Code of Silence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Code of Silence Reviews

kpn666
½ September 18, 2010
Before Nico:Above the Law, Under Siege and the Fugitive, Andrew Davis got his start with Chuck Norris in his hey-day with Code of Silence, a Chicago gangster/cop flick with more than passing semblance to Seagal's Nico.

Chuck play honest tough cop whoes having a terrible day, dealing with a possible conspiracy in his own unit to cover up a friendly fire incident, a new rookie under pressure, and two warring mob families ready to take the fight to the streets of Chicago, and noone is talking, and Chuck is pretty much on his own as the mobsters number against him, and his fellow police officers close their ranks around him to protect one of their corrupt own.

I guess Im drawn to this is because of Andrew Davis' down to earth raw film making infused with good old action and the 80's theme. Chicago comes alive again as it had with Nico, an above average plot played out okay, this is defintley an underrated 80's classic, the unloved grandaddy of cop thrillers which should deserve appropriate recognition.

With Chuck leading the way and supported by the usual bad guy in Henry Silva (Nico Above the Law) and the well known Dennis Farina, its a good old fashioned cop thriller with better one liners, a very funny moment of two idiots trying to stick up a "cop" bar and Chuck pretty much doing what he does best.

enjoy!
deano
½ October 8, 2006
One of Chuck Norris's better films. Fast, furious stuff which may well be implausible and formulaic, but is so well-handled you don't mind.
August 24, 2014
Considered by many fans and critics to be Chuck Norris' greatest star vehicle, Code of Silence demanded my viewing as an action junkie.

Though not the biggest fan of Chuck Norris films I know what I like to see, and Code of Silence failed to live up to the reasonably average level of expectations I had.
Code of Silence marks Chuck Norris' transition from being a martial arts star to a more typical 80's action hero. While he still maintains his ass kicking skills, the story around him fails to make use of them. Laid into the generic roots of countless action films of the 1980's and 1990's raging from Cobra (1986) to Out for Justice (1991), Code of Silence stands as one of the earlier examples of films to rely so heavily on such tropes. As a result, the film goes along a meandering path of crime based plot dynamics which fail to cry out for innovation. I wasn't expecting any sort of groundbreaking story, but I hoped that there would at least be a higher standard for storytelling for Code of Silence to be considered among Chuck Norris' best.
As a Chuck Norris vehicle, the generic contract promised by a film like Code of Silence where its star is seen grasping a weapon on the promotional material is that it will hopefully be a fun action vehicle. In actual fact, Code of Silence spends so much time fretting over a generic story which offers little creativity outside of its action scenes that occur between extensive periods of boring story-building. The minimal focus on action ends up betraying the expectations of viewers by fretting over characters and narrative even though the story is predictable and the characters are shallow archetypes. There is an abundance of different characters in the film with varying relevance, but as the film doesn't offer a brilliant story it is hardly an entertaining journey to keep up with it all. The one gimmick the film offers is the fact that for some reason, Chuck Norris is teamed up with a robotic counterpart this time. It doesn't make any kind of spectacular combo with him or introduce any special kind of science fiction combat, but the general existence of it in Code of Everything is so strange that it makes the film memorable. Yet at the same time, the ridiculous nature of this plot point contradicts the fact that the rest of Code of Silence is so obsessed with taking itself seriously. Perhaps Andrew Davis aspires for his film to be something more, but there are too much limitations imposed on him this time. That kind of ambition paid offer later in his career as he went onto helm the extensively successful Under Siege (1992) and Academy Award winning The Fugitive (1993), so perhaps Code of Silence is a step in the right direction for the filmmaker. But where his career would later go proves better than what he churns out with Code of Silence. His sense of good action makes sense of this film, but there is nothing special in terms of script. I guess he does what he can to make the best of the material and so his work is somewhat admirable in progressing him towards creating greater productions, so there is mild value in his role as the director.
Among them are his work in ensuring there is a modicum of stylish value on Code of Silence. As far as Chuck Norris vehicles go there are certainly strong production values behind Code of Silence since the overall visual quality of the film in terms of cinematography transcends the standard set by the countless B-movies that Chuck Norris has gained a legacy for. Rather than sit in a singular place and just wait for everything to happen, the cinematography in Code of Silence makes an effort to follow along with everything as it occurs to capture it with strong detail, and this works to intensify things some of the time. It's a slight improvement over lesser Chuck Norris ventures, but slight enough to improve the overall experience.
And of course, the action scenes are the best moments in the film. Captured with effective cinematography and edited timely, the action in Code of Silence varies between predominantly a series of shootouts and some occasional hand to hand combat. In the case of the latter the fight scenes have the same repetitive sound bytes being used again and again whenever the attacks land contact, but Chuck Norris' talent for all kinds of creative kicks and punches transcends that with pure visual gusto. And in the case of the former, the man has no problem grasping a weapon. There are few other cast members who make the same kind of action impact, but as a Chuck Norris vehicle there is not too much of a problem with this most of the time. But then again, it would be good if he got to fight a valiant foe rather than the same basic criminal stock characters again and again. When I think back to Code of Silence I struggle to remember a single point in time where Chuck Norris actually said anything. But then again, his line delivery is rarely part of his gimmick. In Code of Silence it is mostly about him parading around in a leather jacket with intense facial expressions before jumping in on the action. He keeps the appearance of a badass and delivers the goods during any action scenes which means that he at least lives up to the standards viewers are likely to have for him, even if the filmmakers fail to do the same for his skills. He manages to keep himself in the appropriate state of mind for the character consistently and is swift with his energy, so he headlines Code of Silence with enough skill to make it mildly memorable.

So Code of Silence brings in an intense performance from Chuck Norris and some entertaining moments of action, but both are spread out too sporadically over the course of a story which takes itself way too seriously despite relying on formulaic writing and uninteresting characters.
April 1, 2010
Thursday, April 1, 2010

(1985) Code of Silence
ACTION

My favorite Chuck Norris film so far, I'm assuming that it was between this film and "Lonewolf McQuade" that motivated studios to give him his own syndicated tv show called "Walker, Texas Ranger". This is the Chuck Norris equivalent version of "Dirty Harry" and "Bullitt", a cop who will not conform to certain rules or practices that don't agree with the overall majority. It is extremely fast pace, whereas at the beginning opens with a drug bust gone wrong, where several undercover policeman are involved eventually leading up to something more dangerous involving drug cartels. The reason this film works is the build up to the action sequences and that they looked realistically real. Some of the highlights include a car chase scene underneath a bridge, martial arts, ending it off with a long gun sequence in a warehouse, that was echoed again for the 1987 film called "RoboCop"!!

This film also has alot of subtle social commentaries as well which were used for Paul Verhoeven's RoboCop like the problem with allowing technology to replace our 'law enforcers', and police officers who should be on retirement. Because it was made during the 80's what this film also has is realism, in which no CGI had ever been used but with some camera trickery and camera angles.

This is also my favorite Andrew Davis film who's filmography is most consistent with the action film genre. Seeing this film multiple times, I can never get tired of this kind of genre!!

4/4
April 14, 2015
Code of Silence is a decent film. It is about a Chicago cop who is caught in the middle of a gang war. Chuck Norris and Henry Silva give good performances. The screenplay has plenty of action but sometimes a little slow in places. Andrew Davis did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the action.
½ March 24, 2015
Here is where the "just run it again" crap started from Norris.
March 18, 2015
Chuck Norris' best film
½ January 1, 2015
One of my favorite Chuck Norris's movies.
June 14, 2011
The best straightforward action flick Norris ever made. Andrew Davis specialized in this type of Chicago cop/crime action film, and this fits nicely with "Above the Law" (a great film if only Seagal wasn't in it) and "The Fugitive". Norris's understated screen persona works well in the maverick cop genre. It's always a pleasure to see Henry Silva.

"When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you."
May 15, 2014
(58%)
With a solid director at the helm this is maybe Chuck's best movie, or at the very least one of his best. Although the plot really doesn't know if it wants to be a police whistle blowing movie on a bent cop, or a organised crime "Untouchables" type of flick, and in the end it tries to do both, which overall makes for a quite cluttered action film. It's entertaining, and well put together enough for a decent watch, but don't expect it to last too long in the memory as I've seen it about 3 times now and each time it's felt like I'm watching something different, which is fine in something complex or layered, but not so much in an 1980's mid-budget Chuck Norris movie.
½ September 6, 2013
Another kick butt 80s flick featuring Chuck Norris as Eddie Cusak, who's a cop that obeys the law and does things by the book, but not so much his police department. Norris knocks out the tough and kicks out the baddies in this film. Another great Chuck Norris film.
March 7, 2013
Along side Lone wolf mcquade this is easily the best Chuck Norris film to date.
February 17, 2013
Typical 80s movie. Loads of cliches, bad hair and worse music. What's not to love?!
November 28, 2012
The final showdown that climaxes the film pits Chuck's cool, calm and collective demeanor against Henry Silva's evil drug posse - you just can't make this stuff up people...Code of Silence isn't terrible, just really dull.
November 10, 2012
Still to this day, I think one of his best pieces of work. An absolute 80's classic.
October 2, 2008
CODE OF SILENCE (1985)
½ June 10, 2011
3.5/4

My 200th review, and it rated higher than my 100th. Now, I liked this movie for two reasons. One, the story is purty good, and two, its a Chuck Norris movie. It dosent have to be smart. But its over the top entertaining fun.
March 9, 2011
Chuck at his finest. So bad, it's good.
½ July 23, 2010
An action movie with Chuck Norris in it, never. This movie is so unintentionally funny in some areas of this film that I don't know how anyone could do it. The acting is poor at best, there are so many long silence parts in between conversations (they didn't have to take the title seriously), the writing is crap and the plot is boring. Never seen so many beards and moustaches in a movie and there are some scenes that are not even needed. Only credit I can give is the action scenes are decent, a nice little car chase and Norris actually gets his ass kicked.
March 18, 2010
This movie is boring, slow paced, poorly written and has a huge lack of action scenes. The only good part in this flick is the fight scene towards the end of it. 2.5/10