C.O.G. Reviews

½ December 16, 2014
The awful score is so off-putting and the film unapologetically ambiguous about its intentions (which are never made exactly clear), as though just to place Groff's character from HBO TV series Looking - cocky, awkward and easily intimidated - in this sort of situation and not go anywhere from there.
September 1, 2013
I really like Groff's, O'Hare's, and Stoll's performances as well as the film's consistent pitch black tone, I just wish that the ending wasn't so abrupt.
½ September 11, 2013
It's hard to approach a film like C.O.G. in an unbiased manner when you're a David Sedaris fan. Actually, scratch that, it's entirely impossible. When the film uses dialog straight out of the short story repeatedly--especially the wittiest and most moving sections--it honestly feels like reliving the story. This creates both positive and negative aspects for C.O.G. It's absolutely brilliant being able to put a face to the names, the dialog, the series of events, and experience the story as a film. Fans will adore it, because it's fairly impossible not to if you've read Naked. However, therein lies the downfall of C.O.G. It feels like a film that exists solely for fans who have read the story. You know exactly what's going through David's mind in certain sections of the film and it becomes clear that a lot of it will go over the heads of movie-goers expecting a witty, indie comedy. C.O.G. travels more into the black dramedy genre more than anything, and even at that, it's hard to give it much recognition as a success as a film or an adaption. Yes, it's beautifully cinematic, fantastically entertaining, and Jonathan Groff is a wholly believe and incredibly likable David Sedaris. However, when adapting anything by a profoundly intellectual writer such as Sedaris, a film is always going to pale in comparison.
May 17, 2015
David and all the characters that came his way were all pretty intriguing, and that was enough to make C.O.G. worth the watch until the end. The ending was also surprising as I didn't saw it coming and there couldn't be a better one. This film also reminded me of the short story "A Good Man is Hard to Find" though it isn't connected to the film in any way.
½ August 14, 2013
I really loved the performances by Jon Groff and Denis O'Hare. But I didnt care much for the script at times. I didnt find the beginning that believable. Here's David on the bus from Hell. Everyone who happens to sit next to him is crazy. You might get one person like that, but not like 4 people in a row.

The film had its moments. I certainly teared up when David was almost raped. I even teared up at the end when he got kicked out of Jon's truck. But for the most part, I just didnt care for the script.
January 19, 2014
Adaptation of David Sedaris' work. Some humorous moments, some sad and very frustrating. You want to shake him for naively sticking around in bad situations too long. Likable lead actor, plays a young, educated, hip gay man who is easy to feel sympathy for.
½ September 22, 2013
I absolutely love David Sedaris' stories, but the intricate comedy and dry wit of his tales didn't transfer onto the screen. It also doesn't help that I didn't know what C.O.G was and they never explained, leading me to Google the thing. It was a "meh" movie. Take it or leave it.
November 5, 2013
C.O.G. is surprisingly the very first film adaptation based upon any of the works of David Sedaris, an American humorist/writer/radio contributor who has also written the screenplay and adapted his own story to the screen. The film is based on a semi-autobiographical short story found in Sedaris' book of essays entitled "Naked" which chronicled the author's young life growing up in Raleigh, North Carolina through his drunken years at college. Jonathan Groff (The Conspirator, 'Glee') plays Samuel, a fresh-out-of-college Ivy Leaguer who is trying to gain new life experiences by stepping out of a very comfortable shell he has found himself in because of a privileged childhood. Samuel has taken a bus to Oregon where he gains employment on an apple farm ran by a man called Hobbs (Dean Stockwell - Air Force One, Blue Velvet). Out of his element, his mannerisms and intellect and way of speaking draws both ire and laughs from his co-workers who do not know what to make of him. He makes some friends at work (Corey Stoll - Midnight in Paris) while another man in town preaching the word of God on the street (Denis O'Hare - 'American Horror Story') tries to win him over with kindness and a helpful hand. Trying to find a place in the world where he fits in (as he tries to desperately escape something from his past), Samuel reluctantly becomes involved in a local church where he begins to find purpose and understanding. In C.O.G., not everyone is what they seem and Samuel learns all of this as his life plays out. I'm sure some will walk away insulted from this film if they look at it through blinders not realizing the film is about individuals and not groups of people. While Samuel is uncertain whether or not he wants to become a C.O.G., he is a cog in the machine of life. The acting here is quite good and Groff plays his role well. There is quite a bit of dark humor here and there (true Sedaris) but it does end in pathos as it asks for understanding, compassion and sympathy for most involved. Perhaps I ended up liking this as much as I did because I expected nothing from it. I found it to be a rather rewarding watch ... but it will be something different to every viewer.
May 17, 2015
December 29, 2014
Hopefully other David Sedaris stories will translate better into film than this one did, but still a LGBT story worth watching. CDW
½ December 9, 2014
Just flat out one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And not because it's deceptively about a young gay man's coming of age. Mostly the lack of a plot/storyline. It's like they filmed it all, and then forgot what order the scenes were supposed to be in, so the director just guessed.
October 8, 2014
Good timeline and develop of characters, but ending wasn't good in my opinion.
August 4, 2014
Just about all of these David Sedaris' characters speak the same crude dialog, unlike all of Chekhov's characters. Each Chekhov character has a separate personality.
August 3, 2014
thought provoking and unpredictable. the main character is not very endearing.
April 7, 2014
You know that special part of the story that ties up everything at the end and ensures the audience that there's more to come, or that there's nothing more to say? Let's see you try walking out of this and not feeling cheated, because it seems to me that the last ten or so pages of the script probably never existed.
½ March 29, 2014
March 27, 2014
Interesting film with a crooked but lovely tone. The dark satirical humor was spot-on.
½ January 2, 2014
Looks like an unfinished product that wasted a good potential. There are lots of half-explored themes, and dubious meanings. The movie got my interest at first, then bored me a little, and a disappointing finale ratifies it's negative verdict.