Club Paradise Reviews

May 11, 2011
Funny cast, bad movie.
September 6, 2010
Yes, this movie has a ton of great stars, but what're they doing in this movie? Not much. The story is predictable and sometimes boring. Overall, it's just okay.
May 7, 2007
A couple of funny moments, but it's real hit or miss. I will however be adding "drug crazed nipple factory" to my vocabulary.
garyX
January 6, 2007
Another pointless Robin Williams vehicle that feels like an overlong and rather weak sitcom witha parade of uninteresting guest stars. Dull.
iLeo
February 22, 2008
Great!
March 19, 2013
A comedy with Rob Williams that is actually funny you say? Well this is a rare one for the ole Robin..But lets be fair and say that the colorful supporting cast helps makes this funny. Rick Moranis and Eugene Levy as the wannabe swingers are the highlight. It's one of those movies where I heard how bad it was growing up but actually like it.
½ May 24, 2010
Very hit and miss, with more misses than hits. Fans of Robin Williams will likely enjoy it more than most, it has a lot of his wacky brand of humor. It?s not a complete loss, it does have a great cast including Peter O?Toole, Twiggy, Rick Moranis and Eugene Levy. Too bad it wasn?t funnier and written better.
June 4, 2008
This movie has a good cast (Robin Williams, Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy) but the movie itself isn't that great. There were a few funny/interesting parts, but not enough to save the film.
½ June 21, 2007
Like many of Robin Williams early to mid 1980s movies, this was billed as a comedy, but turned into nothing more than a bad attempt at drama.
½ April 10, 2007
A good comedy film about a man who turns a small island into a resort. Robin Williams stars in the big casted film from 1986,
July 2, 2006
Oh my goodness this is the best stay at home on a bad day with the covers pulled up to your chin movie ever... it will cheer any Robin Williams fan up!
June 15, 2015
with all the talent involved should've been a lot better and funnier, still slightly watchable for the cast.
September 23, 2014
lazy rubbish from a director whos better than this,enough jimmy cliff songs to make you want to kill yourself (or Jimmy Cliff)
August 20, 2014
CLUB PARADISE, while having a promising premise, is a largely disappointing misfire. Even Robin Williams seems to be a bit bored, and is clearly not at his best here. Granted, there is a great ensemble cast, but none of them are given a whole lot to do and, save Robin Williams, are underdeveloped. Still, I'll give credit where credit is due. The film does start off rather well, with Robin Williams' character Jack Moniker retiring from the Chicago Fire Department on a disability settlement and heading off to St. Nicholas, a tropical island. There, he settles in and gets involved with a local businessman/musician named Ernest Reed (Jimmy Cliff, who gives some excellent musical performances) who runs a resort called Club Paradise. These initial scenes were quite funny as it showed Jack getting used to his surroundings and later, dealing with the tourists who visit. Among those visitors are Eugene Levy and Rick Moranis, two losers who are trying to score with women and get high. These two comedians have been good elsewhere, but here their talents were wasted on one-dimensional characters that really weren't that funny. Well-meaning, maybe, but not funny. To add some conflict, the prime minister of the island is trying to drive Ernest out so that foreign investors can develop the land. In my opinion, the film really didn't need this as the cast was already large enough that they could have focused on something else besides island politics. Also in the mix is Peter O'Toole as the local British governor. Even though his role wasn't too substantial, I did like him in the several scenes he was in. He and Robin Williams even get to play off each other a little bit. However, if there's one major flaw in the movie it's that it tries to do too much in its finale. Instead of wrapping up the various subplots that were percolating over the run time, they opt instead for something more ridiculous, i.e., a "revolution." By doing that, they really gave short shrift to the great cast of characters they had been following previously. The film's humor was also rather dated, but I can live with that. On the good side of things, the best element outside of Robin Williams and Peter O'Toole was the music, consisting almost exclusively of reggae. Overall, while the film is a nice 80's time capsule it's quite forgettable and I wouldn't consider it essential viewing for Robin Williams fans.
½ August 12, 2014
This film is an example of bad comedy writing, and lame humor. The acting make this film passable, but one can see the jokes coming a mile away. Do something more productive with your time. It's not a stinker, but avoid it.
December 17, 2013
This is a very funny film with an outstanding sound track featuring Jimmy Cliff and the Blue Riddim Band. The political humor got past most of the audience. Peter O'Toole was brilliant! The duo of Rick Moranis and Barry Steinberg on their 'Dreadlock Holiday' was hilarious. Highly recommended!
September 4, 2013
Funny movie, but I like it more for the supporting characters, as opposed to Robin Williams. He's good, but Rick Moranis and Eugene Levy take the cake!
July 22, 2013
Great music and a solid cast makes for a good laugh.
½ January 18, 2013
i loved watching this movie, it even made me think about quitting my job. if it had been longer than 96 minutes i would have given it 5 stars.
September 29, 2012
Such a fun, feel good movie.