The Big Risk (Classe tous risques) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Risk (Classe tous risques) Reviews

rubystevens
½ November 8, 2008
another terrific french gangster film lost in the wake of the new wave, starring tough guy lino ventura as a career criminal who tries to return to france with his wife and children after 10 years away in italy. when things don't go according to plan, his old friends don't want to upset their quiet respectable lives to help out their former pal and so they send a young thief, jean paul belmondo, to his rescue. belmondo was on the brink of stardom here as this was made immediately after 'breathless,' and the film was highly influential on the work of jean-pierre melville
sanjurosamurai
½ June 17, 2009
the film begins well, then heads towards one of the most heart wrenching and beautiful second acts ive ever seen on film, and the third act even continues in this leading me to want to give the film at least 4 1/2 stars until an incredibly anti-climatic and disappointing closeout of an otherwise brilliant film. although the film drops an entire star for the horrible ending, i still loved this movie. as a father it was hard to watch but reminded me of how much i love my kids. a gritty crime story with solid performances from belmondo and ventura, highly recommended for anyone into the crime genre.
Harlequin68
December 4, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Classe Tous Risques" starts out with a father dropping his wife and kids off at the Milan train station while on the way to work. The father is Abel Davos(Lino Ventura) who was sentenced to death in absentia in France. He and his partner pull off a daring daytime heist. Realizing the police are closing in on him in Italy, Davos makes it back to France and is cornered in Nice. He calls one of his old gang in Paris for help and requests an ambulance. One of his old gang wants to go but is out on bail. The other two are now semi-legit and do not want to risk it. They do send somebody they are unfamiliar with, Eric Stark(Jean-Paul Belmondo), down to Nice with the ambulance.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Classe Tous Risques" is a taut crime drama that is about honor and loyalty amongst criminals. In general, it concerns itself with acts of random kindness, sometimes from and towards the least likeliest of people. There is great location shooting and camerawork.[/font]
½ December 16, 2011
A well filmed sequence of interesting events, but lacking a hook, or characters in whom I felt invested, or sufficient narrative drive for me to really call it a story.
September 8, 2010
a stylish french gangster film with an ending that may be seen as anti-climactic... which i characterize instead as quietly tragic, not to mention more 'adult' somehow in its consciousness
August 15, 2010
Brilliant entry in the pantheon of classic french noirs from the 1960s. Expert directing from Claude Sautet and stellar acting make this a stylish and riveting thriller with constant twists and turns. Not to be missed by noir fans or followers of French cinema.
October 20, 2009
There's nothing irritating or stupid or awful about it, it's just so unremarkable. A typical story about a tragic French gangster, does nothing to stand out from similar works by Melville, Dassin, Becker. Not a waste of time, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you just can't get enough French noir (or Jean-Paul Belmondo, whose sauve presence as a secondary character is far more compelling than Lino Ventura in the lead).
June 10, 2009
½ November 5, 2008
Being a career criminal, Lino Ventura comes to the eventual realization that, even with a wife and two children, he can't help and is of no use to anyone and can never be. A great character study with a Noir backdrop.
August 10, 2008
This is really two very separate movies. It is pretty fantastic, but kind of lacks that "ummph" of being absolutely great.

The first twenty minutes had me riveted. Honestly, I kind of wish I stayed up and watched past the first twenty minutes, but I was plum exhausted last night and gosh darn it if Grand Theft Auto 4 was calling me for most of the day. But the first half of the movie is Road to Perdition, only considerably better. This is a story about a family at its heart initially. We see a man who we know is evil, but all we see is the good in him. He is a decent father who wants to be free of the life of his past. But there is something far more evil that Sautet lets us in on. It's not in the escape that makes him evil. It's the joy that he gets from escape.

There is no denying that he is selfish man. I suppose that's what this movie is about. We can confuse simply having a family with being a father. He is physically a father and loves his kids. But he selfishly loves them. He ensures their safety because they make him feel like a man. They make him feel human. But he does little for them. There's this extremely powerful scene where the family is sitting in a church and he makes his son, perhaps inadvertently, part of his con and his strategy. He does it so he can protect his son, but that's not what the role of a father is.

The second half of the movie is very different. The second half of the movie is a tale of obsession and greed. There's pangs of paranoia that run through this part of the movie that lead to the eventual downfall of this character. Yes, I thought the same things that the main character thought about his friends. I thought they should get in the ambulance and haul ass to go get him. But they also presented a really valid point. Not only that, but they were responsible for getting him to Paris without incident. Heck, if they hadn't done what they had done, there would have been a good chance that things wouldn't have worked out for the best. Also, that new friendship would not have blossomed. Call me a schoolgirl, but I think that part of the story is actually fairly vital. But the character can't live in a life of peace and that is really an interesting take on the criminal anti-hero.

The more I think about this movie, the more props I give it. I just upped it another half-star. There's a lot of alyers going into this movie, but there are some real flaws. Like I mentioned, this is two films. I think that I would have loved to investigate both stories more fully. We never really got the downfall of the wife's death and the end seems to be a series of gangland hits as opposed to a collapse into suspicion and insanity. Both sections touch on these important ideas, but neither full on embraces them. Also, the end is slightly weak. The concept behind the end was fantastic. I loved the fact that he gave up after all of that. I think that's the only way that could have ended. But the absolute last narration just seemed almost rushed. Almost like they weren't sure on how to end the movie and that was the safest way to go. I disagree with some of the choices, but it was still absolutely fantastic.

There's a lot of things going on with this movie and I don't really know how to classify it. The back of the box calls it a film noir. I don't think that is entirely accurate. MOre of the movie is about the escape than the mystery. The film clearly lays out its cards and you know what every character is about with the first few minutes of their introduction, with the exception of the main character who does de-evolve throughout the film. I would consider this a tale of paranoia and crime. That's probalby significantly more important than the mystery involved with the story. It's a very cool watch, but I don't think it would ever make one of those absolutely great French crime stories. It's a cool movie among other cool movies.
½ July 20, 2008
A French noir, quite the equal of its better American forerunners of the 40s and 50s, and entirely gripping.
½ July 5, 2008
Considering their stellar selection of films, it's disappointing to find the latest Rialto Pictures restoration to make it to DVD is a touch mediocre. It has star power in a post-"Breathless" Belmondo, Lino Ventura and Sandra Milo, but it lacks the pulse of other, better French crime films. I would never dissuade someone from renting it, but if you're just diving into the genre, there's quite a bit that's more essential and equally easily available.
September 25, 2013
The good end happily and the bad unhappily. Plus all you want from a film noir.
½ November 25, 2012
It's tough to make a movie about the consequences of the gangster lifestyle without glamorizing the very thing you set out to critique. This film does not fall into that trap. I should note that the location shooting is stunning.
rubystevens
½ November 8, 2008
½ December 16, 2011
½ March 26, 2011
A well filmed sequence of interesting events but lacking a hook or characters in whom I felt invested or sufficient narrative drive for me to really call it a story.
September 30, 2010
Premier succès de Claude Sautet avec Lino Ventura et Jean-Paul Belmondo (qui ne cabotine pas encore). Un excellent polar sur un homme traqué, aux abois et lâché par ses amis. A voir.
September 8, 2010