Come Back, Little Sheba - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Come Back, Little Sheba Reviews

jjnxn
October 6, 2007
Shirley Booth gives a beautiful performance in this heart breaker, Burt Lancaster is also very fine in a portrait of a sad dance of need and devotion.
November 25, 2007
Burt Lancaster disappoints me sometimes but not here. Very similar in theme to Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf but this one is memorable in its own right.
March 9, 2015
I am perplexed that so many Flixster reviewers misunderstand this movie. It's about coming to terms with disappointment and making life worthwhile. Not just Lola (Shirley Booth's character) but all the film's principals are forced to face up to an emotional crisis, move past it, and get on with their lives. Of course the power of a movie is determined by how compellingly it tells a story. The story here is well worth the telling, and it is well told.
August 20, 2009
A bleak film, but extremely well written and very moving. Shirley Booth gives a tour-de-force performance and even outshines Burt Lancaster. She deservedly won an Oscar. Well directed, good photography.
October 27, 2008
a greatly underrated movie that just pulls the strings of your heart. shirley booth's performance as lola, is beautiful in every since she just caotures your heart and soul,nothing about her is unlikeable
November 29, 2007
There are people on IMDB who are blaming Doc's alcoholism on the fact that his wife never prepares him a hot lunch and doesn't do enough housework. This, to me, shows a clear lack of understanding of the disease of alcoholism. I'm also kind of irked by the person who refers to this as a "period piece" in their review. Since it was filmed in approximately the same time as it was set, it is assuredly not a period piece.

Doc is an alcoholic. His wife is a whiner. They've got a boarder who's being led astray by one of the men at her college. It's all very sordid. The "Little Sheba" of the title is Lola's--that's Doc's wife's--dog, who's been missing since before the movie started and who never comes back. I spent large amounts of the movie expecting it to turn out that Doc had killed it in a drunken fit, but no such luck.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure what drives Doc to his final binge. Maybe it's the idea that Marie--the boarder--may live a better life than his. Maybe it's the thought that she won't. Or maybe it was just time; maybe he just couldn't hold back any longer. But he seems not to have done anything too bad until he got home.

Honestly, I don't really care about these people. Shirley Booth won an Academy Award for her performance here, and I can only assume that it was a bad year for actresses. (But I know that Maureen O'Hara wasn't even nominated for [i]The Quiet Man[/i] nor Grace Kelly for [i]High Noon[/i], and those were both better performances!) Terry Moore, who played Marie, was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, but she did [i]not[/i] win. Which is good; it isn't a particularly challenging performance. She spends a minute or two fighting off "Turk"--one hopes that isn't his real name--but that's about it. Burt Lancaster gives the best performance in the film, but of course he wasn't nominated for anything.

I'm not sure why I finished watching this. I've been watching some real turkeys, and this one is definitely in that category. It's a pointless, hopeless melodrama; even its moral is confused. I [i]think[/i] it's warning against the evils of drink, but it also seems to be warning against the evils of having ever been young and pretty and then being neither. And while it's possible to avoid it, it's not necessarily a solution that most people want to take.
March 14, 2005
August 15, 2004
[b]Come Back, Little Seeba (1952) [/b]
Tawdry tale of alcoholism and how a marriage of necessity doesn't make for a happily-ever-after ending. Burt Lancaster turns in a pretty good performance as a recovering alcoholic who is tightly controlled until he goes inexplicably and dramatically out of control on a drinking binge. Shirley Booth won an Oscar playing his whining wife, an annoying but sad character. They are two mismatched, unhappy people who stick together because they have no one else. Rather depressing and not particularly well-written.
March 9, 2015
December 3, 2014
My best and favorite movie
I love it...!!! Never tire of watching
this beautifull heart felt movie.
5 star rating.
June 26, 2014
super creepy film...i need a shower after this.
April 18, 2014
Nothing explodes, no one gets killed and there is no trace of CGI. All we have is a very beautiful story, beautifully played. Shirley Booth's portrayal of Lola Delaney is the kind of performance you savour every line of. The 15 minute mark, where little Sheba is first mentioned is so sad you'll carry the dialogue with you forever. Shirley won a well deserved Oscar for this fantastic performance, and it isn't hard to see why.
January 26, 2014
Perhaps the most moralistic movie I've ever seen. Lancaster is too far away from his tough guy image for it to be worth a watch.
November 2, 2013
one of the best of several fifties booze obcessed melodramas like 'The Wet Parade"
November 19, 2012
I was sort of dissapointed. Burt Lancaster was miscasted in this. And Shirley Booth, well, she does give us a human and honest performance, but when I go to watch an "Academy award winning performance" I expect more. Much more.
½ November 29, 2011
Drama familiar sobre um alco√¬≥lico em recupera√¬ß√¬£o vale sobretudo pelo papel fenomenal de Burt Lancaster, que merece a lenda que tem muito √¬† custa de desempenhos como este. Aquilo que parece ser uma hist√¬≥ria simples vai ganhando contornos mais interessantes √¬† medida que o universo do casal √ (C) invadido por uma jovem e por algumas quest√¬Ķes bastante complexas. Mas foi mesmo a conten√¬ß√¬£o e a transforma√¬ß√¬£o de Burt Lancaster que me agarrou ao filme.
February 21, 2011
Shirley Booth delivers a knock-out performance as Lola, the loyal but chatty and overweight middle-aged wife of former alcoholic Doc (Burt Lancaster). They just let a room to a beautiful college student Marie (Terry Moore) who attracts the attention of the horny star athelete Turk (Richard Jaekel). Doc sees Turk as being no good for Marie, but being attracted to Marie himself, Doc finds himself frustrated at his old age. A very honest look at aging and how things turn out versus how we thought things would turn out. Wonderful story by playwright Inge with terrific performances.