reviews? I really don't get it. I thought the acting stilted, the plot contrived, and the lives being portrayed sterile and empty. Really a waste of space. A film without any honesty, at any level, masquerading as clever and subtle. Move on swiftly.
vermi c.
January 30, 2011
Two immorally promiscuous f*ck-ups conspire to rape a teen's kneecap and her innocence. In the this film they just went about their own perverse way, leaving the teen broken as the writer predicted and patting themselves on the back that they were "experimenting" and thinking themselves so smug and acceptable because they had these unseen fiances that would redeem themselves. Yuck.
odditie