Cocoon Reviews

November 2, 2012
I'm really surprised this isn't as well known as other, similar films like Close Encounters, as this is a cutesy and heart warming story of not only growing up, but growing old. A great cast that carries the piece very well and makes you want to run up and hug them. To top it off, it has an amazing and satisfying end.
October 27, 2012
Cute.
June 14, 2006
This 1980s sci-fi comedy doesn't really try to make you think it could be about a deadly alien invasion or serious threats to our old-timer protagonists. It is just trying to have a good time with the idea of a few elderly people feeling young again thanks to the cocoons retrieved from the bottom of the sea and stored in a pool. Of course things get exciting anyway, as the keepers of the cocoons are trying to take them home into space. It is still a feel-good movie through and through. In its best moments it oozes the same kind of movie magic that made the Spielberg films of the era so special. In its less outstanding scenes, the film drags on a little and some parts just didn't age that well. That doesn't change the fact that it is fun to witness the charming cast's adventure even after all those years.
CloudStrife84
May 6, 2007
Magical and underrated, this wonderful sci-fi story still gives me goosebumps. I know many don't love it as much as I do, but there's just something about it that has me captivated every time. One thing is the amazing music score, which some of you may note has been re-employed in the trailers for J.J Abrams' Super 8. Another is the cast, who are all very endearing in the characters they portray. Finally, I'd also like to give credit to the special effects team, who really did the best job possible with the technology available at the time. The ending especially is quite spectacular. Not a film for everyone, but in my book it counts as one of the best "alien visitation" films ever made. A delightful, although bittersweet experience, that has truly stood the test of time.
September 6, 2010
Wait, a second...old people want to go to outer space why? I didn't get this movie at all.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 14, 2010
Ron Howard's worst film. This is suposed to be a great sci fi adventure, it's a sappy film thats over sentimental and tries too hard to be a good sci fi film. I thought it was boring, annoying, poorly written and poorly acted. The film is very boring, cheesy and over sentimental. This is a stupid film with definitely nothing going for it. Overrated garbage with very bad acting, and poor directing and scriptwriting. I couldn't believe that I wasted my time watching such a shitty film. Oh well the only thing I can do is warn potential viewers about this film, it's bad. Very overrated and boring, don't get sapped in by the good reviews. Save your 5$ rental money on something better. Luckily Howard redeemed himself with Backdraft and Appolo 13
movieguru12
March 2, 2008
Great sci-fi thriller, just absolutely loved it and wouldn't It be great if people could live forever? I just love it! :)
½ August 15, 2009
I remember going to Movie Gallery with my mom and seeing Cocoon on the shelves a few years ago. I asked her if it was good and she said no. There's a lot of movies that I really like that she hates. I read about it and I wanted to see it. When I did, I wondered why she didn't like it. It was about an alien family that kept mysterious eggs in a swimming pool while they stayed here on earth. Some old people found out after swimming in the pool while the eggs were in it, that it made them feel young again. All the actors did a great job acting young as did the wives who liked it at first but later got tired of their husbands wanting to go everywhere and do everything.
Some of the lines from the film were hilarious and it even had some suspense in parts. It kept me interested because I wanted to see if the old guys got caught in the pool after promising the aliens they wouldn't get anywhere near them and to see how the movie ended. The ending sequence had some great special effects; especially for a film that came out in the mid 80's.

If you like comedy movies with a touch of sci-fi or if you like laughing at all, I definitely recommend getting this movie. In my opinion, it's a classic. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. This is indeed an excellent movie, and one future generations should always be exposed to - unforgettable.
May 6, 2007
Old Floridians find a fountain of eternal youth created by aliens in an 80s family sci-fi classic.
August 3, 2006
Not what I was expecting at all, a bit of a feel good sort of film, with some funny parts, likeable and easy watching.
thmtsang
September 1, 2007
A group of seniors from a rest home get a new lease of life after swimming and meeting aliens. Good cast.
sanjurosamurai
January 18, 2007
classic, old people wanting to be young people wanting to be aliens, or something like that
garyX
February 24, 2007
Anything starring Steve Guttenberg HAS to be a winner...erm...well, the wrinklies completely steal the show, and it's an efficiently contrived and likeable enough anti-ageist comedy. Despite Steve.
deano
½ March 13, 2007
A bunch of wrinklies discover an alien fountain of youth. Despite the appearance of some of the finest mature actors around, this is sub-standard sci-fi with great special effects and very few laughs.
January 8, 2007
Bought into the hype and was left very dissapointed.
½ December 28, 2006
I like the cocoon flicks.
August 6, 2007
80's classic.
½ April 11, 2007
Cocoon is not a DRAMA. It is Science-Fiction. It doesn't make the bold sense of acting like unfortunetly. Cocoon, However is still a deeply moving, as well as "Howard" intended to make it, despite all of these flaws. Most people will dislke, or displeased by it's viewer aimage, which would seem to be the older community, and possibly the femal sex. I also however really enjoyed this Science-Fiction fantasy Hoopla, I also In which Do not care If you did not.
June 14, 2011
A film from my childhood that I can still enjoy today. Surprising that I enjoyed this so much as a child as it mostly deals with the older generation but I think the fact that it had nice aliens helped. Also anyone who's had loving grandparents will be able to relate to the story of mortality and I dare you not to get a lump in your throat when Rose dies or the couples have to make choice about staying or going. It's also beautifully acted by Ameche, Cronyn, Brimley, Tandy et al. A lovely film. The sequel didn't quite recreate the magic and pretty much told the same story but the cast were still great.
toejambaseball24
½ March 21, 2010
Cute old people + a hot alien girl = good times at the movies