94% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Clock (Under the Clock) Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
Two people meet, fall in love at first sight, and get married the end. Interesting and sweet, but predictable and silly at the same time.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 4, 2007
sweet gentle low key film with a non-singing Judy.
Dannielle A

April 26, 2010
Very romantic and emotional. Certain parts are so corny but somehow, before you realize it, your spirit is captured and floating away with the emotion in the film.
March 27, 2009
Pretty good war-time romance/comedy. Interesting things happen on their first date, and the disillusionment after they get married is interesting too. Worth your time.
January 8, 2008
This is a good oldie

Soldier Joe Allen is on a two-day leave in New York, and there he meets Alice. She agrees to show him the sights and they spend the day together. In this short time they find themselves falling in lov...( read more read more... )e with each other, and they decide to get married before Joe has to return to camp.
alsal
July 19, 2007
Very cute and got straight to the point. Any minute longer and it would have been too long..and Robert Walker looks like Mel Gibson
JudyGarlandFan
June 10, 2007
Judy Garland's first non-musical, dramatic film. This movie gets a lot of harsh criticism, but I find it to be one of her best performances. Judy was such a great dramatic actress - I really wish she had more of a chance to show her dramatic talent.
keishahosler
June 3, 2007
It was a good movie, but I thought it left a lot unanswered, like I don't like not knowing for sure that he's going to live through the war, and I mean they got married so fast, how are they going to work things out, she had said earlier in the movie that she wouldn't want to live out of the city. So there was a lot left unsaid, I don't like when movies do that, they just leave you to guess what's going to happen, if I wanted to fill in the blanks in myself, I'd write my own movie...of course the movie would probably suck lol.
crazylady01
June 2, 2007
I loved it. I thought it was a timeless romantic classic and proof that Judy Garland is a talented actress without the singing and dancing.
Adrian B.
June 17, 2012
Decent but dated melodrama in which, by random, a woman (Judy Garland) meets a soldier (Robert Walker) in front of a giant clock in New York City. The begin talking and instantly fall in love, lose each other on the subway, meet again in front of the clock, determine their names so they won't lose each other again, and decide to get married. It's got some emotion and two good stars, but it just doesn't work perfectly anymore. I can see being a big hit back in 1945, but sadly not today. The score is however good.
September 25, 2011
My favorite Judy Garland movie....and she never looked lovelier than in this movie.
August 3, 2011
This film may seem predictable by today's standards. However I found it to be a "darling" of a movie for being so old.
T.S.M.
October 3, 2010
Handsomely mounted romance - well structured, well shot, and well acted. Perhaps Judy Garland isn't so nuanced at this stage in her career, but Robert Walker is both charming and kinda innately creepy at the same time. It works nonetheless. The real standout is Keenan Wynn's single-take drunken performance, which must go for about 4 or 5 minutes. Very entertaining. Some beautiful shots from Minnelli, too - the most striking one being Walker, on a speeding subway, shooting straight into a close-up as he desperately searches for Garland. Haven't seen that one before.
Patrick C.
January 14, 2010
Judy Garland doesn't sing and it still works! It's a great little dramatic love story.
The -Stick
August 7, 2009
Corporal Joe Allen (Robert Walker) is on 48 hour leave pending his voyage to his assignment in Europe. Secretary Alice Mayberry (Judy Garland) is on her way home from work when she trips over Corp. Allen's foot at a crowded train station and breaks the heel of her shoe...setting up the chance encounter of the two lonely souls which will change their lives forever. This romantic drama from director Vincent Minnelli is a rare non-musical role for his wife, Judy Garland.

The lonely Corp. Allen is reluctant to say goodbye to the pretty secretary and Alice is at first reluctant but soon feels at ease around the kindly serviceman. Their relationship will deepen as the hours pass. I've read other comments that the relationship is unrealistic and to a certain extent maybe so - but I don't think that was the point of the story anyway. I feel the war definitely plays a part in why the relationship evolves in the short span that it does. That and the comment made by the milkman (James Gleason) - whom Alice & Joe later meet - reinforces the main theme of the film: "If people thought about all the (bad) things that could happen...they'd never do anything..." Also, the point is made about how much easier it is to fall in love than it is to actually certify the relationship as Alice & Joe try to navigate the bureaucracy of a city hall.

The film's release date (being after victory in Europe had been called) probably lessened the emotional impact of this film...especially in regards to Corp. Joe Allen who was awaiting assignment to Europe - when in real life - GI's were beginning to be sent home.

Also actor Robert Walker made such an impression on me in Alfred Hitchcock's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN that it takes some getting used to seeing him as romantic lead. Such was his performance in that film - which I thought gives Norman Bates a run-for-the-money as the creepiest Hitchcock character ever.

8.5 / 10
gillianren
November 1, 2007
There is one scene in this movie that made me laugh out loud. Unfortunately, it [i]really[/i] wasn't supposed to. You see, Robert Walker is moving slowly toward Judy Garland, and the music is swelling in the background . . . and it looks for all the world like he's going to strangle her, and the next scene will be cops standing over Dead Judy Garland.

This is a remarkably dumb movie. Robert Walker meets Judy Garland in Penn Station in a ridiculous meet-cute--she loses the heel of her shoe, and he thinks she's telling him that she's sprained her ankle. He goes with her to get it fixed, and sort of follows her around for a while. Then, they actually agree to go on a date, and it lasts all night, and then they decide to get married.

Yes--they decide to get married after knowing each other for about 24 hours. The milkman they end up doing rounds for (really) and his wife go on about how you can know someone just as well after a minute as you can after years (ridiculous, of course), and how you should get married when the impulse takes you. So they do. Very, very tame hilarity then ensues as they go through the process of getting a license and getting married.

One thing that I think must have pissed off a lot of people is the ending, wherein Judy Garland says that Robert Walker [i]must[/i] be coming back from the war, because they hadn't known each other two days earlier, and now they're married, and so it must be meant to be. A lot of people who felt their relationships were meant to be [i]didn't[/i] come back, regardless of what Judy Garland said. It would have irritated me.

I think this movie was supposed to boost morale; it did, after all, come out in 1945. If it were a better movie, it might even have succeeded. But mostly, it makes me think how very stupid these two people are. It's only after they're married, for example, that they find out if the other has living parents. Call me crazy, but it's the sort of thing you should discuss in advance.
mariah1217