The Client (1994)
Average Rating: 6.1/10
Reviews Counted: 35
Fresh: 28 | Rotten: 7
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 6.2/10
Critic Reviews: 7
Fresh: 5 | Rotten: 2
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 55,162
A sterling cast headed by Oscar-nominated Susan Sarandon makes this slick thriller one of the better adaptations of a John Grisham bestseller. Mark Sway (Brad Renfro) witnesses the suicide of a Mafia lawyer, who confesses that the Mob was behind the murder of a U.S. senator. Mark's brother is traumatized into a coma by the incident; gangster Barry Muldano (Anthony LaPaglia) is soon on Mark's trail, and in desperation, he arrives at the office of recovering alcoholic lawyer Reggie Love
Jul 20, 1994 Wide
Dec 16, 1997
Warner Home Video
Watch It Now
Tommy Lee Jones
Clint Von Hooser
William H. Macy
Jo Harvey Allen
Woman at Desire
Anthony C. Hall
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
It's a successful frame-turner, no more, no less, and the pleasure we feel is every bit as mild and just as fleeting.
A high-voltage charge of suspense, action and humor.
It twists and turns in all the expected places, and almost never rises above the ordinary.
This isn't a masterpiece of suspense, but it has its moments and is capable of providing some light summer entertainment.
Susan Sarandon, the emotional center of the narrative, received a well-deserved Oscar nomination for playing a recovered alcoholic laywer who interacts with the boy as a surrogate mother and a pro.
An engrossing potboiler ... if you don't think too hard. But when you need a pot-smoking Lez Zeppelin-enslaved swamp rat-with-a-brain to plead your case, you call the pitch-perfect Susan Sarandon.
Boring cliche Grisham movie.
Pretty decent John Grisham adaptation
Grisham's best novel-to-screen adaptation.
Worthwhile adaptation of the best seller
Strong performances buoy standard Grisham potboiler.
There isn't a trace of subtlety or intelligence in the far-fetched adventure.
Almost every word Jones utters is terrific. The script is good, but his delivery is what makes it.
Audience Reviews for The Client
- Roy Foltrigg: Lyin' lips are an abomination to the Lord, so sayeth the Psalms!
- Harry Roosevelt: That's Proverbs 12:22.
- Mark Sway: Thanks, Rev. Roy, you've been a real pain in the ass.
- Roy Foltrigg: Thank you, son. I can assure you, you have been an even larger pain in the ass.
- Lieutenant: Where are your parents?
- Mark Sway: Where are yours?
- Lieutenant: Are you even injured?
- Mark Sway: Do I look injured?
- Lieutenant: Well, we only do injuries.
- Mark Sway: Well, I'll just go hit by a truck and come back.
- Clint Von Hooser: There goes my rent money. Now, where am I gonna stay.
- Reggie Love: You can stay here and take care of Momma Love. She likes you better than me, anyway.
- Clint Von Hooser: Well, that ain't hard to do.
- Roy Foltrigg: What's the Cloak and Dagger all about, Reggie. You know you can trust us.
- Reggie Love: You three come here alone?
- Roy Foltrigg: Nah uh!
- Reggie Love: That's the truth.
- Roy Foltrigg: Of course it is.
- Reggie Love: Well, then, why don't you just have one of them.
- Reggie Love: Just trot out just one of those cars that aren't in the parkin' lot and get a pen and a paper from one of those agents that aren't out there.
- Dianne Sway: All I've ever wanted as a white house with a walk-in closet.
Discuss The Client on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Client
January 17, 2008:Brad Renfro: 1982-2008
Brad Renfro, star of The Client and Apt Pupil, passed away Tuesday of unknown causes. He was 25.
November 24, 2006:"Batman & Robin" Writer Gets $4 Million for "Da Vinci" Prequel
Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman is allegedly earning a $4 million dollar paycheck for his...