• PG-13, 1 hr. 52 min.

Crazy in Alabama Reviews

deano
deano

June 19, 2007
Amazing comic tale about racism, freedom, spousal abuse, and personal growth.
sanjurosamurai

November 7, 2006
Weird but okay.
Marcus W

December 20, 2007
This is technically a "coming-of-age" film, but it has a kookiness to it that's irresistible. It deals with 60's racism without being heavy-handed - while also being a road-trip movie. It's completely odd and completely unique. Antonio Banderas should consider directing more often.
June 4, 2009
If you don't mind watching a crazy women carrying around her dead husbands head in tupperwear, it's great. Not to mention the fact that Meatloaf is in it.
October 1, 2008
I've loved this movie for years, and it's definitely one of my favorites! Every actor gives a stellar performance. A fictional story with a relatable background, set against the real Civil Rights Movement backdrop in the South. This movie is so powerful. There are funny parts, sad parts, but the whole thing is moving and uplifting and I absolutely recommend it with all my heart!
September 27, 2008
crazy in alabama reminds me of how much racism is still very much alive in the world....now in 1965, all the negro childrens wanted was to swim in the public pool and it cost one of them their lives...taylor jackson, a black child died because a redneck racist cop pulled taylor down so hard onto the pavement that it killed him dead....and then on top of that the racist white cop tried to say that it was an accident, but one white boy peejo saw everything and told it.....and also this movie was about how one lady lucille killed her husband and decapitate his head from his body and carried around with her everywhere, even on the set with her while she acted in california...her husband was very abusive and mean to her and her their kids...she got fed up and killed him....then she skipped town and she was free for a little while until she was captured....I guess that crazy in alabama is the correct name for this movie.....crazy people with crazy way of thinking...some people are still stuck in the dark ages....and they need to wake up...make up...stop hating...before it's too late....before they meet their maker...God....get their hearts right.....here are a few quotes that i really liked from this movie.......you can bear freedom, but you can't kill it....taylor jackson died for freedom and aunt lucille had to kill to get it...life and death are only temporary but freedom goes on forever....and that is so true....a very good movie indeed...there are some good people in this world....a few bad apples can't spoil it for the rest....had a good ending too....also that racist cop got arrested too......
farrahforfilm
April 29, 2008
I loved this movie.Loved Melanie Griffith as Lucille.One of her best performances other than working girl.Lucas Black was just wonderful as P Joe.These two characters rise above adversity and find freedom.Freedom lasts forever.
peachygreek6
July 28, 2007
This was a terrible movie. I just hated it. Melanie Griffith cannot play a southern woman. She is just not believable doing the accent.
August 6, 2013
The two or three different stories going on here are moderately interesting on their own, though they never mesh quite well enough crammed into this one piece.
February 20, 2013
Horrible movie from horrible book. There's nothing 'free spirited' about this. It appears most people agree. Trash.
January 23, 2013
The two plots don't gel, and despite a good performance by Griffith and an amusing eccentric style, it seems quite shallow and disconnected.
September 5, 2012
Uniformly excellent cast, headed by Griffith and directed with a kind-of sentimental toughness by Banderas make for a terrific film, from what I saw. I only caught it on television when it was well into the story, so now I have to see it from the beginning. Really looking forward to it and will find the book, too.
Vik Garre
May 6, 2012
Very good film, Antonio Banderas really impressed me with this film.
A serious film about racism with cute kids facing discrimination and a really crazy Melanie Griffith, lovingly directed by a admirer Banderas, that gives the film the funny moments turning it to a comedy.
Antonio Banderas knows exactly what he wants in this film, he wants the viewer to worry about racism, but he also wants to entertain. And so, you will have bad anguishing moments and funny moments too.
When Melanie Griffith is on screen you realize how much Antonio Banderas loves her, she is directed with admiration and devotion. Almost a tribute to her.
Very different to the typical spanish films, I like it.
April 29, 2011
Very under-rated movie. Melanie Griffith is not my favorite actress because she is a little flaky but the story is awesome. Loved the movie
NeverSayNo2AMovie
July 12, 2010
HEADS UP: Not what I thought at all very good movie well some parts anyway..
Barry S.
December 20, 2008
I just finished watching "Crazy in Alabama" and can say it was one of the better movies I've seen recently. It was made in 1999 and after having looked through the reviews for this older movie, I can honestly say that many movie critics couldn't spot an excellent movie if it was spelled out for them. Thus the confusion in their reviews. The negative critics of this film just don't get it.

This flick is not incoherent. It is not whatever their criticism of it says. It is a skillfully woven story of Melanie Griffith's character Lucille with that of Peejoe her nephew set against the background of the civil rights movement of the sixties. The acting was right on. The pacing was excellent.

"Freedom is eternal," the ending line said it all.

Critics should focus more on the overall entertainment value of a movie. This one is a gem.
marie r.
November 27, 2008
I loved the dark humor in this film juxtaposed against the politics of the period; it brought to light the absurdity of racism and inequality for women during the 1950's. It is a quirky yet intellectual expose' of the times. Melanie Griffith's performance is outstanding; she pulls you into her character, gripping your emotions every step of the way. Lucas Black is intense and convincing in his innocent, idealist view of the world. Rod Steiger gives a stunning performance with a witty voice of sanity in an insane time.
starlett2005
January 28, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I thought that the cast especially Melanie Griffith, David Morse and young Lucas Black were very believable. It's refreshing to see that the last few films that David Morse has been in have cast him as a good guy.