Closer Reviews

½ May 20, 2007
Hello stranger. Depressingly adult anti-romance.

Compare with the the similarly themed and entertaining Carnal Knowledge for a look at what I think is director Mike Nichols losing a step or two - actually impressively little for 33 years down the road.
December 31, 2009
Once in a lifetime a film/play like this comes up, one that works as a true mirror to our own faults, flaws and vices, embodied by four fascinating, multidimensional protagonists who hurt and manipulate one another, using their words as cruel weapons and revealing their innermost weaknesses in the process.
May 15, 2007
I don't quite remember this film. Watched it a long time ago. Not particularly memorable I suppose.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Quite a sexy film. Weird and unusual but the film is well written. A must see!
garyX
½ April 28, 2007
Mike Nichols directs a well observed and witty study of relationships based on the love quadrangle between two couples. Far from the usual sentimental drivel you'd expect from Hollywood style films about "romance", this movie which although can seem a little overly self conscious in places, does have the kind of brutal honesty that superficially seems the antithesis. These lovers are in turns selfish, manipulative, spiteful and pathetic; just like real people. Jude Law is the perfect choice for playing a smug, self-involved asshole, Owen treads the fine line between likability and self righteous nastiness as does Portman's beautiful but emotionally needy bimbo. And Julia Roberts is inevitably Julia Roberts. At the end of the day you're still just watching a bunch of pretentious, priveleged, pretty people back stab each other and as such is not really my kind of thing, but if you're ever emotionally blackmailed by your other half into having to sit through a film about *cringe* "relationships" then this is far from the most painful. I am a man, after all...
jamers2011
½ December 13, 2010
Fantasic film! I knew very little about this film going into it, so I had no idea what to expect. What I found was an intense, tragic story of the relatonships of four people. The story takes place over a period of many years, so the films jumps around alot, but I never felt lost at all. The story was so brilliantly executed that I was completely taken in by it.

The actors really added to this feeling. Natalie Portman and Clive Owen both give phenomenal performances, both worthy of Oscar noms. It was nice to see Natalie Portman's first "adult" role....now I can't wait to see her performance in Black Swan. Jude Law and Julia Roberts also give great performances. The acting in this film is fantastic and really adds to to complexity of the story. Yes, the characters piss me off like no other, but the performances add a sense of realism to the story, allowing for the audience to feel sad for the characters too.

This is a very tragic, depressing story about "love." The thing I love about this film is how real it feels. Each character truly seems as if they could live near me, it's quite fantastic to watch. The script is brilliant, acting is phenomenal, story is tragic and real, the emotion is intense. This is a great film...not an easy film to watch with out being touched by it. I love it!
November 2, 2007
Brutally candid in its treatment of love, lust, loneliness, and loss. Cited the play in my paper "Contemporary Drama Meets 20th Century Loose Mamas." Showed end of Anna and Larry's fight scene at an academic conference to illustrate how in modern society, it's not just the act of adultery that dominates but the verbal vitriol with which it is told. Went over well :~P

Unclear: does Alice/Jane die at the end? She does in the play, but I had always assumed the last scene in the movie was just a pretty "can't take your eyes off of her" bookend. Upon rewatch, Justin pointed out that the pedestrian light is red as she crosses the street, perhaps foreshadowing her imminent demise. If so, Nichols could have made a slightly bigger deal about it - a slow-mo onrush of concerned passersby, crowding towards the bottom of the screen as the scene fades out.
August 10, 2007
Perfectly written, perferctly directed, perfectly acted.
½ December 23, 2010
The most realistic romance movie ever created with 4 amazing casts : Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, and Clive Owen. The relationship between 4 people become more and more complicated in the movie. It's not a love triangle anymore, but quadrangle. Another not-so-ordinary kind of hollywood movie that offers smart performances. Mike Nichols gave us the darkest love story ever told.
March 26, 2007
A funny, dark, honest and biting look at f-ed up relationships
October 21, 2010
Patrick Marber is a funny writer eh! No pun intended, it's just hard to associate The Day Today with Closer. It's like a really rude version of something Yasmina Reza might write I thought. I'm all for anti-rom-coms though and this is the best adaption of a theatre production I can remember seeing (Interview is really good too but not as accomplished). The acting and the dialogue are both brilliant, although Julia Roberts probably wasn't worth the fee. I can find very little at fault with the film but I didn't really like it, the characters are unlikable, sure they're written that way and performed accordingly, I just couldn't really empathise or relate to them which took some of the enjoyment away from me somewhat.
stevenecarrier
½ July 25, 2010
"Where is this love? I can't see it, I can't touch it. I can't feel it. I can hear it. I can hear some words, but I can't do anything with your easy words."

Mike Nichols' "Closer" is a dark, dense character study about modern relationships. Incredible acting and dialogue make this film unforgettable and tragic.
The Gandiman
½ January 22, 2010
Should've stayed on stage - lacked electricity and dimensionality.
LWOODS04
½ June 7, 2009
JUDE LAW, NATALIE PORTMAN, JULIA ROBERTS, CLIVE OWEN

Smart-but-ineffectual journalist Dan "We use euphemisms!" cant decide between his girlfriend, loving-but-clingy waitress Alice, or his lover cold-but-intellectual photographer Anna. Anna herself cant decide between Dan and honest-but-thuggish "You're bloody gorgeous!" doctor Larry.

Very few films out there that only have a handful of actors in it throughout the movie. This film definitely had to depend on these for actors and their acting ability. So thank goodness it was these four. Brilliant performances. Very raw. Loved the honesty and the bluntness of the whole film. Never seen a movie like this that is so real about relationships and so up-close and personnel. Not a romance comedy by far. Not a comedy at all. I guess this falls under more of a drama/romance. Julia Roberts is one of the best. I love watching her act. She is a favorite for sure. Natalie Portman is another, I love seeing her bring characters to life. She has so much emotion. You feel her pain. Jude Law was very vulnerable in this movie. Never seen him like that before. He was great. Clive Owen's character is probably the most rawest. He holds nothing back. Just really great performances. I loved how the story was told. No confusion going back and forth at all. It seemed to really work. I didn't even mind not seeing the drama of the in-between. I was pleasantly surprised by this film. Definitely not what I expected. Good watch...
½ June 13, 2006
Not your average movie about love and couples but a rude and realistic look at relationships between people. This film is full of truths about sex, love and how people treat each other. I sometimes sat amazed at how close those conversations were to actual ones I had or witnessed. An awesome cast of four stars carries this movie full of the most brilliant and real dialogues I probably ever saw on film, especially Roberts (hopelessly underrated in her regular chick flicks) and Portman (sexier than ever) give one of the best performances of their careers. Still, the movie doesn't take the drama too far, is sometimes even pretty amusing and funny, especially in the cybersex scene between the fantastic Clive Owen and Law. Hopeless romantics or people who haven't had their share of heartache and relationship drama might call this blunt and over the top, but I am still puzzled beyond belief how true this movie was. I'd even say a truer film about the topic has never been made. Maybe except for "Love actually", but that one leaves out the ugly truths and sticks to the happy side. Closer dares to get dirty and deserves all the praise for it. My work of reference for the genre or relationship dramas.
November 16, 2009
I don't think you can watch a more epic drama about love. This brought up the subject of true love and questioned it to the up most. The characters were all such flawed tragedies, but manage to realize what it takes to truly be happy. I don't think there was a bad performance in this movie, everyone came off as believable and that made the movie all the more powerful.
October 21, 2007
An incredibly acted stage piece concerning four people who can't make up their mind when it comes to companionship. Clive Owen gives the best performance out of the four, possessing a degree of dominance that is impressive. The dialogue fails this film at times, it goes overboard into quibbling, verbal battles that get to be a little testing after a while. The viewer, like the characters, might also get rather tired of the mind games on display as well. However, this is still a decent production, some of the dialogue is indeed impressive, and, as already mentioned, the acting all-around is very good.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ March 2, 2009
"If you believe in love at first sight, you never stop looking."

The relationships of two couples become complicated and deceitful when the man from one couple meets the woman of the other.

REVIEW
Mike Nichols' version of the play "Closer" is one of 2004s most engrossing films with its sharp dialogue and astonishing performances. Everything about this film cuts to the core of the viewer. We watch as two couples, both formed by chance meetings find themselves involved in adultery and manipulation. Each character claims to love their companion, but at the same point they are willing to use them for sexual gratification and deceit. The performances by Jude Law, Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman are sterling. However, the best comes from Clive Owen who delivers his dialogue with such ferocity that he strikes at the audience as well. You cannot help but be taken aback by how emotionally charged and powerful Owen's acting is?certainly worth his award for Best Supporting Actor at the Golden Globes and his Oscar nomination, as well.
½ February 28, 2007
It's absolutely brillant. It's sexually taunt, riveting, funny and electrifying. Powerful and extroadinary. Terrifically directed, expertly written and acted to superb perfection. A great, raw, magnificent and provoctative drama. A devilishly entertaining love story for adults thats almost pure perfection. Jude Law is brilliant, he gives the best performance of his career. Julia Roberts is sensational. Natalie Portman is excellent. Clive Owen is a powerhouse, a fantastic performance that I think is the best in the film. Each one of these actors strips their characters down to bare bones of emotions, each giving an incrediable performance.