The Couch Trip Reviews

August 9, 2011
Another top Aykroyd comedy (does he ever make abad one?) alongside Grodin with his usual extreme character portrayal and Walter Matthau in a slightly weaker role than his partners.

88 was a good year for Aykroyd with 'The Great Outdoors' and this, two good films but this one clearly being the best, if not as well known, with Aykroyd in scorching form as a smart ass convict getting himself to a loony bin and then a top flight job as a doctor on the radio.

Sounds average but the way in which Aykroyd performs his role is such a joy to watch with his usual quick fire dialog that he can unleash at any given moment as he has shown in many of his films. The whole film is basically an anarchic comedy with the main character being a total fraud, yet a lovable roguish fraud that you just wanna see win :)

Much better than so many modern films due to Aykroyd coming across as quite an intelligent person who genuinely knows his stuff instead of just memorising lines, its also nice to see a comedian in film who can make you laugh with his wit and use of knowledge instead of just making stupid faces and acting like a complete moron Mr Carrey.
September 6, 2010
A great group of comedians makes for a very funny movie. The story is funny too. I highly recommend this fun comedy.
July 30, 2007
Dan Aykroyd has escaped from a mental hospital and becomes a great radio talk show pyscho-analyst. It's an okay movie, but doesn't have an abundance of funny scenes. Hardly classic. The memorable climax has them climbing the Hollywood sign.
May 20, 2008
Dan Aykroyd is always funny, and this movie even though it has some flaws is no exception, the one thing about this movie was the storyline which is it's biggest flaw, they have the relationship between Aykroyd and Walter Matthau's character which is really non-existent, then you have the main story line about a mental patient impersonating a radio psychologist. Just to little, if the movie had more depth then this would be a great comedy, but it is only good mostly because of Aykroyd and Matthau, and a little Charles Grodin never hurt anyone.
February 5, 2011
finally got around to seeing this one, must have been on my 'have to watch this someday' list for over 20 years ... glad I did!
September 26, 2009
It is hilarious how Aykroyd, as a patient turns the tables on his psychiatrist, impersonating him, and making him a more popular guy than ever. Walter Matthau's character is really funny too. Of course Grodin is mad about everything as usual, but still adds to the hilarity. I really enjoyed seeing this on TV last night! Loved the ending.
April 15, 2015
More a bad trip than a couch trip.
October 27, 2010
This comedy barely got a passing grade from me. Pretty weak stuff from both Akyroyd and Matthau (who is a favorite of mine). I thought the premise was pretty funny, however, and I am a big Charles Grodin guy. It's not Fletch, but it was OK.
½ August 30, 2010
Now This Is Dan Back In The Day ... This Is A Slam Dunk !!! For those That Like Dan Aykroyd...
He plays a crazzy That is Suave Enuf To Pretend he is a Doctor And Takes Over a Radio Station And This Doctore he is pretending to be's Life ... Great feel good comedy I LUV *
½ November 27, 2009
Ok I wanted to really love this movie, but I couldn't. I mean Dan Aykroyd and Walter Matthau made a nice pair. Some parts of the movie should have you laughing your head off, but you find yourself just snickering a bit. You really want more of this film, but there isn't. Charles Grodin brought a nice mix to the film also, but not enough to save it on the best movie list.
½ May 19, 2009
Couch Trip -- a dumb movie, a plot full of holes, not even remotely believable. But man, this movie has some of the funniest scenes I have ever witnessed. Matthau and Akroyd and Grodin are three of my favorite actors (Grodin's Midnight Run with Robert DeNiro is one of the best movies ever) and they shine here. There were several places where I couldn't stop laughing. My son and I watched together and were in tears we laughed so hard. Yes, it's uneven, it's not a great movie by any stretch, but if laughter is the medicine you need, there's a good dose here for you.
October 4, 2007
This comedy starts out decent, but the storyline begins to wear thin after about an hour. Dan Aykroyd is good in the lead role and it has some funny moments. Walter Matthau has a good bit in a supporting role.