Come Early Morning Reviews

November 19, 2008
I watched this while distracted, so I do intend to rewatch it, and my rating may change. Will review properly then.
Movie seemed good, but not quite what I expected.
Harlequin68
July 21, 2012
"Come Early Morning" starts with Lucy(Ashley Judd), a building contractor, taking the walk of shame but not so much that she insists on paying for the motel room. In talking to Doll(Candyce Hinkle), she finds out her dad(Scott Wilson) is back in town. Seeing a chance at reconciliation, she accompanies him to the new church he is attending. When that old time religion does not stick, Lucy is back to the old grind at the local honky tonk where she gets into a fight with a fellow patron that Cal(Jeffrey Donovan), who is new in town, helps to break up and then takes a liking to her.

Without much of a story to speak of, "Come Early Morning" has to rely on the charms of its rough hewn subjects to engage the audience with the study of a character who is haunted by the past mistakes of her family, leading her to act impulsively, sometimes without the help of alcohol. Wrapping that all up, the movie is perfunctory in its conclusions but thankfully not its resolution. In this case, I would have to say that the country music and the religion add regional flavor instead of acting as stereotypes. Regardless, the movie is helped by a good cast that also includes Diane Ladd, Stacy Keach and Ray McKinnon, of which Ashley Judd fares best in a thoroughly lived in performance.
June 17, 2013
Allegedly this is the ultimate art film of the country hillbilly woman. What it reminds us is that some lives are too boring to put on the screen even in the name of art.
½ November 2, 2010
This film manages to capture loneliness, pain and despair in a way that felt utterly real. It actually hurt me to watch, but ultimately it was catharctic. A brilliant performance by Judd and gratifiying to see her in role that is worthy of her talent.
Written and directed by Joey Lauren Adams, perhaps it takes women writing and directing the roles they wish to see for women, just completely fleshed-out characters which I know I crave to see.
MagnusMagica
May 11, 2009
"You got no say over your heart, Lucy. And If you think you do, you'd best not let yours roam too far."
A good, low-key drama written and directed by Joey Lauren Adams.
With some good acting by Ashley Judd, Scott Wilson, Jeffrey Donovan and Laura Prepon.
iLeo
April 19, 2007
This is definitely a great treat. An actual film directed by Joey Lauren Adams.

This is definitely something new for fans of Ashley Judd, and it's great seeing her branching out in the selection of movie roles.
poohtiger
½ March 29, 2007
A solid drama with Ashley Judd giving a standout performance. It will remind you of her other film Ruby in Paradise. In this one, she plays Lucy, a woman who drinks too much and sleeps with a lot of different guys. She also has family issues to deal with including her dad who doesn't want to see her. A really good and emotional film with an effective directing debut by actress Joey Lauren Adams. Don't pass on this one.
½ April 11, 2013
This is a quietly powerful film about small-town Southern living that avoids all the usual clichés and makes us feel as if we're dropping in on real lives in mid-stream.
½ June 8, 2011
Hate Seeing someone I really like play such a Pathetic Character, I'm sure the Script seemed promising.
July 23, 2008
This is an ok movie for a first and only time wtaching type deal. Ashly Judd plays a good role. Her Character you could tell has a real bad self esteem issue and you can see it has a lot to do with her father. Not something I will probably see again but not to terrible.
March 24, 2008
As weird as this seems...I can relate to her character. Not what I expected when I went to watch this one.
½ October 12, 2007
There's something captivating about Ashley Judd. Her performances are deep, easily engaging you to care about her character. This time Judd plays a Southern woman looking to turn her life around to walk the straight and narrow. It's good.
October 9, 2007
i like ashley judd but didn't care for this film could have been better....at the end i was like is that it lol
June 11, 2007
A great movie about dealing with your past to change your future. Outstanding performance by Ashley Judd, as always.
May 22, 2007
An hour and a half of Ashley Judd in tight jeans....Wow! I think there was a story and some dialogue in it too, but I can't really remember.
½ May 27, 2007
This movie was excellent! Ashley Judd played her role perfectly. If you or someone you know has a destructive dating pattern that involves one-night stands, then watch this and learn something from an outside perspective.
½ April 16, 2007
This is a movie that is difficult to watch just because she keeps making the same mistakes of her past and her father's past. She can't accept happiness in her life and ruins the one man who might actually be good for her. Worth a look.
March 31, 2007
great movie; ashley jodd does a fantastic job; a great directorial debut from joey lauren adams ("chasing amy"); the plot is not neatly wrapped up at the end, i really liked that. there was some confusion over who was who in her family, but it was a minor distraction. it also has the cute chick from "that 70s show" as her roommate.
½ March 30, 2007
Impressive performance by Judd, this was a quiet little flick, but it emoted really well. I liked it, if anything for just the scene where shes with whatshisname, and she is sober for the first time. I just felt her struggle. Well done!
March 25, 2007
Ashley Judd plays this role well as a woman who starts to change and grow a little late in life. Just goes to show it's never too late !