71% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Class of 1984 Reviews

Phil H

November 10, 2011
The first in the 'Class of' trilogy and a pretty different outlook over the other two as this film is actually more of a serious approach to the story. One teacher up against a gang of yobs within the school which starts off with mere issues but slowly develops into a life or death scenario as the gang and the teacher press harder for retaliation.

Compared to the other films this is a much darker affair which does get pretty tense as you really get behind Perry King's character to defeat the gang, you wanna see him beat them. Set in the present (of the time) so everything looks as it should unlike the sequels, the film of course looks really dated now mainly down to cars, hair styles and outfits but its still a great thriller with a really nice ensemble cast that all perform well.

Van Patten as the psychopathic pretty boy leader is really good the way he switches from menacing greaser to a whimpering high school kid to trick the officials, McDowall fits this type of trashy low budget film perfectly and King really cranks up the suspense giving the film real edge.

For all its silliness, increasing amounts of violence and lack of subtlety the film is probably quite accurate I think, it possibly does show what can and has happened in urban schools to some degree, the security guards etc...a reasonable prediction. Yes this film was a 'video nasty' back in the day in the UK, one of those films that was thought to corrupt the young and innocent hehe I can see why somewhat, looking back now though its a good fun revenge thriller which is so gloriously 80's and introduced us all to a young chubby Michael J. Fox.
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

January 26, 2011
Cult shocker (for its time) about a gang of lawless school pupils who rule over the other students and teachers with violence and intimidation until one teacher decides to take a stand and fight back. Yeah it's an entertaining film, not much shock value left nowadays for it as it comes off a bit too cheesy. A rape scene, a severed arm and the use of the word "cunt" are the only offensive things that some people may find in the film. The best moments are towards the end when the punks get the tables turned on them.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This is another of the school themed movies with an updated story like that in the 50s movie, Blackboard Jungle. This one is very 80s, and it's very excting, and I really enjoyed it.
Gimly M

May 8, 2014
Although the seventies was certainly more the era for revenge flicks, the eighties certainly had their fair share, and if I'm completely honest, Class of 1984 does not stand particularly high among them.

But I really did enjoy it. It's nice to go back to some classic R-rated cinema with low expectations and have those expectations met. It may not sound like much of a compliment but Hell, it's better than most can muster. Sure it suffers from that standard catchall where you chuck the villains some Nazi references to make sure nobody can sympathise with them (which actually particularly aggravated me, because the next day they throw you a curve-ball with the leader of the villains by making him actually a three dimensional character, but his gang never amount to more than utterly moronic skinheads-come-punks), but I found its merits outweighed its downfalls.

It was one of Michael J. Fox's first roles (simply "Michael Fox" at the time) and I'm told presents a vision of Detroit, L.A and Chicago schools that is horrifically accurate to this day (having never seen them myself, I can neither confirm nor deny this). Doesn't matter, because what's important is that this dated piece does hold up to this days gauge for entertainment-value. Or at least it does mine.

65%

-Gimly
Sylvester K

September 5, 2013
Gosh the acting was awful, but it accurately predicted what the teenagers would be like in Detroit or Chicago even till today. The film makes me depressed, even though all the actors are well overaged and nothing is realistic; Class of 1984 may be a shocker, but it managed to be a nostalgic cult classic..
John2223
John2223

March 25, 2009
The movie isn't a masterpiece by any standards but it's a fun film to watch.
It is a brutal and increasingly violent thriller BUT I still prefer the sequel ¨Class of 1999¨
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 27, 2007
Silly....but you gotta see it to beleive it.
The80sExpert
September 20, 2008
I loved Roddy McDowall in this movie, I wanted him to be the main character, he was more interesting. The main character's problems at the school are almost exactly like those of the teacher in the movie, Blackboard Jungle, so he was a pretty mediocre character, it was all the other characters who made the story good. I did wish that he could have found some way to get through to the students who were causing trouble the way they do in other teacher movies, but this movie is different, and I liked that.
NuditysShiver
September 5, 2009
The sequal Class of 1999 does not rank anywhere near this one. This is the original and probably the best out of The Substitute genre. Minus the Richard Brooks film Blackboard Jungle. Perry King delivers a truly great performance here as a teacher fighting back on the students who torment him. The violence displayed when he gets hellbent was perfectly shot. For being an early 80's film, it sure does tell a much more colorful story than any present day movie now. It's just sad to know that it's been horribly mimicked all these years. Class of 1984 still holds true.
jklein8787
May 7, 2007
Michael J. Fox gets stabbed, Alice Cooper music, a conservative theme of an "eye for an eye" with plenty of blood. Loved it.
October 16, 2006
Pretty good 80s period piece flick in which a teacher goes vigilante on punk ass! Definately worth a view...and you will spot a young Michael J Fox as one of the "good teens" too!
aelric99
September 9, 2006
the star of master ninja runs a high school gang that make tyhe kids from dangerous minds and the substitute look timid. i can't say it's great, but it was enjoyable. the wife scenes didn't need to be there, as the screenwriter obviously didn't know how to write romantic dialouge, or and director didn't know how to film it. regardless, it's worth a look.
May 25, 2014
"a teacher is required to be responsible".

Crazy movie, mad new teacher causes escalation of violence instead of difusing it.

A second teacher holds his class hostage with a gun and the principle says, "a teacher is required to be responsible". This is portrayed as unfair. The second mad teacher tries to kill a student later that night and dies in the attempt...

Madness.
Gimly M

May 8, 2014

65%

-Gimly
Sgt. Cockstrain
February 24, 2014
(53%)
An 80's sleaze picture with more brains and decent acting than usual with these movies. A main draw to this now is to see Michael (no J at this point) Fox in an early role in which he does have quite a bit of screen time, and looks very young, particularly compared to his school mates, and it is no wonder why he played a 17 year old whilst in his twenties for his most famous role yet to come. The movie still is somewhat shocking, mainly because metal detectors in schools and the like have now become widespread in certain parts of the world, which is a little sad. The flick really is more of a drama than anything else so don't expect too much horror (although the wood work room death is a grisly highlight) or action for that matter, and for that much alone it's still worth tracking down, and even if the opening and closing theme song from Alice Cooper is pretty awful, and overall the movie is far from great. But it's still worth a look mainly for fans of these hard-edged 80's films, or those that want to see Fox in an early gritty move before he became a world wide star.
March 2, 2014
Most untouchable killer teens film study. They kill! They maim! They're obstinate! They sell drugs! Sadly, nothing can be done, ever, except by Man Zero, Mr. Norris. Nothing makes any sense, it's all schlock, but the ending is very satisfying. Strange Michael J. Fox role too.
October 21, 2013
The band director is the hero of this horror movie, of course 5 stars!
Sylvester K

September 5, 2013
April 27, 2013
when does a dream, become a nightmare?