Cotton Comes to Harlem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cotton Comes to Harlem Reviews

cosmo313
½ April 16, 2007
Although often considered a forerunner of "blaxploitation", I wouldn't disagree with you if you called this a full on blaxploitation film. Stylistically it doesn't fit, but it is an almost exclusively black cast, black crew, and deals with black themes, so therefore, it is related. However, this isn't some campy stereotypical film that more than likely hinders black progress instead of helps it.

Instead, this is a hilarious film that is many things: comedy, crime film, satire, and buddy picture. There is tons of humor here, and, while I wasn't laughing all the time, it is quite funny. Most of the humor is of the slapstick vartiety, but some of it comes from wordplay, visuals, and situations, which can sometimes be dry in natiure.

This is the story of two unconventional detectives who try to catch a man who is pushing a "back to Africa" trip. In reality, that man is a fake, a huxster, and the two detectives have to try to catch hi and show the world who he really iis.

It surprised me that Ossie Davis directed this, because I didn't expect this type of film from hi based on my knowledge of his latter day resume. This is a great film though, It is quite funny, and fillled with substance and subtext, It's not overly preachy, but it's pretty obvious that this film has a message and isn't devoid of something more meaningful.

This isn't a campy blaxploitation film. In watching it though, one can see that this represents a high water mark for black films made for black people by black people. The only thing it really exploits is stuff that black people want to see. The subject matter is funny, and a bit surreal, because really, who thinks of cotton when they think of Harlem? It's an integral part of the film however, so it is necessary.

No matter who you are, there is bound to be something in here for everyone. This is a great film, and a true lost classic. Bravo Ossie, bravo.
½ October 16, 2009
This is one of the funniest movies of the early 1970's. The story, the acting as well as the characters helped to make this a great film. In many ways this film was a preview of things to come due to the fact that the very next year with the premier of Shaft, the era of the "blaxploitation" film would begin. Also, you have to wonder if the team who created the Lethal Weapon series were somewhat inspired by this due to the fact that characters of Gravedigger and Coffin are somewhat reminiscent of Briggs and Murtaugh from that series. However, the thing that really made this fun was the brief appearance of Redd Foxx playing a character that was not dissimilar from the character that would earn him his biggest fame, Fred Sanford. This is definitely a lost classic.
½ January 24, 2008
It's no Coffy, but it's a lot of fun.
lesleyanorton
August 29, 2010
One of the very earliest blaxploitation films (1970), and not the best either (the books are better). S'ok.
½ February 8, 2015
That this film continues to attract an audience all these years later is not surprising. The story it tells is as relevant today as it was back in 1970 and today perhaps has the ability to reach a broader audience in a way, one that can see the levels of nuance and hypocrisy found in the plot.
½ June 26, 2014
Part preacher, part undertaker, and park God.

Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed Johnson are two black cops who patrol the streets as well as do the detective work in Harlem. A new reverend, Deke O'Malley, comes to town and makes everyone believe he has Jesus on his side and freedom in his words. The detectives track down some recent string of crimes and all signs point to the reverend being corrupt. Can the cops prove the reverend is the root of all evil and not a savior?

"I'm really sick of looking at you. You're really one ugly child."

Ossie Davis, director of Kongi's Harvest, Black Girl, Gordon's War, Cool Red, and Crown Dick, delivers Cotton comes to Harlem. The storyline for this picture is below average and a bit disappointing. This is a relaxed cop drama where everything is straightforward and fits together perfectly (with some funny scenes here and there). The acting is just okay and the cast includes Godfrey Cambridge, Calvin Lockhart, Redd Foxx, John Anderson, Eugene Roche, and Cleavon Little.

"Black people need hope like everyone else."

I grabbed this off Neflix recently because I am a fan of blaxploitation cinema. This was not one of the better films in the genre. I felt everything was too straightforward and the detectives were a bit cliché. There were some good lines; but overall, this is very average.

"Don't you step on my ribs!"

Grade: C
October 15, 2012
Thoroughly enjoyable detective tale that reaffirms my love for Godfrey Cambridge as he and Raymond St. Jacques investigate a shifty ghetto preacher. The film is great in that it easily establishes their reputation as figures in the community and feels like it could be the second or third film in a series rather than an initial outing, the characterization and storytelling is just that strong.

Great stuff, recommended.
½ November 22, 2011
It gets points for comedy and for being a forerunner to the many blaxploitation films to follow, but otherwise it's just silly.
½ October 23, 2010
Comedy comes to Harlem, this black crime comedy is not always obvious comedy. A back to Africa movement (historically there was indeed such a movement led by DuBois), urged black U.S. citizens to leave America and go back to Africa.

Let's start with some "recent" entertainment history.

First, lead actor Godfrey Cambridge was a popular stand up comedian who appeared several times on The Ed Sullivan Show during the 1960's. He stars as a serious detective with his partner to stop a scam on black New York city residents.

Second, Red Foxx, another comedian who achieved rave status with black audiences in the 1950's, recording several comedy records that were filled with sexual humor and abhored by white America. Foxx, a junk dealer, appears occasionally through the film dealing in, of all things, a bale of cotton. Hence the title: Cotton Comes to Harlem.

Mildly entertaining today, the movie was a sensation in the early 1970's as a respectable alternative to white society films. This is a good sample of what the races were shown during the day. Hollywood was willing to exploit anything it could and it surely made its mark in this sublime comedy.

In 1971, the pre-eminent answer to white hero worship was the biggest and most memorable character "Shaft".

Godfrey Cambridge as Gravedigger Jones
Raymond St. Jacques as Coffin Ed Johnson
Calvin Lockhart as Reverend Deke O'Malley
Judy Pace as Iris
Redd Foxx as Uncle Bud / Booker Washington Sims (junk dealer)
Emily Yancy as Mabel
John Anderson as Bryce
Lou Jacobi as Goodman

Directed by Ossie Davis
Produced by Samuel Goldwyn Jr.
Written by Ossie Davis
Chester Himes (Novel)
Cinematography Gerald Hirschfeld
Editing by Robert Q. Lovett

Distributed by United Artists
Release date(s) May 26, 1970
Running time 97 mins
½ August 5, 2010
When I first heard of Cotton Comes to Harlem, I originally got the inclination that the film was bout a guy named Cotton that comes to Harlem. Far be it from me to actually expect an actual bail of cotton is what the title is referring to! This is just of a taste of a interestingly little, albeit forgotten Blaxploitation film.

Our film opens with two cops keeping an eye on a shady religious figure, who seems to be working up a large following. Of course he is getting people to donate their hard earned money for him to make a trek back to Africa. He of course intends on stealing the money, so he hides the dough in a bail of cotton and stages a robbery. The cops know what he's up to but other people get wind and the bail of cotton it keeps getting stolen and disappearing until the cops don't know where to look or who to trust anymore.

I like how our two cop characters are more realistic compared to other films in the blaxploitation genre. Their less focused on being "cool" and come across tough by just being more normal, hard working detectives. This is no doubt one of the reasons the film isn't as popular as audiences enjoy the over-the-top coolness of such kats as Shaft and Superfly. Though director Ossie Davis keeps our cops normal (other than their character names), he does add some nice comedy touches to the film. An example is during a car chase, we have a pick pocket steal a women's purse, run out into the street only to be hit by the car the cops are chasing. Sequences like this brought a smile to my face.

If I had to complain about one aspect of the film it has to be the third act and the film slows down to an almost grinding halt. The film's climax takes place in a theater the film starts focusing on the woman dancing for what seems to be 10 minutes. An attractive women she was but holy hell it was it completely pointless! The rest of the film just meanders away and never truly recovers.

Overall though this was an entertaining Blaxploitation film but fans will no doubt would rather see super cool kats like Shaft as opposed to our cops Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed Johnson. I say give it shot. The humor is good but not obtrusive and the characters are interesting (interesting enough to inspire two rarely seen sequels). I recommend the film if one can get through the humdrum climax.
November 11, 2009
Wasn't as good as I thought it was gonna be.I mainly watched this movie cauz it had Redd Foxx but he was hardly in it
½ July 11, 2008
Tauted as the "black Freebie and the Bean" I was really pleased that it was the audience pick for Weird Wednesday.
I really enjoyed myself.

Issues such as race, hope, and justice have really been on my mind lately since I've been following Barak Obama's political campaign.
I think this movie touched on these feelings beautifully.
And, it gave a well put point of what people will do with hope and how quickly it can turn into a deep distrust.

I also thought it was so poignant that some people couldn't fathom a bale of cotton in Harlem.
May 2, 2008
A whole hell of a lot of fun. Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed Johnson are where it's at. Loved it.
January 25, 2008
"Grave Digger" Jones & "Coffin Ed" Johnson and their nickel plated .357 Magnums jump out of the Novels and return in the second (and last) adaptation of the Harlem headbusters. 70's atmosphere, twisted humor, and the lead actors make it a cult classic worth a look if you are into it...
December 26, 2007
Once again, I'm not sure I know what's going on. Certainly, I've lost track of most of the characters' names. I wanted to look up who played the evil white guy (heroin smuggler?), but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what his character was named. I don't know which detective had which ridiculous nickname, and it may only be because I actually recognized Redd Foxx that I was able to remember that he plays a guy called Uncle Bud. Deke O'Malley gets his named chanted, so that one was easy.

As to what happens, that's complicated. Reverend Deke O'Malley is running what is probably a scam involving a ship called [i]Black Bertha[/i], which people will go from Harlem back to Africa on. None of them seem concerned about the fact that Africa is an awfully big place but that no more specific detail about their destination is given. I would suggest, if I can do so without seeming too pretentious about it, that Africa is more a symbol than a place to these people. To them, I think, "Africa" means a mythical homeland where all their wrongs will have been redressed and where they will be happy and prosperous, where they will no longer live in ghettos, were they will be in control of their own fates. It will not, for example, be the slums of Cairo; it will not be the war-torn Sudan. (It will not be pretty much anywhere in North Africa, where an awful lot of pale-skinned people live. I once had a substitute teacher in high school who was actually born in Egypt, and several of the black kids got really pissed off when he called himself African, because he looked white to them.) And wherever it is, it will be Christian; they are led, after all, by [i]Reverend[/i] Deke O'Malley.

Anyway, there's $78,000 that gets "stolen" from Rev. O'Malley's organization. It turns out that this is a further scam; he's paired up with Mysterious and Evil White Guy (gun runner?), and the two of them together will take the money and, um, something. It would help, I think, to have figured out exactly what Mysterious and Evil White Guy was--he wasn't in the Mafia, because that was someone else, I think. Anyway, the money gets hidden in a bale of cotton, for some reason--no one seems to know why--and some vague sort of hilarity ensues. Mostly we see this through the eyes of a couple of cops--"Gravedigger" Jones and "Coffin Ed" Johnson--but I'd say about a third of the movie is other people. (I really don't want to draw a Sartre parallel, but I will if I have to.)

The thing is, this was written and directed by [i]Ossie Davis[/i], for whom I previously had a great deal of respect. Now, not so much. This is a ridiculous movie, though it is pretty entertaining. I'm just not sure it's intended to be entertaining in this way. It's funny, for example. Now, I'm sure some of it is intended to be funny, and I'm sure some of it is just how badly slang-intensive dialogue from one era translates into another. But oh, man!

I'm not sure how many blaxploitation films we'll get to, here. It in part depends on the library, I suppose. Do they have [i]Shaft[/i]? Do they have [i]Superfly[/i]? I can't say. They did not seem to have either of the [i]Cleopatra Jones[/i] movies; we'd've gotten to them by now. We'll just find out as we go along.

We're almost to the letter D, for the curious, and it looks like we'll have to give [i]Coriolanus[/i] a miss, as the library's copy is in pretty bad shape. I will say that it's a Time-Life/BBC production, an odd combination, that seems to feel the need to let you know all through Act I that it [i]is[/i] Act I. In case you forget at some point.
May 8, 2007
classic blaxploitation flick done by the late ossie davis. coffin ed and gravedigger are the lead characters in this urban tale about 2 cops trying to bust a false prophet
April 26, 2007
A cut above most blacksploitation movies that were out around the time this one was released. Godfrey and St. Jacques work well off of each other, and Redd Foxx has a good role.
October 6, 2006
Another of the made for black audience movies of the 70's that had a number of black actors who later became famous in their own movies & TV shows.
½ January 9, 2016
When folks talk about the groundbreaking blaxploitation films, "Shaft" and "Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song" are usually the main films mentioned. This film is rarely mentioned, even tough it came out the previous year and stars a pair of black actors as cops and was directed by Ossie Davis. This adaptation of a Chester Himes novel is an extremely effective blend of action and comedy. Well worth a look for fans of the genre.
½ August 17, 2013
Very entertaining.. must see...