67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cowboys & Angels Reviews

Cynthia S

October 12, 2010
Even though the characters are young and still discovering themselves, this movie is full of promise and a mature reminder that the only way out is through, and the only satisfaction is in being true to yourself. I loved the acting, the sincerity and believabiity of the relationship between a gay man and his straight roommate.
Daniel P

June 11, 2007
A pretty standard film with its heart in the right place, Cowboys & Angels tells the story of two Irish flatmates - Shane, a straight 20 year-old who is unhappy with his career and his directionless life, and Vincent, a gay 23 year-old whose life is pretty much solid, pursuing his career ambitions in the fashion industry and exploring possible romances. The two were former pupils at the same school and end up sharing a flat through coincidence, and become friends. When Shane, trying to overcome his shyness, discovers a stash of drugs in the corridor of the building he shares with other people, it begins in motion an unlikely involvement in drug running; seemingly this is more interesting and certainly more financially rewarding than his dead-end career, but soon his life is spiralling out of control. Cowboys & Angels is really rather generic for its first hour, even with the introduction of the drugs storyline and an unrequited infatuation that Shane has for Gemma (who in a contrived coincidence turns out to be Vincent's best friend). The character of Vincent, the flamboyant gay guy with an interest in fashion and a bathroom cabinet crammed with hair-care product, is a walking stereotype, and most of the other characters are steeped in cliché. It doesn't help that Allen Leech, as Vincent, overplays everything whilst Michael Legge, as Shane, mumbles his way through most of his lines. At the one hour mark though, the stereotypes are reversed in a brilliant sequence which starts with a drugged up Shane in a club making a prat of himself and ends with him back in the apartment with the dealer he's doing the running for, whilst in another room Gemma tries to seduce Vincent. It's one of the few truly effective moments that actually make sitting through the film worthwhile, before it finishes predictably in sentimentality.
gms1yygy
June 15, 2007
One of my Flixter "best friends" I Mann said it best: "This is a beautiful movie about the ups and downs of starting to live on your own and of friendship and curiosity. Really lovely movie and I highly recommend it." ... so do I.
March 14, 2014
I loved this movie! Easily makes it in my Top 10 of the genre!
June 6, 2012
The only thing missing from this Film is Ryan Gosling.
Paulfreitag
June 13, 2005
There's a moment a little over halfway through [i]Cowboys and Angels[/i] where things seem to start to get better. Not better for those on screen, mind you, as the scene involves lead character Shane absent-mindedly gobbling down a pill whose effects are simple described as "more poweful than E" in a fit of determined self-destruction. At that point, you really start to think the film is going somewhere, and that what started out as a perfectly bland entry in the coming-of-age/dissimilar-roommates-become-friends film sweepstakes is about to take a dark turn and become something much more.

It doesn't, though. The drug trip serves as a bottoming out for Shane, convincing him to give up his life of petty drug running and go back to the more formulaic main plot in time for the inevitable conclusion that any filmgoer could see coming by the thirty-minute marker.

[i]Cowboys & Angels[/i] isn't exactly a bad movie--in fact, it's so pleasant and inoffensive that you may forget you're watching it at all. At the beginning of the film, Shane is a nice but geeky young man who moves into a flat in the big city with Vincent, a flamoyant art student. Shane figures out that Vincent is gay because he dresses like a drunken geisha, and Vincent figures out that Shane isn't because he dresses like Mr. Belvedere. There's light conflict at first (Vincent uses the whole bathroom for his make-up!) but soon the two are getting along, and Vincent plays "Queer Eye" on Shane, dressing him up as a deranged new-wave post-apocalypse warrior in order to impress a girl that we're assured has a great personality, though she's so underdeveloped that we just have to take the character's word for it.

In fact, the whole thing might as well have been called [i]Queer Eye for the Straight Guy: The Movie[/i] if the rights had been available, because that's how strangely prototypical and desexualized things are. Vincent's audacious fashion sense helps Shane get the girl, pursue his real dreams and quit drug running, the sole interesting sub-plot in the film. Meanwhile, Vincent's sole sexual trysts consist of one quick make-out session with an older man to set up a later plot twist and a hetero coupling with the girl of Shane's eyes, I guess in order for him to reject her later. If it weren't for the swearing, you could mistake this for an Irish after school special.

There's a lot of potential here, mostly in Shane's character, but little of it is reached. There's plenty of coming-of-age trials (an inspirational co-worker dies, Shane comes out of his shell) but it's nothing that every John Hughes movie of the '80s hasn't touched upon, and the only reason it's interesting at all is due to the performance by Michael Legge, a fine talent with an Ewan McGregor-esque grin that almost carries the film by himself.

He can't do all the work, however, and [i]Cowboys & Angels[/i] is too unremarkable and half-hearted that it never really engages. Despite all the development, the characters are still tired stereotypes coasting through tired plot devices in a movie that would have looked dated if it had come out twenty years ago. Not awful by any means, just absolutely nothing here you haven't seen before.
alistarr
March 14, 2005
Cowboys & Angels (2004) - "At least you're part of a scene, the gay scene. There's nothing like it in the straight world." - Shane Butler

A rare treat in the genre, Cowboys & Angels follows 20-year old Shane Butler (Michael Legge) as he tries to get his life going after the disastrous death of his father, which left their family struggling to make ends meet. He takes a job with Civil Service in the Limerick City and ends up sharing an apartment with Vincent Cusack (Allen Leach) a design student nearing the end of his tour in college and facing an uncertain future. Shane himself is a talented visual artist, but without the money to go to college, he faces many years in a soulless desk job. Surrounded by art students, which constantly remind him of his dead-end job, and rooming with Vince, jealous of his the social scene unique to gays, Shane decides to take desperate action.

Conditioned to the "coming out" or "body-selling" nature of most gay films, it was gratifying to see a screenplay about young people grappling with the challenges of life. The story is loaded with powerful messages and it works quite will for any young person, gay or straight. It's a bit farfetched in spots, and comes together rather conveniently, but the acting makes it work. I was intrigued enough by the story, that I barely paid any attention to the technical aspects. I'll watch it again some day, and pay closer attention to guys behind the scenes. At least I can assure you that they did nothing to detract from the story or the acting. I may come back and rate this one lower following the second viewing, but for now I am impressed.
jazza923
February 11, 2005
WELL WRITTEN IRISH DRAMA. THE TWO LEADS ARE VERY GOOD. IT NEVER QUITE RISES TO ANYTHING EXTRAORDINARY THOUGH. NICE SHORT LENGTH IS A HELP.