Coach of the Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coach of the Year Reviews

March 7, 2011
A hilarious (but not intended that way) after school special of a movie.
½ May 17, 2010
Melodramatic television made rubbish. It means well, but it is poorly constructed, overacted and it just doesn?t ring true. The direction is sloppy and poor, and the film drags on and on. Not once was I convinced by any of it.
½ May 17, 2010
38/100. Melodramatic television made rubbish. It means well, but it is poorly constructed, overacted and it just doesn't ring true. The direction is sloppy and poor, and the film drags on and on. Not once was I convinced by any of it.
October 24, 2009
A sports film about a coach who takes on a job at a correctional facility. He has a nephew there as well and he tries to earn the respect of the inmates. Of course it all works out in the end but the fact is it is not a bad movie and it makes a believable story. The film isn't flashy but more of a drama and I remember just getting it because the VHS cover looked fake. It was because that is not the guy. It looks like some person got together a bunch of people and a guy in a wheelchair. I decided to watch it again and got the DVD off Netflix. Wow beside the DVD having some random jumpy moments it has one of the most random special features I have seen. First off a DVD dictionary of all the keywords about film. An 8 minute cartoon featuring Casper. And a Movie Trivia question that says you are a smart person and/or that you have too much time on your hand. Anyway besides the DVD stuff which has nothing to do with the actual movie I still think it is a good movie and Robert Conrad does a good job as the coach.
November 9, 2004
I was doing through the $1 DVD bin and saw a football movie so I bought it! This 1980 made for TV movie is about a former Chicago Bears player named Jim Branden (played by Robert Conrad) player who was paralyzed in the Vietnam War and now wants to coach. The Bears won't give him a coaching job so he ends up coaching a team at a juvenille correctional school, where his nephew resides. The kids there have horrible attitudes at first and lose their first game, which is against an exquisite private school. But Branden eventually wins the respect of his players, who unify around him and work hard to win the rematch. I find the movie to be a little too predictable down the stretch but it's a decent light drama and worth the dollar. As a nice bonus, Mike Post contributes some good music.
March 7, 2011
A hilarious (but not intended that way) after school special of a movie.
October 24, 2009
½ June 28, 2009
This is a great inspirational movie, great performance by Robert Conrad too.
½ April 21, 2009
Akbout three mildly amusing jokes and an El Camino load of bad acting. Robert Conrad almost dares me to knock a batter off his shoulder but instead gives me the cold shoulder. A lamely constructed prison-sports movie. erin Gray was kinda hot though.
November 9, 2004