The Cookout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cookout Reviews

January 23, 2010
The laughs were lukewarm
½ December 14, 2011
"C'mon everyone, let's head to the cookout!" Though this is what movie producers hoped fans would do, you should definitely not run to see this film. Though the movie has its moments, these moments are brief and crammed between long periods of pointless dribble. The worst part of the movie is the message it sends. The entire movie is one giant cliche with tired and used jokes that only perpetuate racial stereotypes. For example, the main character, Todd Anderson (Quran Pender), is a college basketball phenom who becomes the first pick in the NBA draft. Afterwards he goes on a ridiculous spending spree, purchasing an enormous house, a brand new Hummer, and plenty of bling for his gold-digging fiance played by Meagan Good. And what else would a newly-rich African American do but have a cookout with all his relatives, including his redneck cousins, conspiracy theorist and lawyer wanabe uncle, and his obese, pot smoking nephews. Even his neighbors, played by Farrah Fawcett and Danny Glover, add to the stereotypes with their reaction to Todd moving into the neighborhood. At times, this film is just plain embarrassing to watch. Queen Latifah, who provides most of the humor as the psychotic rent-a-cop with delusions of grandeur, is the only reason the movie is even at all bearable. If ever you wondered why we still stereotype in the 21st century, look no further than this film. This movie is the decrepit man's version of "Barbershop".
June 13, 2010
the only reason I gave this a 20% rater than a 10 or a 0 is because the star basketball player was supposed to be a Rutgers graduate =/
September 13, 2009
I originally saw this because of Queen Latifah, but was intriqued to see Farrah Fawcett play Danny Glovers wife! A really funny movie with all the stereo types! Farrah's last big screen film.
½ August 21, 2009
The shittiest of the shit. Whoever believes this film to be high quality entertainment deserves to skinned alive while hung upside down by the genitals and forced to watch Eddie Murphy Raw.
August 19, 2009
this movie is funny as hell the critics are retarted when they say this movie isnt funny. They dont know comedy and as such should be fired.
½ May 16, 2008
i never heard of this till my friend brought it over..it was funny and alot of current known cast members..i laughed
November 8, 2007
Queen Latifa as always is a fantastic and funny actress! This is a good movie with its hilarious moments.
½ December 27, 2005
Not the world's greatest movie...but it had some laughs in it. Queen Latifah saved this movie. It would've fallen flat without her. I don't know why she took a part in this movie but she did. I just don't want to see it again and I'll be okay...Not one of the better movies I've seen so far in Christmas break but it was okay. The major failure of this movie was it's lack of a point! It was decent but in the end, my first thought was what the hell was the point of this movie? Eh...I've seen worse...*cough* Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen *cough* *cough* Boogeyman *cough*
February 24, 2005
Around the Bend- It was interesting road movie, that even running barely 80 min, never felt underdeveloped. Great performances by all three leads including Michael Caine who was only in it for the first 20 min or so. Great dimensional characters and relationships between all family members.

The Cookout- Offers little laughs in a underdeveloped story.

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War- If you are fan of Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, this is a must see. The action is great and more brutal than SPR. I found story very engaging unlike others. One of the best films of 2004.

Warriors of Heaven and Earth- Has almost a B-movie feel to it. I have seen this type of story done many times, but also a lot better.

In Praise of Love- I have seen only one other Godard (Contempt) and I wasn't a big fan of it. This movie will not make me into a Godard fan anytime soon. The movie feels disjointed and tries to be to smart. Godard is smart man, there is no denying it, but in this it seems to be smothering it in your face. Saying I am smarter than you. It takes an unnecessary and failing pot-shot at Steven Spielberg, Schindler's List, Hollywood. What also hurt this movie was that I found it extremely boring. I hated this movie.
February 18, 2005
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][color=yellowgreen]Well, Theresa decided to have a slumber party without asking me. I was tired. I wanted to sleep, not talk about what she did on her birthday (seeing as how she couldn't wait to do something until everyone could come). So we watched The Cookout. All I have to say is home-made slip n slide. yuck. [/color][/size][/font]
January 23, 2005
[size=4][color=#000000][size=3][/size][/color][/size]
[size=7][color=#000000] :rotten: the cookout :rotten: [/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][size=3][/size][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][size=3]stereotypes[/size] ,this movie has plenty of them ,i found this movie to be cuel and just racist ,this movie had penty of stars too such as queen l,danny glover ,eve ,and so on and so on ,this movie is about a family cookout and the family coming together and there random ploblems which is so overdone anymore i seen to many movies that are just the same but done better ,the family vaules that this movie gives off is ruined but all the race jokes and some are funny just but overall gets old fast this movie is pretty much a barbershop ripp off that just doesnt have what made barbershop great (smart writing )[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000]overall this movie is not worth anyones time or rental money ---2[/color][/size]
½ January 18, 2005
ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL, CLICHE RIDDEN COMEDY, INSULTING TO BOTH BLACKS AND WHITES, HOW COULD DANNY GLOVER AND FARRAH FAWCETT STOOP SO LOW?!! A WASTE OF MONEY, TALENT AND TIME.
½ August 20, 2012
Lame jokes and coonery abounds.
June 6, 2013
There are good movies and there are bad movies; and then there are really really bad movies. Of course I love good movies like everybody else. I also love really really bad movies such Plan 9 from Outer Space and Waterworld, which I find very entertaining - but for reasons having nothing to do with the producers' intentions, which is entertaining in itself. As far as The Cookout goes, my first impression as I began watching it was that it's just bad... ok a bunch of rich people who knew nothing about making movies got together to waste a bunch of money trying to make a movie. But here I am still watching it. So I guess I'm having a hard time deciding - Is it just another boring failure? - Or is it truly so bad that the spectacle of its awesome, multi-faceted badness is so immense and amazing that it completely blows your mind!? I'm not sure. Guess I'm going to watch it again and then I'll let you know.
June 25, 2012
I really wanted this movie to be good, but ya it's not.
June 24, 2012
saw it school last year, it wuz ok
½ March 18, 2012
This movie was stupid, retarded, ghetto, nonsense, and a waste of time.