Cold Weather Reviews

September 9, 2012
So laid back it almost seems merely like a slice of real life ... until a mysterious disappearance in Portland jars an ex- forensics student out of his self- induced doldrums and onto the case. The result is a heightened suspense factor in this clever slacker take on the film noir detective genre that's difference makes for a matter of taste.
LWOODS04
½ March 17, 2011
Cast: Cris Lankenau, Raśl Castillo, Robyn Rikoon, Trieste Kelly Dunn, Jeb Pearson, Brendan McFadden, Ben Stambler, Katy Rothert, Paul Rothert, Jerry Moyer

Director:Aaron Katz

Summary: After things go south for former forensic science major Doug (Cris Lankenau), he leaves Chicago and returns home to Oregon to live with his sister, Gail (Trieste Kelly Dunn) -- and soon finds himself entangled in an unexpected situation that calls on his investigative mind. Together with Gail and his friend Carlos, Doug uses his forensic skills and the techniques he's learned as a detective fiction enthusiast to unravel the mystery he encounters.

MyThoughts: "The movie is a bit slow and doesn't give a lot of background on the character's, but I still found the story interesting and the character's to be likeable.The film is an independent mystery with the concept being the likes of Sherlock Holmes. It's a simple film. No blood or guts. But enjoyable none the less. I found it to be funny too. It's one of those films where you feel like you've been dropped into the middle of these peoples lives. No build up, no back story, just the here and now of what's happening. Not a bad film to watch on a long day."
maxthesax
½ January 24, 2012
Sometimes when you are viewing a film, it seems like you are a fly on the wall, witnessing the events as they naturally occur. This can be a definite plus, as it shows how seamlessly actors can suspend the wall between the screen and the viewer, but it can also be a deterrent, as in the case of Cold Weather, the events are so natural and seem so mundane that instead of being real, it becomes almost surreal.

Fortunately for me, I had forgotten why I wanted to view this film, other than that Ebert had recommended it. So I had no preconceptions going in, other than the short synopsis that Direct TV gives its films ("a comedy/mystery" now there's a novel concept).

The beauty of this film is that, yes, there is a mystery - and I'm not going to say what it is - only that said mystery only begins to unfold half way through the films 100 minute run time. In the meantime you get to know the main characters, by witnessing how they go about their everyday lives. It's reality TV, only it's REAL, not some jumped up, look at me, BS, but actual, understated, this is my daily/weekly routine kind of stuff. Boring? Perhaps, and you keep wondering where the film is headed; but there's a point to it all - giving the film a very quirky tone that is yet another double edged sword - serving it well, but perhaps being too understated for its own good. It's hard to decide. As the film abruptly ended (literally) - I sat and thought for several minutes - yeah, it all worked, the tone, the fabulous "non-acting" of the actors... and yet does an Indie film have to scream Indie at the top of its lungs?

In all, the characters are all believable, just regular folks, and there are so many subtle moments where the film seems just right, that I found this a refreshing trip away from Hollywood - note the fact that there is a chase scene ... involving only one car! Said scene, and the setup behind it are perfect examples of "what would you do?" Probably the same things these "regular" folks did - and that's the beauty of it... although the film's abrupt end, while I understood it, left me wanting some kind of resolution - see, I'm brainwashed by Hollywood after all.
½ February 10, 2011
I won't address the story of Cold Weather in detail, because I think the less you know of it, the better. But if you do need story details in advance, I'm sure they're easily found in the movie synopsis or other reviews. I'd just like to cover a few points about why I liked it.

First of all, it's pretty awesome how Cold Weather mixes the everyday, mostly uneventful, almost boring lives of their characters with surprising levels of mystery and tension. It's not often the word "realistic" fits a film as aptly as it does this movie.

Second, I thought it ended much too quickly and abruptly, which is actually a partial compliment. For one, I wasn't ready for it to be over, and it ended in an unexpected and non-formulaic way.

Third, this was simply one of the freshest movie experiences I've had this year, and I expect that it will be even better upon subsequent viewings. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to is Winter's Bone. Not because the stories are similar, but because they center around realistic, un-stylized characters that make small, personal events seem more urgent and engrossing than the world-ending, massively bombastic plots of some much bigger films.

With that said, I definitely think the audience for Cold Weather is more narrow than broad. It's by no means a perfect movie. The plot relies on coincidence after coincidence, and that may be hard for some to swallow. It's also a slow-burner throughout, and that may bore some people. Slow-paced doesn't necessarily mean boring or bad in my opinion, though, so I don't hesitate in giving Cold Weather my approval.
Harlequin68
½ March 14, 2011
In "Cold Weather," Doug(Chris Lankenau) is in something of a rut, having given up on his studies of forensic science, and moved back to Portland, Oregon to live with his sister Gail(Trieste Kelly Dunn). That has not stopped his general enthusiasm as he persuades her to take a day off from work to go whale watching. That energy comes in handy at his new job working nights at an ice factory where he befriends Carlos(Raul Castillo) who he invities over when Doug's ex-girlfriend Rachel(Robyn Rikoon) comes to town.

"Cold Weather" is an engagingly offbeat movie about how disappointments in life can weigh us down. So to escape the drudgery of work, we should play hooky every so often and have an adventure. That holds true especially for Doug who was inspired by Sherlock Holmes stories and Carlos who is a Star Trek fan.(What they forget to mention are the Next Generation episodes where Data dressed up like Sherlock Holmes. By the way, I totally agree that Gul Dukat was a really cool character. And, no, I have no idea why I am referencing Star Trek since I'm not really a fan and I promise not to do so in my next review.) In fact, I'll bet Doug bailed on forensic science when he found out how really dull it is.(I thought CSI would get referenced sooner or later, for that same reason.) So, while the movie makes great use of Portland locations, it does end suddenly, after a climax of almost unbearable suspense. I'm not so much interested in the resolution of the mystery, as after getting to know these characters so well, it seems a shame to leave them like that.
½ October 28, 2012
Aaron Katz's mumblecore effort "Cold Weather" surprisingly isn't as unlikeable as other films of the subgenre are. The elements are all here - sophomoric acting, realistic dialogue and attention paid to characters rather than plot - but something about "Cold Weather" makes it a little bit more interesting than you would expect. I guess that the answer lies in Aaron Katz's charming, low-key direction. And even though the central mystery is never fully explained, "Cold Weather" is well-shot, well-edited and endearing, and the characters are relatively intriguing.
May 17, 2012
this was one of those movies i knew nothing about and after watching i'm still not sure what it's about it starts out as this indie dramedy then it morphs in2 this mystery that never really gets explained
January 20, 2012
Between this and Bellflower I'm actually coming to enjoy the mumblecore movement. It's fun seeing the different ways it can be applied to various genres (in this case mystery/gumshoe films). My only complaint with Cold Weather (and the only reason I didn't give it a higher score) is the sudden ending.
½ September 27, 2011
Take a young independent film crew, tell them to film a real life mystery set in Portland (the independent capitol of the world), put some charismatic young actors in front of the camera with a budget of say, $1,000, miraculously have this formula work out *perfectly* and you get Cold Weather. Funny, suspenseful & good looking.
April 18, 2015
Good premise presented too slowly.
February 10, 2014
A sauntering love letter to Portland, Oregon. It's quite good.
September 13, 2013
Interesting fizzler that dies at the end. Well put-together, but drifts all over the place from midpoint on.
February 4, 2011
It's basically a whole hour-and-a-half of nothing, but that's the point.
June 26, 2013
How the hell did this movie get such a high score? It's a slice of life that goes no where! it was exactly what you'd expect form a pretentious hipster movie about nothing of substance. there's a lack of continuity and just plain leaves you wondering wtf just happened and what exactly is happening? lame and disappointing.
½ March 21, 2013
A mystery/action movie that is totally believable. Like, it could happen. Totally.
January 13, 2013
Slowest, dullest, stupidest excuse for a mystery that I've ever seen. How anyone can find everyday dull conversation dragged out ad nauseous and people driving around in cars as interesting character development is beyond me. In a 1 hour 45 minute movie to spend 30 minutes before the plot even starts to develop characters who have no character is just stupid. The most boring movie I've I've ever seen.
May 26, 2012
Took a good while to get going and just when it was starting to evolve into a decent noir flick it ended
½ November 29, 2012
Wow, I was really impressed with this movie. Cold Weather is so charming that before you really realize there's going to be a plot, you're already pulled in and invested in the characters. I keep hearing this described as a mumblecore movie but I just don't believe it, it looks way too good. The acting was great too. Such an endearing film.
½ November 24, 2012
This was one of my first "mumblecore film" experiences and I think it would make a decent introduction for those unfamiliar with this trend in indie filmmaking. Those with a decent sense of humor and a nose for subtlety will find this movie hilarious. Relying on character development and a clever script before thickening the plot director Aaron Katz crafts a minimal and beautiful near-masterpiece. You've never seen a crime-drama-comedy like this one. His characters are earnest and likable yet realistic as they break from their too-normal lives to eventually live up to their full potential by attempting to solve an unraveling mystery. Like most in the genre this is a feel good movie. If you have a heart. If you don't have a heart I don't know what to tell you. I guess you'll be bored.
½ October 28, 2012