Crazy on the Outside - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy on the Outside Reviews

MANUGINO
½ August 23, 2010
It was ok, wasn't that bad. Tim Allen directed this movie, he should stay only in front of the camera instead of been behind it too.

A recently paroled ex-con who has trouble adjusting to the wacky normalcy of life outside of prison. He has spent the last three years behind bars after getting caught committing a crime and taking the rap for his much more dangerous pal.
LWOODS04
December 12, 2009
Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, J.K. Simmons, Julie Brown, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Ray Liotta, Kelsey Grammer

DIRECTED BY: Tim Allen

It's about a man named Tommy who went away to prison for three yrs. after taking full responsibility for a crime he and his more dangerous partner committed. Now out after his three stint in prison, Tommy is having a tough time with the outside life and trying to hold on to some type of normalcy of his life before prison while also trying to live out the lies his sister keeps telling.
I thought it was funny. I laughed quite a bit. It is an odd comedy. Sigourney Weaver was really funny. I liked her quirky character. Just one of those films that you will want to see for a laugh. Nothing special about it. But worth the rental.. Not theater worthy.
xxdebxx
April 17, 2010
Tommy (Tim Allen) is released from prison after serving a three year sentence stint for video piracy and returns home to his chronic liar of a sister Vicky, (Sigourney Weaver) who told his grandmother that he's been in France all this time, to spare her the real story. Vicky also told Tommy that his old flame, Christy (Julie Bowen), died while he was in prison. That turns out to be another lie; Christy is alive, well and living with Frank (Kelsey Grammer), a rich electronics salesman.

Looking to bounce back and avoid the mistakes he made previously, Tommy tries to resist temptations proffered by his old partner in crime (Ray Liotta) who is trying to lure him back into the piracy game and seeks to restart his late father's house-painting business. The bad news is, he's forced by his parole officer, Angela (Jeanne Tripplehorn) to accept a demeaning job at a local burger joint.

Let's not forget J.K. Simmons as Tommy's sarcastic over sexed brother-in-law and Angela's kid who tries to use Tommy in a matchmaking scheme.

Will Tommy be able to move on, avoid the illegal temptations of his former accomplice, rebuild his late dad's painting business and hook up with his sexy probation officer whose Little Leaguer son has taken a shine to him? Watch it to find out!
jim222001us
May 17, 2010
Tim Allen stars as Tommy, a man who has just been released from prison, to find out that his sister (Sigourney Weaver) has told their grandmother that he was in France. His sister also lied about his ex girlfriend (Julie Bowen) dieing in a horrible car accident.

Bowen is now engaged to a television salesman (Kelsey Grammer), but is willing to cheat on him with Tommy on the weekend. While Tommy is looking to paint for a living, like his father, but his successful low life buddy (Ray Liotta) that got him put in jail, is willing to give him a job and won't take no for an answer.

I agree with the critics that called the movie a mess. The plot is all over the place and good actors like J.K Simmons are wasted. However the movie actually kept my attention and Sigourney Weaver was actually pretty funny as the sister that can't tell the truth to save her life. While compared to some of the junk Allen has been in, the movie isn't that bad. Which is probably got Allen interested enough to even direct the movie. I think he'll find a good script again sooner or later, Galaxy Quest was really good for example.
MOVEECRITIC
April 4, 2010
A different side of Allen is revealed in his directorial debut. Tim plays a more mature, serious character which contributes to the monotony of the film. Boredom is met with a few jokes but overall it lacks the needed ingredients on the outside as well as inside of a successful big screen flick.
½ April 19, 2013
With his film Crazy on the Outside, Tim Allen takes a plunge into the world of directing. Turns out, this movie is exactly what I expected it to be; a fun, feel good movie that I had a good time with.

As the title suggests, this movie focuses on a man struggling with life after getting out of prison. After serving a three year sentence, ex-con Tommy (Tim Allen) has to adjust to the concept of freedom. Tommy moves in with his compulsive liar sister (Sigourney Weaver) and her husband, who hates him. He soon discovers that life on the outside is not as easy as he expected.

There's not a whole lot to say about this one. You have a real great cast here, headlined by Tim Allen, with supporting roles from a variety of well-known actors. In the little screen time he gets, Ray Liotta is as awesome as ever. I also enjoyed Kelsey Grammer and the gorgeous Julie Bowen. With Crazy on the Outside, you aren't getting some big-time Hollywood film. Instead, it's a fun little movie that had me laughing out loud a few times. Sure, it has it's issues and the story isn't very deep, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. 3 and a half stars.
½ October 16, 2012
Barely watchable. Rarely do I find myself hoping the finish line would be seconds away within the first 10 minutes. I stand alone knowing that Tim Allen was only ever good when he was making Home Improvement and acting in Galaxy Quest.
June 14, 2011
I generally find Tim Allen to be funnier than most people do and enjoy his movies. This one, not so much. The thematic elements are too cliche' and the characters are paper doll like cutouts. There is just not much to sink your teeth into here. Allen's comedic timing is still on and his droll delivery make it worth a look, but it is not one of his better movies.
½ May 18, 2010
A friend loaned me this on and I almost fell asleep on it. The funny parts were way to few and way to far apart to hold your attention for long. Though my girl Sirgourny did her best, it wasn't the actors fault. It weas the script...See at your own risk
August 16, 2010
It's easy to find a ton of things to hate about this film, this being Tim Allen's directorial debut, I found myself a little forgiving.

It's that sense of being open minded that allowed me to get past the 30 minutes or so, and start to really appreciate what the film was trying to do. Initially, you may find it coming on a little too strong, and decide right away that you're going to hate whatever comes later. Yet, if you keep watching, you come to realize that combined, the performances and the story are kind of sweet, and you find yourself drawn in.

Tim Allen stars as Tommy Zelda. He is just released from prison and has to reintegrate back into society. He has to accomplish this while dealing with his sister (Sigourney Weaver) who is a compulsive liar, her judgmental husband (JK Simmons), naive grandmother, hard-assed probation officer (Jeanne Tripplehorn), and old partner in crime (Ray Liotta). Under circumstances like these it would be difficult for anyone to stay on the straight and narrow.

Still, given the many set backs he encounters through the actions of lovable idiots, or his own poor decisions, you root for the guy and hope he pulls through in the end. Typically, I find myself a harsher critic on films like this, and perhaps it's just the mood I am in, but I found it delightful and rather light hearted.

We've all been there, wanting a second chance. Needing to prove to ourselves, and others, that we can be better. I feel that Allen had something to prove with this project. Perhaps it was simply an exercise in the art of "to see if I could," or maybe there was more to it.

I get the sense that given the cast he put together, they all wanted to help a friend. It wasn't out of pity or for a quick buck. Instead, it was a reflection on Allen's character, and the idea that combined, they could turn out a pretty decent film. In my humble opinion, I think they did just that.
July 17, 2010
This Tim Allen directed film centers on a man fresh out of prison and aiming to start his life over. He finds out his dead wife is not really dead and his grandma was told he spent three years in France. Most of the movie misses the mark; however John Greise provides some good laughs. Typical comedy in today's copy cat world.
July 14, 2010
Not as much comedy as I thought, but it was a decent film. I though Sigourney Weaver was funny in this.
June 23, 2010
Get over yourselves people, especially you "professional" critics. It was entertaining and that's all it needs to be. They can't all win golden idols. If they only used film on Oscar winners, there would be a hell of a lot of movie theaters going out of business. Oh BOO HOO, it wasn't the best movie of the century, I think I'll go cry in my self-importance. Why bother watching a movie if you have so many arbitrary criteria? Surely there's a lame, subtitled Chinese movie on some channel with a girl who has 19 toes and wins a hot air balloon race despite having been abused for years by her horseback riding instructor...who's a ballet dancing zombie...
½ June 18, 2010
Poor effort all around even by Tim Allen standards; his directing is even worse than his acting. How Sigourney Weaver, Kelsey Grammer, Julie Bowen and Ray Liotta signed on to this project is beyond me. The writing is ludicrous, as is the casting and most of the acting. Julie Bowen is the only age-appropriate actor for their role, everyone else should be 20 years younger. The story is formulaic, predictable and uninspired.
½ June 14, 2010
Tim Allen's directing debut is a terrible disaster that suffers from a script that's just plain bland. Agonizingly bland. There's none of Allen's wit in this mess, and good actors who I won't mention by name, get drowned in it as well. First nominee for worst movie of 2010, but then again, I haven't seen Killers yet.
June 12, 2010
This movie is amazing! I love how his sister lies to get him and his probation officer together and then the lies come back around to bite her in the butt!!
June 10, 2010
Quick quiz: Do you like Tim Allen's comedic schtick? If your answer is no, jump over this review to a review of a movie you might like to see because you probably won't like this one. However, if your answer is yes, then you'll probably see why I thought this light comedy is worth seeing.

The story is fairly basic, Tommy (Allen himself) has been released from prison after spending 3 years there for counterfeiting movie DVDs (horror!). He goes to live with his sister Viki (Sigourney Weaver) who avoids conflict by habitually lying. Viki has already told their mother that Tommy had gone to France for the past three years. This joke gets milked but I thought fairly effectively. His mother actually learned French and doesn't understand why Viki has to translate for Tommy since he doesn't understand a word of it.

He tries to find his old girl friend Christy (Julie Bowen , the wonderful Claire Dunphy from the current TV hit Modern Family!). Of course Viki has already told Tommy Christy died while he was in prison. In actuality, she's gold-digging in a new relationship with TV pitchman Frank (Kelsey Grammer). While he pines for Christy, Tommy becomes attracted to his parole officer (not highly original for certain). As things get bad, he considers returning to his life of crime with Gray (Ray Liotta). Viki already thinks her brother has already had a whole lotta Liotta and does what she can to stop Tommy's return to crime.

Allen directed this film himself so it really is his movie. I enjoyed the ensemble cast who did a creditable job making the movie enjoyable despite a warm-feeling yet commonplace script. Tim the Toolman has not wandered far from his old TV sitcom roots but as I mentioned at the beginning, if you liked that you should enjoy Allen's craziness on the outside......
May 21, 2010
Crazy on the Outside marks the directorial debut of comedic actor Tim Allen, and is a great example of why Allen should just stick to acting. The story concerns Allen who has been released from prison after a 3-year stint. He goes to live with sister Sigourney Weaver and her husband J.K. Simmons (the film's funniest person and sadly underused). While out, Allen aspires to resurrect his father's once popular paint company but is forced to work at a crappy fast food joint as per the demands of his parole officer (Jeanne Tripplehorn), whom he starts to bond with along with her son. There's also the re-emergence of his one true love Julie Bowen, who he thought was dead, but has moved on with rich fiance Kelsey Grammar. AND THEN, there's also Allen's former partner in crime Ray Liotta, who runs an illegal movie pirating empire and is begging Allen to come back to that world. AND THEN THEN, Allen manages to build up the painting business slowly on his spare time, with his new lovable ex-con employees as they all try to gain everyone's trust, that is, until something gets stolen. As you can clearly see, there are WAAAY too many things going on in this film, which makes it seem all over the place and disoriented. You could've cut 3 or 4 of the many sub-storylines in this, as well as 3 or 4 unnecessary characters and that would have greatly helped out this movie. You would also think that a film with this much talent in it would be destined for more than just direct-to-DVD poppycock, but once you watch this unfunny and unamusing lackluster, you'll see why. It's a shame really, because I was really pulling for this one.
May 19, 2010
A good light hearted film. The plot was simple and predictable yet entertaining. Not as funny as I expected but it was good for a few little laughs. The characters are very original and well played. Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver are by far the best parts of this film. I really enjoyed their rolls in this film. The film has a good pace to it. It moves quickly enough to keep your attention. Tim Allen did well with the overall direction of this film and the film really sticks to its title because it is "Crazy on the Outside" for the ex-con Tommy that Tim Allen plays. I think it was a cute little film and I would recommend it.
May 9, 2010
Not half bad. It has its dull moments but I really like all the little sarcastic humor throughtout the film. Tim Allen is good but Sigorney Weaver is the best!