Crazy on the Outside - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy on the Outside Reviews

½ August 23, 2010
It was ok, wasn't that bad. Tim Allen directed this movie, he should stay only in front of the camera instead of been behind it too.

A recently paroled ex-con who has trouble adjusting to the wacky normalcy of life outside of prison. He has spent the last three years behind bars after getting caught committing a crime and taking the rap for his much more dangerous pal.
December 12, 2009
Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, J.K. Simmons, Julie Brown, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Ray Liotta, Kelsey Grammer

It's about a man named Tommy who went away to prison for three yrs. after taking full responsibility for a crime he and his more dangerous partner committed. Now out after his three stint in prison, Tommy is having a tough time with the outside life and trying to hold on to some type of normalcy of his life before prison while also trying to live out the lies his sister keeps telling.
I thought it was funny. I laughed quite a bit. It is an odd comedy. Sigourney Weaver was really funny. I liked her quirky character. Just one of those films that you will want to see for a laugh. Nothing special about it. But worth the rental.. Not theater worthy.
April 17, 2010
Tommy (Tim Allen) is released from prison after serving a three year sentence stint for video piracy and returns home to his chronic liar of a sister Vicky, (Sigourney Weaver) who told his grandmother that he's been in France all this time, to spare her the real story. Vicky also told Tommy that his old flame, Christy (Julie Bowen), died while he was in prison. That turns out to be another lie; Christy is alive, well and living with Frank (Kelsey Grammer), a rich electronics salesman.

Looking to bounce back and avoid the mistakes he made previously, Tommy tries to resist temptations proffered by his old partner in crime (Ray Liotta) who is trying to lure him back into the piracy game and seeks to restart his late father's house-painting business. The bad news is, he's forced by his parole officer, Angela (Jeanne Tripplehorn) to accept a demeaning job at a local burger joint.

Let's not forget J.K. Simmons as Tommy's sarcastic over sexed brother-in-law and Angela's kid who tries to use Tommy in a matchmaking scheme.

Will Tommy be able to move on, avoid the illegal temptations of his former accomplice, rebuild his late dad's painting business and hook up with his sexy probation officer whose Little Leaguer son has taken a shine to him? Watch it to find out!
May 17, 2010
Tim Allen stars as Tommy, a man who has just been released from prison, to find out that his sister (Sigourney Weaver) has told their grandmother that he was in France. His sister also lied about his ex girlfriend (Julie Bowen) dieing in a horrible car accident.

Bowen is now engaged to a television salesman (Kelsey Grammer), but is willing to cheat on him with Tommy on the weekend. While Tommy is looking to paint for a living, like his father, but his successful low life buddy (Ray Liotta) that got him put in jail, is willing to give him a job and won't take no for an answer.

I agree with the critics that called the movie a mess. The plot is all over the place and good actors like J.K Simmons are wasted. However the movie actually kept my attention and Sigourney Weaver was actually pretty funny as the sister that can't tell the truth to save her life. While compared to some of the junk Allen has been in, the movie isn't that bad. Which is probably got Allen interested enough to even direct the movie. I think he'll find a good script again sooner or later, Galaxy Quest was really good for example.
April 4, 2010
A different side of Allen is revealed in his directorial debut. Tim plays a more mature, serious character which contributes to the monotony of the film. Boredom is met with a few jokes but overall it lacks the needed ingredients on the outside as well as inside of a successful big screen flick.
½ May 18, 2010
A friend loaned me this on and I almost fell asleep on it. The funny parts were way to few and way to far apart to hold your attention for long. Though my girl Sirgourny did her best, it wasn't the actors fault. It weas the script...See at your own risk
May 8, 2010
Given that this is directed and stars Tim Allen, he attempts to bring out the comedy/drama side of him.
As much as one hopes for this to be a come back from the Tool Man himself, it does not really make a lift off.
Ray Liotta seems to be in this film only because he seems to be trying to get out of his gangster typecast role, and this would be the 2nd movie he's been in with Allen; Wild Hogs (2007).
It has enough laughter in it to bring a smile to your face, but nothing more than that. In attempt to be a director, Allen is not much for one to be #1.
Better luck next time Tim.
May 24, 2014
Yes , it's a pretty generic movie and Tim Allen is no ball of fire but Sigourney is fun to watch. It is a good clean family movie.
December 27, 2013
This is way underrated. Skip the 'story' is stupid...and specific actors....and just enjoy the humor between weaver and Allen. That is what makes this moire work.
September 4, 2013
So very boring from start to finish.
½ April 19, 2013
With his film Crazy on the Outside, Tim Allen takes a plunge into the world of directing. Turns out, this movie is exactly what I expected it to be; a fun, feel good movie that I had a good time with.

As the title suggests, this movie focuses on a man struggling with life after getting out of prison. After serving a three year sentence, ex-con Tommy (Tim Allen) has to adjust to the concept of freedom. Tommy moves in with his compulsive liar sister (Sigourney Weaver) and her husband, who hates him. He soon discovers that life on the outside is not as easy as he expected.

There's not a whole lot to say about this one. You have a real great cast here, headlined by Tim Allen, with supporting roles from a variety of well-known actors. In the little screen time he gets, Ray Liotta is as awesome as ever. I also enjoyed Kelsey Grammer and the gorgeous Julie Bowen. With Crazy on the Outside, you aren't getting some big-time Hollywood film. Instead, it's a fun little movie that had me laughing out loud a few times. Sure, it has it's issues and the story isn't very deep, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. 3 and a half stars.
½ January 4, 2013
Its a stale concept and script but its not the worst film i've seen like it.
January 3, 2013
The script is a montage of cliche and plug-and-play characters. Sigourney Weaver has her moments, Tim Allen plays Tim Allen with consistency, and Ray Liotta turns in a performance worthy of a Lifetime original. Not as bad as its 8 percent tomato meter rating, but not worthy of the 3 stars Netflix gives -- but then again, those are Netflix streaming stars, and therefor, inflated.
November 13, 2012
I really liked this movie.........
January 5, 2011
I am curious. Sadly, the reviews don't look promising, but I do love Tim Allen.
½ October 16, 2012
Barely watchable. Rarely do I find myself hoping the finish line would be seconds away within the first 10 minutes. I stand alone knowing that Tim Allen was only ever good when he was making Home Improvement and acting in Galaxy Quest.
½ October 11, 2012
It was a solid three stars all the way until the ending. It was so contrived that it made me mad.
August 10, 2012
Nothing special but worth a watch for being "free" on Netflix. It was cute, and it had it's moments. Overall fairly predictable, but sweet.
½ July 22, 2012
Alright to watch with the family but the acting by Tim Allen is certainly not his best. The bad guys are total fake but it has a good heart to it.
½ June 29, 2012
Possibly the worst movie I've seen in a long long time.