Cracks

Cracks Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

August 2, 2010
Innocence isn't lost. It's taken.

Good Film! This film is very well played by all actors, including the young girls, directed beautifully and using both impressive scenery and great costumes. Eva Green played a complex character, easy to sympathize with at times, easy to loathe at others. She carried this film almost to perfection. While the beginning of the film is effective due to its period authenticity and performances, the story itself is somewhat sleight. I realize that the opening hour and a half or so is needed to allow for the stellar final twenty minutes, but maybe the danger could have been alluded to earlier. Every emotion and feeling is conveyed by expert story telling, such as the mood of the scene and the body language of actresses. They draw viewers into their world, and into their feelings. One can easily tell Miss G's attraction, confusion and panic; Di's jealousy and Fiamma's emotional change throughout the film. Such an empathy inducing film is rarely seen nowadays. The cinematography by John Mathieson finds both the haunting beauty of the isolated St. Mathilde's School and the splendid panoramas of nature add immeasurably to the film as does the musical score by Javier Navarette - a score that combines Anglican hymns with gentle piano music. This is a triumph for all concerned and bodes well for the career of Jordan Scott. That being said, Jordan Scott you are a genius! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to see more of your work.

Within the confines of a strict, all-girls English boarding school (circa 1930s), a clique students participate on the swim team not only to pass the time, but to be close to their swimming instructor, the enigmatic, yet charismatic, Miss G (Eva Green). While Miss G originally encourages their idolization and crack (crush) on her, the teachers attention is quickly focused on the arrival of an exotic and beautiful Spanish foreign pupil, Fiamma (María Valverde). As the new girl rebuffs her classmates, and further rejects Miss Gs interest, her teammates begin to grow jealous of Miss Gs fascination with Fiamma, and resent the latters distain of their instructor, accumulating in the inexplicable disappearance of Fiamma.
Raymond W

October 20, 2012
The directorial debut of Jordan Scott, the daughter of Ridley Scott is Cracks, a film about an all-girls boarding school and the elite students part of the diving team under the direction of Miss G. It is so much fun to watch Eva Green ride that teacher off the rails, that it's almost the one reason to see this film. The film is otherwise a formless, abstract, mostly well-acted, atmospheric and sometimes boring first film for Jordan Scott.
Cynthia S

September 11, 2010
A film about a psychotic, predatory lesbian, and a group of boarding school girls. Some tension filled scenes, intertwined with catfights, bullying, and tons of estrogen. All this could have been a great recipe for a memorable movie....but I found it just average. Eva Green, however, is quite great in this....
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

June 30, 2011
Cast: Eva Green, Juno Temple, María Valverde, Imogen Poots, Ellie Nunn, Adele McCann, Zoe Carroll, Clemmie Dugdale, Sinéad Cusack, Helen Norton

Director: Jordan Scott

Summary: Jordan Scott -- daughter of helmer Ridley Scott -- makes her directing debut with this thriller set at a British all-girls boarding school between World War I and II and starring Eva Green as a popular teacher and coach of the swim team. When a new girl arrives at the cliquish and hormonally charged institution, jealousies erupt, obsessions arise and, eventually, a student disappears.

My Thoughts: "Jordon Scott really did a fabulous and beautiful job with her first film. The under water scenes where gorgeous. The acting is so good. Especially by Eva Green. Miss G. is a beautiful, exotic, and a free spirit in her girl's eyes. She cheers on her girls and teaches them that the most important thing in life is desire and that you can have anything in the world all you need to do is desire it. Not until Fiamma shows up do we see the other side of Miss G. The much darker, disturbed, unbalanced, troubled side. Fiamma brings out the worse in Miss G. Miss G. desires Fiamma's attention and love. Fiamma is quick to notice there is something wrong with Miss G. and tries her best to stay free of her, but there's no escaping Miss G. or her loyal jealous followers. Great film! Intense with great performances from all the young ladies. Must see for certain."
Nicki M

March 27, 2011
Very slow to start, but definitely worth sticking with. I was really enthralled by this once it become apparent that the beautiful Miss G (Eva Green) was a little mentally unbalanced. I actually had sympathy for her character right up until the very last bit. After that point it became a little hard to excuse her.
This is beautifully filmed and it's interesting that someone has compared this to Heavenly Creatures, because that's exactly what it reminded me of, though obviously different, not a rip off in any way.
The actresses who play the school girls are a little unremarkable, but it further marks the glamour of Mss G and, to a lesser extent, Fiamma (Maria Valverde), the student who eventually pushes Miss G's fragile sanity over the edge. I think it was a smart move to make the other girls quite ordinary and unmemorable. Compelling and interesting movie. Not sure if it would be one all would enjoy, but certainly worth a look.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 20, 2010
"Innocence isn't lost. It's taken."

A look at the lives and relationships among girls at an elite British boarding school.

REVIEW
Mesmerising. Predictable perhaps, but only because it stays true to so many classic roots (Think Picnic at Hanging Rock meets Lord of the Flies meets Death in Venice... the list goes on) Yet it's never clichéd. Definitely an instant classic on so many levels, and that's before one realises it was directed by the progeny of one of the world's greatest filmmakers - should that be prodigy? Given the history, I feel it's almost a pity there wasn't a part for Harvey Keitel, as he seems to star in the debut masterpiece of more than a few great modern directors, including Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, etc... Personally I would have given him a small cameo as one of the townspeople just for fun! Bravo the Scott Clan (no wonder it felt a bit like watching The Hunger for the first time.) - Encore!
William S

November 10, 2009
I did so want to like this - the tantalising premise intrigued me at the very least. But, as hard as I tried, I couldn't engage with the characters who ranged from stiff and aloof to petulant and annoying. And with a story that was just a little too chilly and inscrutable for its own good I really couldn't summon up much of a response beyond a rather tepid anxiety.
A flic that promises much and looks rather beautiful but ultimately it's a bit of a cock-tease (in every sense) and is only really as appetising as licking coloured ice.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

June 7, 2012
"Cracks" starts out in a rowboat where Di(Juno Temple) thanks her teacher Miss G(Eva Green), to whom she is devoted, for loaning her The Book, despite how controversial it is. So, it is a good thing Di does not mention it during weekly confessional while pretty much bringing up every other stray thought she has had recently. Di, as captain of her team, is informed by Miss Nieven(Sinead Cusack) that there will be a new addition, Fiamma(Maria Valverde). At the same time, she cautions Di that she might be a little different due to her being Spanish, aristocratic and Catholic. That makes no difference to Di as she is only concerned that the new girl not have more than five personal items on her night table.

"Cracks" is a great looking movie that is so understated that it threatens to float away at the first breeze. But like some of the characters, the movie is very deceptive as it gracefully seeks to subvert the very notion of the inspirational schoolteacher genre, helped immensely by the brittle charm of Eva Green's best performance to date. To be honest, it may not entirely be Miss G's fault that nothing of substance is taught to the girls, as the syllabus for such a school in 1934 was probably lightweight to say the least which would only leave them prepared for one thing in the outside world.(I was originally going to go with either isolationism or fascism but I think this works just as well.) Still, there are worst places to be stranded where a person can learn the power of a good story. Just remember that it is the real ones that count the most.
Christopher H

March 4, 2011
Cracks is a dark, yet poetic look into the lives of a small group of sheltered school girls. Eva Green plays their teacher, sharing exotic stories and seducing the girls with her charm and "life experience". But when the new French student, Fiamma is introduced, favoritism drives them all apart, eventually leading to some very unexpected twists, the likes that a period drama has never seen. Sexy, yet innocent, this film surprises in the best of ways.
Daniel P

December 19, 2010
Starts promisingly and does have its moments but the complete lack of subtlety (LOOK, ONE OF THE GIRLS HAS ASTHMA - THIS WILL BE IMPORTANT) and some woeful child acting (all affected mannerisms and awful accents) do let things down. Comparisons to thematically similar films like Picnic at Hanging Rock and Heavenly Creatures are less than favourable, and the ending feels a long time coming. Eva Green is pretty good though, I really like the repeated diving metaphor and the film isn't by any means awful; I enjoyed it whilst I was watching it. In other words it's entertaining but not really worth seeking out.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

December 31, 2011
"You shouldn't be so bloody spare all the time! You're making her miserable, you know, and you're ruining the team! IF we're to be stuck with YOU, then you'd better learn that the happiness of the team FAR outweighs that of your own!"

"I don't want to be part of your team. I'm not even meant to be here."

"But you're here now, so you'd better make the best of it, and stop being so bloody selfish!"

"I'm not selfish. I just want to go home."

"Don't you think we ALL want to go home?!?"

The apple cart of order is upset by the arrival of a Spanish girl of royal blood at a remote boarding school on Stanley Island off the coast of England in 1934. An intriguingly complicated and continuously shifting triangle of acrimony and affection arises between scandalously free-thinking instructor Miss G (Eva Green), her jealously loyal protege Di (Juno Temple), and the exotic world-wise Fiamma (Maria Valverde.) All three are terrific, particularly Temple whose pride is easily hurt and then repaired, and whose beliefs are challenged in the wake of Fiamma deducing the truth that hides behind the glamorous stories Miss G spins of her adventures. And who else but Eva Green could pull off the twisted seduction scene? The rest of the young cast are also top-notch - why coudn't the original Harry Potter casting director find kids this adept? The malfeasantly monikered Imogen Poots reminded me of a giggly Kate Winslet from Heavenly Creatures or Sense & Sensibility.

A lush score led by violin and piano (reminds me weirdly enough of the sad inflections present in the soundtrack for the videogame Max Payne 2!) and beautiful cinematography perfectly evoke the time and place. And diving - there's lots of diving, but I was more captivated than if watching an Olympic medalist. A worthwhile peek at a darker side of a way of life from a bygone era.
Marcus W

December 22, 2011
Eva Green and Juno Temple are the standouts in this film, but the whole thing is let down by too much whimsy and a lack of "bite". Kind of a dark Mona Lisa Smile...
Anastasia B

November 30, 2010
I know this film has not worked for a lot of people, but it has worked on me, even though someone might dismiss it as a big pyjama girl party. It's a wonderful opportunity for Eva Green to play yet another slightly demented and sexually deviant character (like in Bertolucci's The Dreamers) and as a directorial debut from Jordan (of the Scott family) it's just magnificent. Beautiful and shocking, it builds up slowly but it compensates for it in the end. Shot in Ireland, which is a plus for me, personally as I completely love those landscapes. Jordan Scott may not be Sofia Coppola, but she's getting there.
MOVEECRITIC
MOVEECRITIC

July 19, 2010
Intriguingly mysterious plot by director Jordan Scott. A naive alliance with underlying cracks of desire (infatuation). "Secret society" meets "Madeline" set in the 1930s.
June 28, 2014
This. . . This is a weird movie. Best synopsis: Doubt meets Lord of the Flies. Eva Green is straight crazy. And also excellent, per usual.
dharmalogos
December 30, 2013
This is not a great film, but it is dark and moody and worth watching if you are an Eva Green fan. The film is quite sexy in a subtle but taboo sort of way.
October 24, 2012
When I started this, I had horrible flashbacks to last month's viewing of Loving Annabelle, which was a very similar set-up: clearly inappropriate relationships between a teacher and a new student at an all-female boarding school. However, this movie actually had a *story* to it, and it ends up going in a very disturbing, but interesting, direction. The character of the teacher becomes more and more fascinating as she is revealed, and I found myself getting caught up in the story. Although the ending left me a little hazy about who exactly I was supposed to view as the central character of the story, I thought it was a pretty entertaining little thriller.
June 6, 2011
This Manipulative Teacher, Miss G(Eva Green) will stop at nothing to get her way & cover her tracks.
greyhound109
July 3, 2011
This is the poster child for amateur filmmaking. It's ver basic, doesn't try anything new or creative or clever, it just goes. The most complex thing about it, which is something very comendable, is Juno Temple's lead performance. Juno is an actress who can truely act; she can understand her character and adopt it as herself. That seems pretty basic but you dont truely see it in many actors. Juno Temple is one of the most phenomanal actors Ive ever seen, not to mention the most beautiful. If only she would get juicier rolls like this more often. C+